Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Rise of the (Kobold) God: My Shaman is Better Than Yours [Discussion Thread]  (Read 5733 times)

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile

Well I mean the whole point is that they're the same. Taking away one is the same as giving the other and both could be used as valuable resources in their raw form. But if we choose Death then we can instill a love and tolerance perspective to the spheres early on allowing for late game shenanigans.
Do you mean that you're choosing death because it's hated? Couldn't we just pick up equality, balance, or acceptance (as spheres) later on?
Because the GM stonewalled us on that front.
Well I mean a death cult is usually a bunch of emo murderers. We are using death magic to resurrect people and give worthy and willing people in the afterlife a purpose as weapons and advisors.
I'm not seeing where they'd want to be bound into items to serve as weapons and advisers, instead of living forever, with available rezzes in case of accidental death (Or oblivion. That sounds pretty nice compared with being shoved into a crossbow).
Well if we're gonna go for the balance of Life and Death then I think it would be best to only give them agelessness and a limited amount of respawns. Plus being a talking weapon of legend that doesn't have to eat sound pretty cool to me. Honestly doing what the orcish shamans did seems like the best option.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 07:47:16 pm by The Froggy Ninja »

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, my opinion:
-Life has better potential. Life is movement. Death is static. Life also is better for diplomatic purposes.
-Going the duality route is dangerous or at least annoying. I'd rather not risk it.
-Life cults sound way more manageable than death cults. Worse thing we get are elves. Which is not really that bad, even with cannibalism included.
-The sphere of nature is not exactly necessary to do Earth magic, so there is no need to go that route.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Froggy Ninja: Why do you want Life/Death, though? What do you want our civilization to look like, that needs the Death sphere? What zany schemes are you hoping to munchkin out of Life/Death that makes it worth the sphere cost and maintaining balance? Artifacts don't much need a Death sphere (although we'd probably be able to harvest more souls for them with Death).

So, my opinion:
-Life has better potential. Life is movement. Death is static. Life also is better for diplomatic purposes.
[snip]
-The sphere of nature is not exactly necessary to do Earth magic, so there is no need to go that route.
I'd actually argue that long life leads to more static unchanging social structures, but it doesn't much matter if we can lead everything. (Come to think of it, it'd probably be easier for us to lead without politicians who have been working at it for 300 years, unless we manage to fully convert them all.)
Still, I agree on getting Life without Death and on not getting Nature.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile

Well for one thing simultaneously removing one while adding the other will lead to some badass combo moves and if we are able to accept that things as supposedly different as Life and Death aren't opposites then it'll smooth the way into a culture more accepting of new input and innovations.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well for one thing simultaneously removing one while adding the other will lead to some badass combo moves and if we are able to accept that things as supposedly different as Life and Death aren't opposites then it'll smooth the way into a culture more accepting of new input and innovations.
Yes but we might be risking in piegonholing ourselves royally. We don't know the challenges before us...

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, my opinion:
-Going the duality route is dangerous or at least annoying. I'd rather not risk it.
-Life cults sound way more manageable than death cults. Worse thing we get are elves. Which is not really that bad, even with cannibalism included.
You took the words right out of my mouth.

Can we get peace as a sphere? Would that help smooth the opposing spheres (except for war, of course)?
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, my opinion:
You took the words right out of my mouth.
Can we get peace as a sphere? Would that help smooth the opposing spheres (except for war, of course)?
Yes Life/Earth sounds like a versatile, maybe a bit underwhelming, but functional specialization.
Or just a more generic Life/Magic.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 10:44:50 pm by evilcherry »

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The opposite of War is Diplomacy, which is an option yes.

Also, I just ... re: continuing to insist on Life/Death:

I'm not railroading anyone into anything, but opposites ultimately can accomplish the same things, with training and the application of lateral thinking.

It just takes longer time to get to some things from different starting points.

My number line analogy is there for a reason.

Now if your purpose is just 'image,' that's different, but even that can be manipulated. Spin doctors are interesting people.
Call me Vari. It's easier to type.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The opposite of War is Diplomacy, which is an option yes.

Also, I just ... re: continuing to insist on Life/Death:

I'm not railroading anyone into anything, but opposites ultimately can accomplish the same things, with training and the application of lateral thinking.

It just takes longer time to get to some things from different starting points.

My number line analogy is there for a reason.

Now if your purpose is just 'image,' that's different, but even that can be manipulated. Spin doctors are interesting people.
Ah, so to get to two with life magic, you need to add one, but death magic requires you to add three. The difference is static, though, so reaching one hundred isn't much harder with death than life.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Would vote counting help? I counted the votes. I blocked them together based on quote pyramid +1s being changed each time (Not that it really matters with this particular set of votes).

In the future, it there are going to be a few days between updates, it might be easier if we had 24 hours after vote proposals to vote on sets of actions. (Or maybe not. I think I'd generally prefer to have everything go with one set of actions than some sort of bad mis-mash between two, and it would save GM effort on deciding whether or not to include barely popular free or cheap actions that nobody voted against.)

Code: (Votes) [Select]
[4]Use 0.25 Influence to give Krati a dream about better fungi "planting" methods (Lurker, Generally me, Froggy Ninja, Iituem)
[2]Use 0.25 Influence to give Ch'eeln a dream about using a fishing-rod, not a net (Lurker, Froggy Ninja)
[3]Use 0.25 Influence to give Ch'eeln a dream about using a net, not a fishing rod (Generally me, Iituem, Froggy Ninja)
[4]Finally, use 0.5 Influence on a dream to Ch'oln [about mushroom scratches being better in the shade.] (Lurker, Generally me, Froggy Ninja, Iituem)
[4]Let shaman guide them through the process after the dreams. (Same voters as above)
[4]Tell shaman more about brewing.
[4]Use 0.25 Influence on our Shaman, and show her a dream of how the ritual was originally conducted, partially as areward. Then talk about how the rites were conducted.

[3]Tell the shaman about nets, so she can share this information with the fisher. (Tomcost, Demonic Spoon, Nirur)
[1]Have the shaman tell the trapper to help the fisher with the net(Tomcost)
[1]Spend two influence to inspire the peasant with knapping.
[1]Spend 1 influence to make Tuaki (likes oddly shaped rocks, is a scrapper) have a dream about rocks being banged against each other, changing forms, gaining an edge. The shaman should be aware of this after this happens and encourage him to try some stuff. (Tom)
[1]If peasant knapper manages to make knives, speak with shaman, telling her to tie the knives to the ends of sturdy sticks creating spears. Have her tell the warriors to take up the spears, and use them to hunt for food.(Spoon)
[2]Spend 0.25 influence to send the shaman a vision with as detailed instructions and diagrams of fermenting alcohol as we can manage. (Spoon, Nirur)
[2]Tell the shaman to have the peasant go around the vilage, encouraging him to find what he likes to do. If nothing proves successful, do the same thing that with the storyteller. (Tom, Nirur)
[1]Tell the shaman to spend more time with the storyteller, and tell her one or two short stories for her to tell to the storyteller, maybe something about the origin of the stars, and how we are realted to the origin of everything. Then make her say to him that for more stories, we need a ritual, and that the shaman needs help with that. Hopefully the shaman will gain an assitant, and maybe they can research together some stuff. Two bolds think better than one!(Tomcost)
[1]Ask the shaman to spend more time with the storyteller, and tell her one or two short stories for her to tell to the storyteller, maybe something about the origin of the stars, and how we are related to the origin of everything.(Nirur)
[1]Ask the shaman to continue watching over the fisher so he doesn't drown while trying to figure out fishing, and to continue attempts at alcohol creation.(Nirur)

[1] Teach Krati to look for formations that look alike each day, when gazing the night, and have him work with the trapper.(Detoxicated)

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I really appreciate vote counting, though I'll always do at least a quick double check, unless more than one person n verifies maybe.

I had a bit of an emergency today, so I'm sorry for the delay. I know I gave myself up to a week between posts, but I've been so active I wanted to say something when I got a chance. Hopefully I'll be able to get back to it tomorrow!  :(

Just didn't want anyone too concerned with the game or me dropping off suddenly, so hopped on my tablet to make a post.

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, I kinda reinjured my arm a bit.

That means that vignette drawings may not happen in updates for about a week. We'll see if I can handle it after a couple of days, but I'm currently "on orders" not to do much of anything for at least a few days.

I can still do text updates though.  :P

Sl4cker

• Bay Watcher
  • clouds are pretty :)
    • View Profile

Is there time for Rukiti to create and activate a summoning circle before Uiti gets punished?
Quote from: Empiricist
I mean no one wants dead whales and abortion clinics juxtaposed with each other, but it's just something that happens! Like false vacuum decay!
carrot cakeu

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nope. Preparation for a ritual takes a season.

You can -talk to her- however you want, freely, but punishment in your childrens' tribes right now is generally swift, if not always just, as without proof the older 'bolds will generally win the 'case.'

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Text updates are perfectly fine! Don't worry, let your arm heal in peace.

On the subject of the vignette, here is what I think we should do:

Step 1) Impose an ultimatum: Tell the shaman to stop the tension by giving each one of the kobolds the possibility to prove their claims during the period of one day. This is likely to be accepted (as it is a good compromise between the incoming punishment and just letting them free). During this period of time, they would be subject to questioning by everyone, and careful vigilance.
Step 2) Tell the shaman what we know about him. His reaction was understandable, given the circumstances. We don't want anyone to be punished here.
Step 3) Gather those that we trust: we must make sure to tell the believers that we want no violence here, and a tell a vague phrase to those who are starting to believe: "It trusts that you will act with wisdom. Don't let him down"
Step 4) During the shaman's period to question both kobolds, we tell something different to each one:
-We tell the storyteller that we know that he is telling the truth, yet he must stand in a low profile. The tribe is more likely to punish him, and so he must be cautious with what he says.
-The shaman will confront the thief. She will begin by camly telling him that we know. We know everything. Yet we understand what he did, because we are a part of him as much as he is a part of us, even if he hasn't realized that. Upon the disbelief that it will create, the shaman will describe the place where he stored the stolen goods. She will then say: "If tomorrow you confess your crime, I will ensure that your punishment is lowered. Yours was an act of fear, yet still a crime. Our deity cares for all of us, believers or not, yet justice is going to be dispensed if you don't repent." She will then leave.
Step 5) During the night, we send calming dreams to the whole tribe.
Step 6) No matter what happens, we make the shaman go with the whole tribe to the palce where the goods are.
Step 7) At the end of the season, the shaman has to make a ritual, no matter how imperfect it is, to show everybody that we are here and we are responsible of finding the truth in the past, and we explain the thief's motives to steal, then tell everybody that we care for all of them, and that, even if they are not believers, they are welcome in the tribe, because we care for each and every of them. We are a part of them as they are a part of us.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6