Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ice cathedral challenge  (Read 1357 times)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
Ice cathedral challenge
« on: March 20, 2008, 06:48:00 pm »

has anyone ever tried to have waterfall-walls for a meetinghall in a freezing environs?

a medium challenge.

b) use a magma waterfall to provide drinking water in an arctic region.

My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ice cathedral challenge
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 07:50:00 pm »

Damn, I thought this was a challenge where you had to build a massive, heavily fortified cathedral out of ice, yes with fortifications so marksdwarves can fire out of it. Then when the goblins come, slay them all inside the cathedral so their splattered limbs will make everything red, so as to appease Armok. It may be an ice cathedral, but its still a cathedral for Armok!

So yes, its a pity that the challenge isnt that, however I now officially hi-jack your thread and replace your challenge with the one above!

Fire of Algir Mountain - A quest that doesn't involve getting a crown.

lorb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 12:02:44 pm »

Why not combine both into one?
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
"This tile is supported by that wall."

Dalkar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 12:18:04 pm »

Or, make a giant ice cathedral and then melt it with magma.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 12:19:02 pm »

I'm pretty sure the waterfall meeting hall have been done, unless you mean -above- ground waterfalls :D

Also, I don't think magmafalls would melt enough ice, nor can transmit much environmental heat through a barrier, unless you want obsidian plugs.

Or, make a giant ice cathedral and then melt it with magma.
Now, that sounds like a megaproject if it's one of those bucket layering ( and a nightmare for FPS as ice crashes into magma )

Urist McKoga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 12:34:16 pm »

Damn, I thought this was a challenge where you had to build a massive, heavily fortified cathedral out of ice, yes with fortifications so marksdwarves can fire out of it. Then when the goblins come, slay them all inside the cathedral so their splattered limbs will make everything red, so as to appease Armok. It may be an ice cathedral, but its still a cathedral for Armok!<P>So yes, its a pity that the challenge isnt that, however I now officially hi-jack your thread and replace your challenge with the one above!
And make a giant ice cup barrel (right, dwarves like to drink a entire barrel) of goblin-elf-anyhatedcreature blood, and a Armok Colossus. Barrel in one hand, creatures in the other hand. Make a mouth of you favorite material (bonus for a single gold tooth), put this cretures in the mouth and cave-in. Bon Appétit

melphel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 01:00:31 pm »

Magma will only thaw ice one tile directly orthogonal to it (directly east, south, west, north, or one z-level above or below).  If there is no magma to keep the water in liquid form, the environment will quickly refreeze it back into ice.  Magma will melt ice through floors, but not through walls (since walls occupy a whole tile).  Since you can not put the magma next to the ice on the same level (it would form obsidian with the meltwater, or perhaps flow out of place), you must have the magma above or below the water to keep it unfrozen and flowing.  This will limit you to only dropping the water one z-level at a time.  Not a very impressive waterfall, but possible in theory.

Also, unless something changed in the most recent version, walls constructed out of ice will never melt, even if doused with magma.  Constructions are always indestructible.

lorb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 06:04:24 pm »

Would a magmafall just next to a ice/waterfall work? like dropping magma off a ice tower to make it into a waterfall?
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
"This tile is supported by that wall."