Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there a way to increase my attribute cap?  (Read 3834 times)

Is there a way to increase my attribute cap?
« on: June 17, 2015, 10:26:56 pm »

So, I made an adventurer and I want to train him till he can punch a bronze colossus to death. But those damn attribute caps are stopping me from achieving this!

So, what I'm asking for is a way to just edit ONLY my adventurer's attribute cap without having to increase the cap for his entire race. Also, can someone please tell me how to check the exact numbers of my attributes?

« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 07:01:41 am by Dwarfy the Dwarf Dwarf »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a way to increase my attribute cap?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 11:08:56 pm »

You can do this without hacks if you train until it stops getting any better (just use macros with a strength-training skill you repeat ad nauseam) and then get yourself vampirized by drinking the blood of a vampire, which causes a one-time multiplication of your strength.

All attributes reach an absolute max at 5000, anyway, and if you started off by upping your strength in character creation, your strength cap would be something close to 4000, anyway, so vampirism or other undead-ification would easily propel you the rest of the way if you were already strong enough.

Note that 5000 strength is not enough to do ridiculous things with, in any event.  You can carry a lot more and do several times as much damage, but you're far better off training your fighter skill to deal more damage in a punch.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 12:45:01 am »

My adventurer is already a vampire and he turned into one when he reached superhuman strength and agility. I don't know the exact number of his strength, but he's strong enough to make body parts explode with a kick so I assume it's around 4000. Strangely, even with a Legendary 8000 wrestling skill, he's incapable of strangling or throwing big animals and this really frustrates me. There's no way a human vampire could punch a hole through a bronze colossus's chest if he can't even wrestle alligators!
So, my point is, HOW DO I UP MY ATTRIBUTE CAP PLEASE TELLLL

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 01:18:19 am »

You cannot increase attributes after turning vampire, so you're stuck with whatever you have.

But still, it's unlikely it's any number besides 5000 at that point, anyway, and it's impossible to raise it past that by any means. 

Simply put, you just plain can't punch holes in Bronze Colossi with a humanoid that weighs less than a ton.  DF just isn't meant to be that kind of game, and BCs are MEANT to be extremely difficult to kill.   
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 03:38:21 am »

You cannot increase attributes after turning vampire, so you're stuck with whatever you have.

But still, it's unlikely it's any number besides 5000 at that point, anyway, and it's impossible to raise it past that by any means. 

Simply put, you just plain can't punch holes in Bronze Colossi with a humanoid that weighs less than a ton.  DF just isn't meant to be that kind of game, and BCs are MEANT to be extremely difficult to kill.

Yes, I know being vampire stops further attribute gains and I know DF isn't THAT kind of game, but what I ask is very very simple. Just, JUST tell me how, IF possible a way to cheat and increase the attribute cap of just one adventurer without having to alter the attribute cap of an entire race. That's it.
I probably won't be able to punch a hole through a bronze colossus even if I have a strength value of over 5000, but c'mon. I just wanna experiment and have fun.

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015, 05:06:47 pm »

mod the game so you can be an adamantine colossus.
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.

JayThePro

• Bay Watcher
  • [PERSONALITY:SELF_CONTROL:0:2:100]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2015, 02:49:43 am »

mod the game so you can be an adamantine colossus.
Loved doing this in v34. Probably going to go back to that until v40 get's a lil easier? Fun, but difficult.

OT: As a Vampire, if you didn't do your shit before then...lol gg.
If you find a book, usually you can have your skills increased as a necromancer. I mean...you used to? Idk if that was my mods or not. I don't beleive so. That being said, maxing your skills before vampirism is best. FFR.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2015, 04:29:48 am »

I prefer slade colossus, myself. Makes my punches pack more of a punch.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2015, 05:51:55 am »

That's why I like the powering up modding stuff and artifake gear.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 11:54:12 am »

I prefer slade colossus, myself. Makes my punches pack more of a punch.

Slade colossus + endless silver coins.

RealFear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 03:51:33 am »

Yes, I know being vampire stops further attribute gains and I know DF isn't THAT kind of game, but what I ask is very very simple. Just, JUST tell me how, IF possible a way to cheat and increase the attribute cap of just one adventurer without having to alter the attribute cap of an entire race. That's it.
I probably won't be able to punch a hole through a bronze colossus even if I have a strength value of over 5000, but c'mon. I just wanna experiment and have fun.

5000 is the max of everything in the entire game. It's blanketed over all creatures for every attribute and isn't decided on a race by race basis. This is seemingly unchangeable, or at least I've never seen somebody change it before through modding.

A adventurer's strength cap, as mentioned earlier (if accurate, ain't in the mood for fact checking) is normally 4000 and the only reason you can beat that is because of being a vampire, so technically you've already "cheated" as much as possible. Hell, your the living embodiment of the concept of physical strength at that point.

But...

The colossus is around 300x as big as you, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's strength was in the 4000-5000 range as well, but it's sheer size makes that irrelevant unless it had very, very, little strength. Size has A LOT to do with how easy it is to push things around and the amount of force behind your punches, so if you want to beat the bronze colossus with wrestling/fists like it's nothing, you'll have to increase in size. I don't think you can do that without changing everybody your race, though, but I've not checked it make sure.

It's a reverse hostage situation, if you kill the snatchers they'll fill your fort with babies.

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 11:12:28 am »

Hence: Slade Colossus
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2015, 09:20:12 pm »

5000 is the max of everything in the entire game. It's blanketed over all creatures for every attribute and isn't decided on a race by race basis. This is seemingly unchangeable, or at least I've never seen somebody change it before through modding.
Hohoho, you should see the dragonball z mod, in there 5,000 is a low strength value.

Also bronze colossuses have default attribute values meaning on average they'll have 1,000 strength, endurance, and toughness.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 09:38:59 am by vjmdhzgr »
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2015, 09:40:33 pm »

I don't believe anyone mentioned the gm-editor that comes with df-hack. You can use that to modify your attributes, and I believe there is also a size variable for your character somewhere in there. Though I am not sure if putting your attributes over 5000 with it will have much effect, the game might just handle something over 5000 as if it were set to 5000.
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2015, 07:12:13 am »

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA