Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Legend of Aetheria (A different kind of godgame)  (Read 13596 times)

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
Re: Legend of Aetheria (A different kind of godgame)
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2015, 01:23:33 am »

I watched, and my gaze bored into the crust of the world like countless needles. All across the planet, the holes become great supervolcanoes, spewing out liquid fire, molten rock and ash, but most importantly, the magic hidden beneath exterior of the planet, filling the surface with raw power that could be used by the life yet to come.

My sight focused down into a single point, sand melted and bubbled, forming the Lenses of Sight. Sixteen palm sized glass lenses, they will orbit around their owner, moving according to his will, allowing him to see through them like the greatest of eyes. Each lens has supernaturally good vision, seeing colours beyond that available to mortals, their sight sharp and sure. They cannot be blinded by bright light or the like. Monsters like medusas can send their gaze attacks through the lenses to strengthen them if they're the owner, and the owner cannot be effected by gaze attacks viewed through the lenses. As such a owner of the lenses might blindfold himself, relying solely on the lenses for sight, making him immune to the petrifying stare of a basilisk or the enchanting visage of a nymph. In addition, each lens has a unique power, usually toggleable. 

One allows you to pierce illusions, another allows you to see the inner spiritual nature of things, a third can focus down into the finest details of a object like a microscope beyond any microscope, a fourth allows you to see perfectly in darkness, a fifth that allows telescopic vision powerful enough to see the surface of distant planets as if they were right next to you, the sixth allowing you to see things not normally visible to mundane sight, such as the flow of magic or incorporeal spirits, the seventh reveals some of the past events in the area viewed, the eighth can see physical barriers, gazing through such thing as fog and smoke, stone and cloth, skin and wood, the ninth reveals the Great Spirits themselves, cleaving away the protecting veils that shield mortals eyes from our overwhelming presences; and so on through the rest of the lenses.

The owner can also move two or more of the lenses over each other, focusing them all upon a single target to observe it with multiple effects at once, perhaps observing bacteria on another plant or looking for magic in past events. If all the lenses are aligned, they can discern the true absolute nature of what is viewed, but doing so may place a strain on the owner as they are confronted with the absolute fundemental nature of reality, going beyond the safeties that allow them to use each individual lens freely. While all the lenses are so aligned, they can also be used to attack, destroying the target with a killing gaze, or focusing down a ray of lethal sunlight like a eldritch magnifying glass of the gods.

May it reveal all secrets that would be hidden. So let it be!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 06:31:20 am by Demonic Spoon »

Humaan

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, I know Human is spelled with 1 "a"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2015, 01:57:27 am »

(Just for clarification, is this 'world' were making is going to get essentials that we don't make? If no one sits down to make a ocean, there still will be some, right?)
Quote from: SolarShado
Hell yes! Who need a space elevator when you've got a space escalator!?!?
Quote from: Cthulhu
Watch out bots, Sherlock Humaan is on the case.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2015, 01:58:04 am »

((Just make life that doesn't require water :P))

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2015, 02:01:54 am »

(Just for clarification, is this 'world' were making is going to get essentials that we don't make? If no one sits down to make a ocean, there still will be some, right?)
((I'm guessing no. Since that's explicitly what we're doing this turn, terraforming the planet so it can support life. If no one makes a ocean, there is no ocean, etc.))

Deny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2015, 02:28:32 am »

I'd rather you guys make water since without water you would be limiting your options somewhat, but if no-one makes it then no-one makes it, but you can make it for free really. You're only limited at this phase into making just one magical artifact, making an ocean, raising a mountain range and such incurs no noticeable cost for the great beings.
In denial of sanity...

and insanity

Humaan

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, I know Human is spelled with 1 "a"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2015, 02:34:13 am »

I'd rather you guys make water since without water you would be limiting your options somewhat, but if no-one makes it then no-one makes it, but you can make it for free really. You're only limited at this phase into making just one magical artifact, making an ocean, raising a mountain range and such incurs no noticeable cost for the great beings.

OH. So making the ocean could be part of the process. I see.

I need to sleep, but I got some ideas now.
Quote from: SolarShado
Hell yes! Who need a space elevator when you've got a space escalator!?!?
Quote from: Cthulhu
Watch out bots, Sherlock Humaan is on the case.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2015, 02:35:07 am »

Oh? I thought we could take only one terraforming action. In that case:

Zur looked at Zur's volcanoes, and saw them to be good. But the planet was a dry and desolate place, which would be unable to support much life. As Zur envisioned the terrible lot of what life could exist would have to endure, scrabbling for mere existence, a single tear welled up, and then fell from Zur's eye, crashing into the planet below.

The waters spread in a massive tsunami, flooding the entire surface temporarily, before settling down into the low areas of the surface, some of it slowly seeping into cracks and hollows in the ground below. The planet had oceans, covering roughly 30% of it's surface, bubbling with the geothermic energy of underground vents and volcanoes. Beyond the oceans, many smaller lakes and inland seas also dotted the surface, water having collected in holes and fractures in the land.

The water rippled and shined, refracting light most pleasantly, and Zur was satisfied.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 02:37:26 am by Demonic Spoon »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2015, 02:39:37 am »

I hungered, and my appetite rent great tears across the surface of the world.  Where my maw ran unchecked, huge swathes of land were scooped away, leaving trenches and basins.  The desperation of the torn planet sought to fill the void with lakes and streams and rivers and seas, a reaction of tears to the loss it felt.  Around the landmasses would these oceans swell, reminders of what had been taken.

I was neither sated nor exhausted, and there was yet more pain I could inflict upon this land, more still that I could take.  I became at the mightiest of the volcanoes my sister had spawned and with an in-drawn breath I devoured the heat and light of it, rendering it a grey peak of silent stone.  Then into the heart and the summit of it I bit and sucked, drawing the everything from within it.

The mountain cried too, but not water.  Gushing forth from a wellspring of lack came thick rivulets of viscous black absence.  It mocked the laws of rivers, not conjoining into a river from many trickles but splitting from a single trickle into brooks, then streams, then "tributaries" and finally into hundreds of mighty black rivers surrounding the base of the mountain and the lands about until at last they flowed into the sea.

At the sea the lack diminished and diluted, twisting the bay at the mouth of each river but eventually disappearing amidst the sea.  On land and on the mountain was its effect the most pronounced.

At the heart of the wrong rivers, where the absence flowed in a single trickle from the wellspring of lack, all things were negated.  Life, law, light, sense, magic, purpose, hope and desire, even hunger, were devoured equally with but a drop of that pure spite.  With each splitting of the trickle however, with each new brook formed, the nature of the absence split.  One stream would end all aspects of life, but leave the laws of physics untouched.  One stream would cancel out magic and hope both, but leave hunger unsated.  By the time the many hundreds of rivers were reached, each torrent of lack would cancel out only a single facet of creation, and the banks of that river would be twisted accordingly.

The water from these rivers and streams could be captured too, and laved with, and drunk, and retain all the potency it had at that point along the chain.  For many, this would mean death or deprivation - but one of the great black rivers devours death too.  A shame it looks the same as all the others.

May it forever sully the beauty of creation.  So let it be!

[Edit:  Damn it, I just wrote all that and you go and make seas.  :(]
[Edit 2:  Let's just assume I add these oceans on to yours.  :D]
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 02:47:11 am by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2015, 02:44:50 am »

Yeah, yours is good too. I only covered 30% of the surface, and in comparison 70% of the Earth's surface area is water, so we're still good. Heck, we could even go for a waterworld I guess though I'd prefer not to.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2015, 02:45:44 am »

Let's say that put us up to 50% water, then.  A good 20% of water wept by the wellsprings of the world.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2015, 03:19:11 am »

I behold the Wellspring of Lack, and become intrigued. Rather than sullying, it enhanced, for both lack and contrast could make far greater a whole. The idle writhing of a single tiny tendril on one of my tentacles causes the earth to churn and shudder, moulding itself to my will.  A great depression is made in the ground, a valley surrounded on all sides by high cliffs.

Various rivers of lack spring from their beds, flowing along new courses into the valley, filling up basins and bathing pools before flowing out of the valley, back to downstream to rejoin with their original paths. River of Unmagic, river of Unpurpose, river of Unsense, river of Unlaw, river of Undesire, stream of Undesire and Unhope, stream of Unlaw and Unsense, stream of Unsense and Undesire, stream of Undesire and Unhunger, and, the crowning centrepiece, a single brook of Unlaw, Unsense, Undesire and Unhunger, flowing into a small pool at the very centre of the valley.

The unwater in the pools all steam slightly, heated from below by the fires of the earth.

Yes. These Pools of Lack may one day prove a potent tool with which to achieve enlightenment among the mortals. To become one with the void, to give up desire, to understand the true nature of reality hidden beneath the constraints of physics.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 06:01:45 am by Demonic Spoon »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2015, 03:46:37 am »

Wheel forced the water into the rock, and pulled the air from within it, then sent the air into the rock, and drew the water back to its source. Innumerable cracks in the surface were brought forth such that they drew pushed or pulled upon their surrounds. The lands beneath the surface had mostly become adjoined, and winds from the surface blew through them, and lakes and seas remained scattered through the depths from where the rushing waters had once travelled.

Hidden within the ever-present subterranean world, Wheel sent some of its power, and a field was formed around a great chamber which possessed but a single entrance. All things within this field would, upon perishing, be renewed to whatever state they had possessed upon most recently entering.

Eternity Chamber artefact created.
((So I have a sort of subterranean world thing going here, think Underdark, although I am not an expert on that...))
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

tntey

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Fishbone for its ska
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2015, 05:58:30 am »

Ardnhc staired at the hate of the world. A potential canidet in potential tinkering. However, tinkering could not be done with out the force of certain energies.

Ardnch opened One of his many vials, and poured Cigam powers into the world. It flowed into ground cracks, and into the heart of the world itself.

Then, Ardnch created a underground cavern containing a single lever. That when pulled, the puller would appear in the realm of the gods, ready to slay the evil and good gods alike.

Ardnch staired at the hate filled world once more, and felt bitter shame in the Gods creations.
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2015, 06:02:12 am »

Ardnhc staired at the hate of the world. A potential canidet in potential tinkering. However, tinkering could not be done with out the force of certain energies.

Ardnch opened One of his many vials, and poured Cigam powers into the world. It flowed into ground cracks, and into the heart of the world itself.

Then, Ardnch created a underground cavern containing a single lever. That when pulled, the puller would appear in the realm of the gods, ready to slay the evil and good gods alike.

Ardnch staired at the hate filled world once more, and felt bitter shame in the Gods creations.
((...what? ???))

Deny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2015, 06:20:34 am »

I'm afraid I have to agree with Demonic Spoon here, what exactly did you do tntey?
In denial of sanity...

and insanity
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6