Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Anyone doing any forum games (or about to start a new one)?  (Read 1429 times)

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod

Hey, I've been a long time player and modder of DF, but am just now starting to explore the nonDF boards. I would love to get in on a cool forum game if anyone is starting one or looking for players.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone doing any forum games (or about to start a new one)?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 12:14:05 pm »

Generally, it's easier to just look for new threads. Also, several quests are suggesting games, meaning all the posters vote on the actions of a single character, so you can just jump into them at any time. I've been enjoying Rise of the (Kobold) God personally.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 12:17:05 pm »

A lot of GMs have links in their sigs.

*Gestures at own sig*
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

xelada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 01:02:01 pm »

Just browse for something that looks interesting, look for threads with few pages or that state they are looking for players in the title, also look out for [ISG] tags, they mean Interactive/Illustrated Story Game and are the things Demonic Spoon mentioned.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 01:20:51 pm »

Yeah, I looked at the first couple pages, but it didnt seem like there were any new ones or ones looking for players. So i thought i'd just ask.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 01:23:52 pm »

Katawa Shoujo Gaiden (GM'd by IamanElfCollaborator) is always open

As is Eclipse Heights School for the Supernatural (GM'd by me)

Anything by SmurfingtontheThird (look up Rise of The Magical Girls v3, we need healers and tanks and buff/debuffers)

Einstennian Roulette is huge, but has unlimited players and its own subforum.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 01:31:08 pm »

Generally if you see one that you really want to play, just ask if there is room (In the OOC if there is one). If you can't play immediately there is usually a waitlist that will let you play in the future.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 01:42:38 pm »

A lot of these are hundreds if not thousands of posts long, it seems like it would be kinda hard to join a long running one and have idea whats happened or going on. Any advice or anything on that?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 01:46:05 pm »

Ask for a quick summary about the important things that have happened? You generally don't need to have read every single post in a forum game to join it after all, just having a vague idea and being accepting of corrections should be fine. I doubt that anybody would expect more out of you if you joined a long-running game.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 01:46:34 pm »

A lot of these are hundreds if not thousands of posts long, it seems like it would be kinda hard to join a long running one and have idea whats happened or going on. Any advice or anything on that?
In something like a school RP (My game, or Katawa Shoujo Gaiden, for example) have your character be an exchange student, or possibly have been sick at the start of the year. With something like RoTMGv3, you could make your character relatively clueless as to what exactly the PCs have been up to. In any case, you could ask for a quick version of what you need to know in a game's OOC thread.
Sigtext!

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 01:58:08 pm »

If you like sci-fi, Mercenary Fleet is still in the "get IC started" phrase. :D

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2015, 01:58:43 pm »

In something like a school RP (My game, or Katawa Shoujo Gaiden, for example) have your character be an exchange student, or possibly have been sick at the start of the year. With something like RoTMGv3, you could make your character relatively clueless as to what exactly the PCs have been up to. In any case, you could ask for a quick version of what you need to know in a game's OOC thread.

((You really aren't being subtle with your plugging are you?  :P))

Like the other said, generally you don't have to read an entire thread to be able to play it. There is a good chance that your new character would have no idea what went on before they joined anyway, and the other players will generally help you if you are lost on something.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2015, 02:04:44 pm »

A fairly good indicator for if a game is full or not is if the GM puts a (X/Y) in the game title.  So long as the former is not equal to or greater than the latter, you can probably get into the game.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2015, 03:47:13 pm »

I have quite a few games as well. Finally not busy so gonna start updating again.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2015, 03:55:14 pm »

If you can't play immediately there is usually a waitlist that will let you play in the future.

Theoretically. But usually either it won't, or maybe it'll take a few months.

You can, however, join Einsteinian Roulette without reading the threads. There's a wiki and everything to help you get started. They're still a good read, of course, it's just not obligatory to get into them to any particular detail.
Pages: [1] 2