Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Pawns [A God Game]  (Read 7330 times)

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
Re: Pawns [A God Game]
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2015, 12:28:11 am »

What has been done in non-fluff terms]Tar-Azath will spend one power on Anna to make her a pawn.

Heads up: it costs two per turn to make a child a pawn.

It costs 2 Power per turn to make a child (<15) a Pawn, 5 Power to make a young adult (<35) a Pawn, and 8 Power to make an adult or elder a Pawn.

Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2015, 12:54:05 am »

Destun looked upon his believers, and saw in them a great potential. Though they had not the best of characteristics, and they were both either maturing or matured, they had in them the seeds that could create an empire. Though he would not make a pawn of either of them yet, he would find another way to influence the tribe.

He chose Ishti, the younger of the two potentials, to lead his crusade of belief into the world.

He would grant the girl a rather beneficial form of magic, her touch and influence carrying benign effects. These included the healing of mind and body, a momentary spark of energy in a time of great tiredness, and inspiration of the mind. ((He spends 8 Power on this, providing a rather pronounced effect.))

Ishti and those affected will have the urge to offer prayer to Destun for their gift. They may do this in private or publicly.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 01:00:01 am by Pencil_Art »

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2015, 12:57:50 am »

What has been done in non-fluff terms]Tar-Azath will spend one power on Anna to make her a pawn.

Heads up: it costs two per turn to make a child a pawn.

It costs 2 Power per turn to make a child (<15) a Pawn, 5 Power to make a young adult (<35) a Pawn, and 8 Power to make an adult or elder a Pawn.

(OOC - Ack, oops. Fixed. On another note, is this game going to get an OOC thread?)
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

TheLordofHouseRiley

• Bay Watcher
  • Cutting down the enemies of the emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2015, 09:17:49 pm »

Can i get wait listed or put in the game? if not just posting to watch

Character
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2015, 09:50:45 pm »

Spoiler: PTW+WL (click to show/hide)
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2015, 01:24:51 pm »

[Long update is long.  OOC thread will come when it does.  Sadly, cannot accept further applications for now, but let's consider these waitlisted.]
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2015, 01:39:42 pm »

Oh yeah, wanted to asked:

You answer her the next time she dreams, explaining to her the concept of mud baths (complete with pictures and visualisations), then the details.  You show her the concept of step terraces filled with growing plants, and the knowledge of how to build them and grow crops.  Finally, you encourage her to move into the nearby caves for shelter, as for now her people have slept beneath the stars.

[1, 6+1, 6+1, 1+1]

What are the +1 modifiers here? And the roll is a d6 right?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2015, 12:25:10 pm »

((Hahahaha oh yes.))

• Make Gorrin my pawn. (8 Power)
  • Bestow upon him a boon of rapid healing and recovery. (1 Power)
  • In his dream-vision, give him a quest: Spread the knowledge of My being and faith in My gift of life. How he does so is up to him, but pleasing me and spreading the faith will yield rewards, just as sowing the fields well will reap a rich harvest. (1 Power to enhance his Boon's strength if he a) manages to start generating Power for me, b) converts a decent number of people, OR 1 Power to grant him a new Boon which allows him to sense the life around him if he sires half a dozen children but fails to do A or B.
You visit Gorrin in his dreams, introducing yourself and your curacy over life.

"The fuck is this?" says Gorrin.

You explain that you are visiting him in a dream because you have chosen him to -

"What do you want, arse-face?"

Ah.  Tricky one, this.  You repeat that you are the god of life and that you want to grant him a boon.

"Oh sure, and tomorrow the rivers will run with milk and honey.  Pull the other one."

No, really.  As a sign of your power, you grant him health - the next time he is injured he will find himself recovering much faster than expected.

"Sure, I believe you.  Hundreds wouldn't, but I will.  Tell you what, fuck off and if I find out you're speaking truth I'll come back and talk again."

He folds his arms and turns away from you in this sunny dreamscape, waiting to wake up.  You oblige him.

[5] As luck would have it, not three weeks later he falls down the valley and breaks his arm!  Over the next three weeks it heals with a speed that seems not unnatural but which is clearly far faster than the months it should have taken.  Once he has regained the full use of it he calls out to you; "Guleran, Guleran!"  You visit him in his dreams.

"All right," he says, "you can do what you claim.  What do you want from me?"

You command him to spread the word of you, of the miracle and that pleasing you and spreading your faith will yield rewards as sowing the fields will yield a rich harvest.  [2] He frowns at your agricultural metaphor, but thinks no more on the matter.  This said, when he wakes he sets about his business.

[5+1] The story of your visitation spreads like wildfire amongst the village, heightened by the blessedly fast recovery of Gorrin's arm.  Coupled with his relatively high position in the tribe, people begin praising your name.  It becomes a minor custom to give thanks to you before eating a kill or at the end of a fruitful day of foraging.  It's a good start, and you reward Gorrin by strengthening his blessing further.

[Income: 9 Power/Turn]

But firstly, I must gain a way of absorbing power. I wish to tell the old woman that many gods other than myself have awoken, and I sense that, although most of them house little malicious intent, they may threaten the world in the future. For the task of protecting the world, I require power, worshippers. She has a connection to my power and she will become my priest.

[-8 Power] You visit Esmerelda in a dream, appearing in your magnificent humanoid form.  She... reacts less awestruck than you might have expected.  Instead she just stares at you, her face a closed book.  You introduce yourself as the god of that which is otherworldly and eternal, and tell her not to fear your presence.  Again, she does not react strongly, save for a minute narrowing of the eyes.  Unperturbed, you press on, explaining that others gods have come into being, some will malice in their hearts and that they will threaten the world.  Speaking truthfully to her, you tell her that you stand to protect the world but that you cannot do it alone.  You need her people to herald your coming, to hold your name in reverence that you might draw strength from them.  With her connection to your power, you can speak and act through her.

She is silent for a long time, her dark eyes mulling over your words.  She nods, and wakes.

[5] Inscrutable as she is, your words seem to have struck home.  She approaches her tribe, not all at once where she might be challenged but in groups of two and three, informing them of her vision in sober tones.  She tells them of powerful spirits that have descended upon the world (in very matter-of-fact tones) and that by heralding your coming you would gain the power to protect the tribe against them.

It is a slow and quiet revolution, but stories of your name spread amongst the people of the Steppe Tribe.  By year's end you have a quiet following and an expectation of a miracle.

[Power income: 9/turn]

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You don't really have the power to grant boons like that right now (you will recover some in the coming year), but you visit Urtul in his dreams and tell him to spread the word - continue to worship you and in time you will change the worthy further.

And so, Tar-Azath, having slept in this eon and then gotten distracted by things that have nothing to do with this world, finally looks down upon the works of mortals and pronounces that, while toolmaking is a step in the right direction, he desires that the mortals do more, dream more, that they seek greater wonders. And so he reaches out to the child he has chosen to preach his ways...

Anna, the child he has chosen, is a young child, to young to yet do much. But is it not true with all creations that work must be done before they can be said to be complete? And in so growing, his chosen will be shaped as he desired from the start, instead of having to work around any undesirable elements that might otherwise show up.

And is he not a god? Tar-Azath has patience. What is the time needed for a mortal to grow to one such as him? He can wait for a project to finish.

Thusly he blesses the child, spending a portion of his power to firstly make her a pawn, and then spending more to grant her the gifts needed to be a worthy pawn of Tar-Azath! Musically inclined as she is, he shall see to it that she remains not merely some minor tune twiddler, but puts legends themselves to verse! Once she grows up that is.

But he can wait. An epic or three is worth the wait.

[-2, -2, -2, -1 Power]  You forge your connection to the child while she is still in her infancy, and it is one that will hold for the rest of her life.  You appear to Anna in her dreams, coaching her and inspiring her.  It is tiring at times, and you find yourself as responsible for raising the child as her parents, but your influence shows.  She learns to sing before she learns to speak, and her sense of rhythm when smacking bits of stretched leather clothing is impeccable.  All the adults think she is utterly adorable.

You, she calls "Ta-Zaff!", and her parents think it an imaginary friend, lauding the creativity of their child.  She sometimes scratches your sign in the dirt, and she talks about you to the other children her age, telling them about Ta-Zaff and how he's nice and sings to you and is fun.  The other kids pick up the idea of Ta-Zaff as well, and you stick in their imaginations as a sort of make-believe character.  It isn't much, but it's enough to sustain you.

[Power Income: 2]

Destun looked upon his believers, and saw in them a great potential. Though they had not the best of characteristics, and they were both either maturing or matured, they had in them the seeds that could create an empire. Though he would not make a pawn of either of them yet, he would find another way to influence the tribe.

He chose Ishti, the younger of the two potentials, to lead his crusade of belief into the world.

He would grant the girl a rather beneficial form of magic, her touch and influence carrying benign effects. These included the healing of mind and body, a momentary spark of energy in a time of great tiredness, and inspiration of the mind. ((He spends 8 Power on this, providing a rather pronounced effect.))

Ishti and those affected will have the urge to offer prayer to Destun for their gift. They may do this in private or publicly.

Unseen by the mortals of the tribe, you descend upon one of those who had begun to believe in your uncertain essence and infuse her with powerful magic.  Rather than taught magic, you reshape her to draw power for this magical ability from herself, giving her the power to heal mind and body, to energise and to inspire with a touch.  As intended, the effect is pronounced - though it takes a lot out of her she can heal fresh wounds and illnesses.  You also weave a compulsion into the magic - when the healing takes place the name 'Destun' will force its way into their mind.

[2, 4] The change to the girl is not well received by all, especially as those healed do find themselves praising a force they know little of.  Her tribe polarises around her, with the smaller faction trusting and believing in her and this 'Destun', which they believe to the source of her powers, and the larger faction slightly ostracising her for her abilities.  The good news is that her abilities are in lesser demand, so even though she heals frequently she is not overly drained by it.

On the one hand, you have developed a fairly dedicated if small cult.  On the other hand, you are acquiring a measure of enmity in your cult's tribe.  Still, it brings you power enough.

[Income: 5/Turn]

Ignore my dickery, I missed your previous post

Corvric looked down upon the forest tribe and Victor, glad to see he hadn't chosen an idiot to receive his blessings, using favors garnered from others to hunt his prey, that was a stratagem most fools would have ignored, and that sacrifice, the power he felt, it was truly refreshing, so this is what worship feels like, he could get used to this. Looking down, Corvric made up his mind, he wasn't going to let this opportunity pass by...

It was in another of Victors dreams that Corvric came again, in a forest Victor was now the hunter, bringing down more prey, boars, dear, and even the occasional wolf, and it was in the middle of one of these hunts that Corvric came again, his great form slinking through the forest far more quietly than anything of that size should have the right to, approaching Victor from the side. When Victor finally did turn to his direction, Corvric was right next to him, startled, Victor stumbled backwards, to the amused chuckling of Corvric.

"Easy mortal, you have pleased me, that truly was a beast worthy of my power, but I wish you to know, that the offer remains, and to more than just you. Spread the word among your kin, bring me a great beast they have slain to the same cave in the dark of a new moon, and the greatest offering of the moon will see me give the one who offered it a boon, and in case you where wondering, yes you may try again if you wish Victor."

Have Victor tell his tribe that every new moon, any who wish to gain great power can sacrifice a great beast they have slain in the same cave.
I will grant a boon of 1 power to whoever brings me the greatest beast on that specific night with it's effects based upon the offering (though I will still accept all other offerings)

Edited to Clarify something

You re-visit Victor and establish a Covenant with him, a sort of automatic exchange of power.  Once per month on a new moon (and only then), whoever sacrifices the most impressive beast to you as a burnt offering will receive a blessing related to the kill.  That said, you will look favourably upon any offering you receive as well.

The Covenant is taken up by the tribe and a competition of sorts emerges amongst your worshippers.  [6] In fact, Victor returns again, having slain a wolf this time, and you imbue him with an aspect of its cunning.  In addition to Victor you bless ten others over the year with boons.  The power from the boons primarily comes from the sacrifice itself, however, but you do gain a small amount of power from the excess.

[Income increased to 11 Power/Turn]

It is now Year 2, First Hero's Time.

Spoiler: Pawns (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Potentials (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Gods (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 11:02:47 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2015, 12:26:39 pm »

We now have an OOC Thread.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2015, 12:36:21 pm »

Jud didn't know whether to be exasperated or satisfied, so settled for both at once. This Velda was certainly quite a character. Let's try to approach from a different angle. Entice rather than order.

Point out to Velda that now that they possess the secrets of agriculture, they should be less dependent on hunting and foraging to supply them with food, and should reconsider moving into some nearby caves again. Promise that you will reward the tribe if they do so. Also teach her some basic composting techniques they can use to increase the fertility of the soil, along with crop rotation. Help solve any other problems the tribe might be experiencing with transitioning to agriculture.

If she agrees, use 6 power to create a boon, a mudpot/mudspring of pleasantly warm and bubbling mud, inside the caverns the tribe moved into, those who bathe in the mud have their wounds healed and illnesses cured. Tell her the properties of the mudpool.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 12:48:15 pm by Demonic Spoon »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2015, 02:39:56 pm »

In the confines of his own mind, Guleran chortled, "Oh my, this one certainly is vivacious."

Come to Gorrin in a dream.

"My child, I have decided upon a course of action for the near future. I will direct my efforts towards making the home of your people more fruitful still. Go now, and continue to live your life howsoever you please, for all lives are pleasing to me in turn."

1 Power: Enhance the immediate lands of the valley tribe to grow larger, healthier crops.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2015, 02:47:24 pm »

My power is currently limited, so I wait. I reward my followers if they gather me more worshipers. (Provide them with any mutation that would be useful in this endeavor.) If possible, give them mutations that would cost 2 (minus the two for their sensibility. So free ones basically). If mutating other tribemembers would gather me more followers, then I do that as well (until I am out of power of course).
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2015, 03:26:06 pm »

Tar-Azath smiles as he sees the results of what he has done. For now the gains are low, but as his chosen grows so shall the rewards, and so shall the wonders she shall craft. Besides, given the current state of technology and how much power he has he doesn't really see any better options.

No, he'll wait for his chosen to mature, guiding her and teaching her as she grows.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2015, 04:19:19 pm »

PTW
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

Deny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2015, 08:46:10 pm »

Corvric looked down upon the tribe yet again and smiled. The power they gave him was mighty, and though Victor was a significant investment, the power he gave Corvic was growing more and more. But now it was time to make more change and power.

It was in Victor's sleep the second night of the year that Corvric appeared again, though to his mild disappointment his sudden appearance next to Victor was no longer quite so startling. Oh well.

"You have done well Victor, very well, it would appear that I was right in making you my herald. But now I have an offer that will benefit your whole tribe Victor. In the first full moon of the year if your tribe is willing to provide me with a worthy enough offering, I will grant your tribe bountiful hunting grounds for the whole year round. Your offering can be one great beast or many lesser beasts it does not matter, just so long as the offering is worthy enough to be accepted by me."

Regardless of whether or not the previous task is completed.

It was spring now, and Corvric had yet more plans to put in motion, he watched as the packs dispersed and began raising their young Corvric was still not sure why he choose the form he had, but the wolves themselves nevertheless interested him. Finding one family in the cave where he had first been realized, Corvric watched the pups squabble among themselves, they no longer required their mothers milk but where still to young to survive on their own, and Corvric had seen their father die, and the mother alone would not be able to sustain them. It seemed all where doomed to an early death, and such a pity too, they had so much potential.

And so another idea came to Corvric, he saw a new path, a new reward and most importantly, a new challenge at hand for Victor. First he reached down to the strongest of the six pups, and poured a small amount of his power into it, blessing it with heightened intelligence, and making it easier to train. Then on a whim he gave it pitch black fur and burning red eyes. After first ensuring the mother would not kill this new pup, he then went to visit Victor again.

"Victor, I have another challenge for you, return to the cave where you first met me, and give it a name while your at it. There you will find a mother wolf and her pups. Kill the mother; then skin her, eat her, offer her to me if you wish, but spare the pups, and give one to each of your companions if you wish, one if them will be for you and trust me you'll know which, then train them, raise them, and they will grow into loyal companions for you. This is my latest test, I do hope you won't disappoint."

Give Victor's tribe a challenge to give me a great offering (like a full grown bear or a full whole nights hunt). If they succeed use 2 power to bring bountiful game throughout the year to their hunting grounds.
 Regardless of whether the previous happens, bless a young wolf pup from the family in my cave with heightened intelligence, black fur and red eyes and make it easier to train. Make this hereditary and use 2 Power. Then direct Victor to kill the mother, take that pup and give the rest to any of his friends to train.

(done through my phone so there are probably errors)
EDIT: Fixed the phone errors
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 05:51:13 am by Deny »
In denial of sanity...

and insanity
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5