Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Rise of the (Kobold) God: My Shaman is Better Than Yours [Discussion Thread]  (Read 5738 times)

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Currently yes you have initially conceived as resurrection as pertaining to the Death sphere, because it was brought up as remove-death through soul-weaving. The idea was to return a soul to a dead body, so it involves the sphere of Death.

You did not come up with the idea as 'add-life.' It was under the context of necromancy or, as  I said, remove-death or alter-death.
Call me Vari. It's easier to type.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Currently yes you have initially conceived as resurrection as pertaining to the Death sphere, because it was brought up as remove-death through soul-weaving. The idea was to return a soul to a dead body, so it involves the sphere of Death.

You did not come up with the idea as 'add-life.' It was under the context of necromancy or, as  I said, remove-death or alter-death.
Given this, Death should be a subset of the life sphere, as it is defined as "no life".

Necromancy is basically mechanocracy.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile

Exactly! Death and Life go hand in hand. They're practically identical. We need to teach our 'bolds that.

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Given this, Death should be a subset of the life sphere, as it is defined as "no life".

Necromancy is basically mechanocracy.

"No" is not an acceptable modifier for a Sphere concept. Remove-death creates life in that you actively take death away from something (or add-life actively adds life to something). Death sphere cannot simply create the state of no-death, however.

Quantitative modifiers only, not static state modifiers.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, we would need both life and death to get to the point where we can revive people and heal them?

But, wait, I got an idea: we can cast the spells that our own bolds know, so, if they, on their own, learn how to heal people, we would be able to do so too!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As you contemplate the nature of magic and enchantment, you realise that necromancy could also happen from soul-weaving, which falls under your Magic sphere. Magic covers both influencing followers to tap into magic at all, as well as magics that 'touch' the dreamstuff or outside-creation.
It seems we could use either life+magic or death to revive people?

Edit, or, really, life+magic, flesh mages, and soul-weaver mages.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 02:26:09 pm by Nirur Torir »

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Soul weaving is necessary either way, unless you want mindless animated corpses.

;D

Let's say you have a corpse. The soul has left. You can view it two ways.

One, the flesh is filled with death. Your death sphere flesh weavers would pull the death out of the corpse. This is remove-death.

Two, the flesh is empty of life. Your life sphere flesh weavers would stuff it full of life. This is add-life.

Either way, you end up with a mindless, shambling corpse that is a husk operating on basic, wired responses from the brain*. Ya get zombies. Now the soul-weaver steps in and knits a soul to the animated corpse, and bam, the soul inhabits the corpse and it lives again.

*this is not a hard science game, so consciousness is assumed to be stored in the soul; the brain is the computer for the machine, but it needs an operator to "work right."

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fine but I still think we should try for both.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, if I had to choose one, I would go with life, as I said.

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well I'm not the one who decides that, though mortals inherently are going to have issues with opposing spheres. It was set out as a rule and we aren't breaking our own rules.

You can still teach the same lessons regardless, and pursue whatever goals you want.

I'm just trying to set out an understanding of how magic creation will work so you can all properly cheese the system in the future. :P

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well. Are the Spheres innately opposite or is it a psychological thing?

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mmm. That's a good question, innit? ;D

What are 1 and -1 if the midpoint is 0?

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Values whose absolute valor are the same but the direction in which the axis moved is different?

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mmhm.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6