Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20

Author Topic: Darkness Redeemed: Multiplayer RPG (7/7)  (Read 23061 times)

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
Re: Darkness Redeemed: Multiplayer RPG
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2015, 01:49:25 pm »

Argark is going to fall behind over time, due to his lack of magic. Sure, a max of 100 elbow grease is nice, but virtually everything you can do with elbow grease, you can do with magic. Making a kingdom to provide you with magic via supporters is a possibility, but it would probably have to be made up of wandering monsters (I'm not saying that's a bad thing; in fact, that would be a great character goal), and it would be really hard to find someone to fix you.

You are now having excessive amounts of fun

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2015, 04:06:43 pm »

Argark is going to fall behind over time, due to his lack of magic. Sure, a max of 100 elbow grease is nice, but virtually everything you can do with elbow grease, you can do with magic. Making a kingdom to provide you with magic via supporters is a possibility, but it would probably have to be made up of wandering monsters (I'm not saying that's a bad thing; in fact, that would be a great character goal), and it would be really hard to find someone to fix you.

I mean, sure, 100 elbow grease can create a crater by punching the ground, but can't a spell caster create an asteroid to do that or something? Heck, couldn't a spell caster create a magitech version of Argark or buff themselves with muscle magic to the point that they have 100 elbow grease?
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2015, 04:14:49 pm »

The only functional difference between physical and magical classes in this setting is how they go about tossing Giant asteroids around at super sonic speed since tech/magic levels are wildly variable.

I refuse to spoil much more than that though.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2015, 05:03:47 pm »

Well. Hopefully his clockwork brain also gives him a shit ton of PP then. Since he's a tinkerer he'll need it.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2015, 06:24:49 pm »

Well. Hopefully his clockwork brain also gives him a shit ton of PP then. Since he's a tinkerer he'll need it.
Yeah, especially since he can't enchant things and his repetitiveness makes him terrible at artificery, due to his inability to be precise  ("This recipie calls for one pint of blood." *Puts in 2-3 pints of blood*).

The only functional difference between physical and magical classes in this setting is how they go about tossing Giant asteroids around at super sonic speed since tech/magic levels are wildly variable.

So, you're trying to make those who can rewrite reality at will equal in power to those who can't?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 06:34:07 pm by ATHATH »
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2015, 06:59:18 pm »

Yeah, especially since he can't enchant things and his repetitiveness makes him terrible at artificery, due to his inability to be precise  ("This recipe calls for one pint of blood." *Puts in 2-3 pints of blood*).

What. It specifically says he IS precise. On his sheet. Using words.

So, you're trying to make those who can rewrite reality at will equal in power to those who can't?

Huh, I don't see anyone who can rewrite reality at will here. All I see is a couple people who can use a different resource to accomplish slightly different tasks. But yes, many things ARE impossible to do without magic. For example, flight, instantaneous long range communication, powerful ranged attacks, making complex artifacts, creating new races. All of these things are only possible through magic and not through any alternative routes. [/sarcasm]

EDIT:

On a more productive note, I have no idea what exactly the good Baron's Prewind ability does. The description is somewhat vague and additional elaboration would be nice.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 07:01:59 pm by Arcvasti »
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2015, 09:27:58 pm »

Yo dawgs, it's cool. I don't mind being a little weaker than everyone else. Not a problem. Really, don't worry about it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
For real though ATHATH, I appreciate your concern, but I'll be good.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2015, 10:44:17 pm »

A pair of spectacles with Clear Steel lenses enchanted with Sizeification and many various Skeel frames Perspectivity'd together, maybe enchanted with Changing Sigil in some way as well?

To be honest, I fail to see how a shapeshifter's glasses would be of much use in necro-mechanic. Nice job coming up with the recipe, though.

Noj and Xander have to run into each other at some point, even if only to set off both of our startle effects simultaneously.

I'm guessing the end result of that encounter would be one terrified, spore-covered mouse being chased into the sunset by a mushroom man wielding a gigantic chain sword.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 19, 2015, 10:47:36 pm »

And then the eldritch cat shows up. And begins chasing the mouse.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
« Reply #69 on: June 19, 2015, 10:48:09 pm »

By the looks of the art, I think your mouse would likely be bigger than my mushroom. This adds greatly to the humor.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 19, 2015, 11:54:15 pm »

Turn 3: 12:25 AM

(People saying you need magic to rewrite reality clearly do not understand pseudoscience. all it takes is 1/4 parts Handwavium and 13 jigawatts of Applied Phlebotinum.  A clockwork brain after all is quite an impressive thing.)

Kiki drifts upwards towards the essence filled fruits, before opening one of its many mouths and attempting to absorb one of them.

Kiki Sucessfully Consumes one of the energy laden fruit, the crisp flavor unlike many he has tasted. it's essence will take time to digest, but nothing time cannot handle.

Spoiler: Oink (Iituem) (click to show/hide)

Oink tries to grab the shiniest bit of magician still left and then breaks into a dead run waddle for the countryside.  No reason to get caught up in hubris.  [Spend EG as needed to escape falling burning rafters etc.]

You quickly grab whatever you can find from the remains before breaking out into a waddle towards the countryside, eventually though you are most definitely forced to Rush, Dodging the hazards of the human stampede, and the burning straw and wood of the buildings. -3 EG

After Several minutes, you finally make it out of that godforsaken place. and look at your loot.

Just a simple quartz lens mostly charred form the fire, it's smokey texture covers the outer edges of the Flattened cylinder.

Spoiler: Araboth (Erizap) (click to show/hide)

You decide to meditate for a time, you sense something uneasy, but ignore it.

Spoiler: The Librarian (ATHATH) (click to show/hide)

Previous Turn: Attach the rope to the door and pull.
This Turn: Step inside and open the nearest book, provided that I'm not in danger.

What do you mean by "Monkey's Paw Gear" (yes, I know what the monkey's paw is)?

You attach the rope to the door and begin to pull...

A few minutes, two raw palms and a sheen of sweat later and you manage to crack the door open ever so slightly. -1 EG

Walking inside, you Snatch the first book you see from the shelf.

The title is in a strange text, and it's binding is studded with ruby red gems. opaque and rounded.

10 You hear a fwip, and the doors close behind you, drowning you in darkness.

Spoiler: Noj  (Spiderking50) (click to show/hide)

I cautiously test to see if I can move along this ceiling. What are these grey things? I judge to see if i would be hurt by falling. I look for anything else of interest either hanging or far below.

You can indeed move along the ceiling, slowly right now, as any faster seems to risk you losing your Grip.

You have no idea if Falling would hurt you.

Nothing else of interest, but you cannot see everything on the ceiling because it curves upward eventually on all sides.

0-It appears the good Baron has neglected to find a way DOWN from their new vantage point. This was probably a mistake on the good Baron's part.-0

The good Baron attempts to climb towards the white oblong thing by traversing the treetops. The good Baron is almost certain this is a good idea.

4, The Baron, er. Gracefully, steps down from the trees, deeming the... minor harm to his front leg an acceptable loss. -1 HP

--He will begin walking next turn unless otherwise specified.

Spoiler: Argrark (Shadowhammer) (click to show/hide)

Great! Plenty of stuff to start a town with. Argrark just needs one more thing... knock down a sizable portion of the town wall and drag it over to Argrark's pile of stuff. Make a lean-to with the small tree and the wall, use rocks to keep the lean-to from sliding apart. Use grass and plants and whatever to fill the gaps between the tree branches so that the tree side is almost solid.
ASCII version:
front view

#
  # \
O# @ \Oo

# wall
O rock
\ tree
@ Argrark

You ram into the wall, Smashing it down with your metal body. and drag it over to the pile you have made. -1 EG

You construct a crude Lean-to to begin your glorious new Town. -1 EG

Spoiler: Waitlist (click to show/hide)

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
« Reply #71 on: June 20, 2015, 12:24:08 am »

I try to move along the veiling and climb up the curving sides (assuming I don't notice anything of interest in the meantime).
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 20, 2015, 12:43:16 am »

Kiki focuses inward. What kind of essence does it feel like?

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 20, 2015, 01:42:58 am »

Yo dawgs, it's cool. I don't mind being a little weaker than everyone else. Not a problem. Really, don't worry about it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
For real though ATHATH, I appreciate your concern, but I'll be good.
Mm. Alright, but keep in mind that your only viable method of success (that I know of) is through diplomacy, due to your main stat being replicable by around 8 hobos (you can't risk using more than half of your elbow grease at any time, due to repetitiveness, so you average at about 75 safe elbow grease, assuming you spend it one point at a time. Valerik, an out of shape wimp, regenerates around 10 elbow grease per day).

Take the book. Read another one nearby it. Rest if it is an appropriate time to do so.

How much (on average) do my stats regenerate by each day? What are the mana costs of my spells? Is there clay nearby? Do you use a random number (?) generator for the spells?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 20, 2015, 01:56:03 am »

With some difficulty, because trotters, Oink lifts up the lens and peers through it.  "Ooh, smokey."

Oink takes stock of his situation.

"Right then.  Good news, alive.  Bad news, I'm a pig!  I swear if that wizard wasn't already toasted I'd gnaw him to death."

In long years alone, festooned with gems, Oink had fallen into the habit of talking to himself.  Sometimes narrating to himself.  Sometimes singing.

"Ohhhh... Lost in the sticks,
Stuck as a pig!
None of it makes a lick
of sense!  But the trick
I'm sure is to con my way
Back to gold and fortune ev'ry-day!
"

Enough going mad with stress, Oink has work to do!  Oink attempts to find some clueless dispossessed rube and convince him that he's a magical wish-granting pig.  And a sack as well, because carrying everything in his mouth is going to get old fast.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20