Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Legend of Aetheria (A different kind of godgame)  (Read 13587 times)

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
Re: Legend of Aetheria (A different kind of godgame)
« Reply #75 on: July 03, 2015, 04:24:30 am »

Will be away for a week

Deny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 03, 2015, 05:23:52 am »

That's cool, at least you gave some warning
In denial of sanity...

and insanity

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 04, 2015, 03:36:01 am »

Well I am just not getting inspiration for actually writing this in any dramatic way, I will get the basics out at least...

Sentients:
Long but rounded bodies.
Six three-piece stick-legs for walking, but they can comfortably stand on two.
Two two-piece stick-arms with three-clawed manipulation pincers.
Two three-piece stick-arms with massive curved blades.
Triangular head on flexible neck with compound eyes and mouth.
Protective sheaths that hinge near the neck and can be extended, two on the back and one underneath, used for sensing walls in the dark.
Two short wings for steering and balance.
Two long wings for short-range flight.
Exoskeleton with microscopic breathing, hearing, and scent perforations all over.
Completely decentralised nervous system spread through the main body a bit like an endoskeleton.
Decentralised circulatory system, with multiple pumping organs keeping the ichors circulating, though not in a swift fashion.
Can regrow limbs, head included, slowly.
Can produce finely controlled sounds from their wings, but cannot change the sounds dramatically. They tend to communicate through tone and dance and scent and text. Speaking conventional audio languages tends to sound like a bad computer-synthesised voice and is difficult at best to understand.
Slow metabolism, no inherent life-span, growing slows but never stops.
Egg-laying social.
Can eat most any formerly-living material, omnivorous scavenger.
Can enter a very loud shared consciousness by becoming passive in dense gatherings, and tend to do so while otherwise idle, such as when digesting or resting. Individuals leave a collective consciousness with memory of its conclusions. Collectives generally ruminate upon issues that affect the whole community but can wander and will pick up the issues of new members.
Generally passive and calm. Value knowledge and conservation. Try to live with their surroundings rather than instead of. Try to share caverns with cave-dwellers by being unintrusive.
Harm to them or their environments will often get into a collective and result in a previously very compact community waking up very angry and expanding into a much larger swarm than would have been thought possible from the colony it emerged from, though such a swarm is generally reckless due to the individuals being motivated to violence with little understanding of why or how. A collective formed with a military intent can, conversely, produce an extremely well-coordinated and disciplined swarm.

Caretaker:
A Stone-chain necklace with a stone ring. If it has no wearer it compels a wearer to find it.
 The wearer is compelled to assume Wheel's goals.
The wearer can communicate directly with anyone who they know of who, more or less, follows Wheel's goals and can sense such beings, though the sense is vague and distance makes it more difficult.
The wearer gains limited control over their surroundings, typically manifesting s an enhancement to their existing abilities, but it can extend into telekinesis and transmutation with training and effort.
The wearer gains some memories of former wearers and some knowledge imparted by Wheel. They also have their mental faculties buffed to a useful standard.
Most any living thing can be a wearer, although many creatures do not suit it. A vile worm that ceases to be a ravenous beast will not last long, and a wearer is not inclined towards ravening beastliness...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Deny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 04, 2015, 10:34:32 am »

could you give me some names?
In denial of sanity...

and insanity

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 04, 2015, 09:40:35 pm »

Wheel isn't really big on the direct communication... And the species itself is not big on tradition language.
Arnr

The necklace doesn't really have an identity, it just overwrites the ambitions of whoever wears it but leaves their personality otherwise intact, so they would answer to any name they had prior to wearing it.
The Guidestone Stone of Cycles. Sock for short...

I am terrible at names...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 08, 2015, 02:52:25 pm »

Just saying added caretaker and also bump.

Deny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2015, 06:22:50 pm »

Just quickly one last call for people to make their turns, if you don't want to keep playing that's fine but I do ask that you tell me so i know this. Also Generally me, the race does have to at it's core be organic in some way.
In denial of sanity...

and insanity

Humaan

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, I know Human is spelled with 1 "a"
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 11, 2015, 09:26:49 am »

Benevilan grew wary of the world. Chaos in many ways still survived on the surface, only his own land being calm compared to the rest. The others who had been creating had one final creation, intelligent beings. However, things still looked grim to what they created, as they had powerful magics and were alien in mind, more often then not. He saw beings of eyes, with their powerful magics, and bodysnatching parasites. He saw odd men, not seeming of flesh and blood, and a insect hivemind. He was worried, to be sure, on how these beings seemed to act. Half were beings of chaos, the other half of some twisted order, at least in his eyes.

Benea was still untouched from the races. It was time for his own race to inhabit it, far from most of the dangers of the world, as there was no need to fear of worms and other creatures of the caverns, he could keep them calm, but with the potential for something greater.

It was time for humanity.

Spoiler: Humans (click to show/hide)

Benevilan, proud of seeing his work as it is, knew that he had little more time to work before he had to rest. He created one more force, one more thing protecting his creation. The ultimate being of his will, ready to guard the race he had just created until it was time they could reclaim the rest of the world from the chaos. He called upon a different being, similar to all of his previous creations, and made it whole. He would call him The Protecter. Let him defeat the dark beings which seemed to inhabit the world more often then not...

Spoiler: The Protecter (click to show/hide)

Yeah, not the most exciting thing to do, but we need normal people. I was hoping someone else would create them for me, but this will have to do for now.
Quote from: SolarShado
Hell yes! Who need a space elevator when you've got a space escalator!?!?
Quote from: Cthulhu
Watch out bots, Sherlock Humaan is on the case.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 11, 2015, 10:51:21 am »

I just realized a potentially fatal flaw in the Sight-Eater gaze powers, so I'd like to clarify that their sleep power doesn't cause their opponent to close his eyes. It might be better classified as some sort of dazing power I suppose?

Creating your race and caretaker seems kind of important, since it's implied that you kind of require those to continue play, so I'm guessing people who don't make them are more or less dropping out of the game?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 11:05:15 am by Demonic Spoon »

Deny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 12, 2015, 06:22:29 am »

yeah, and this is my final call out, I will be posting the next turn late tomorrow, please have your race and caretaker finished by then or I will be forced to drop you. I'll be pming everyone as well.

Also, don't feel compelled to make normal humans, part of what made the game this was based on so much fun for me was exploring all the varying possibilities from all these non-human and very alien races. If you want to make humans go ahead, but don't feel compelled to do so.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 06:24:00 am by Deny »
In denial of sanity...

and insanity

Humaan

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, I know Human is spelled with 1 "a"
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 13, 2015, 05:25:42 pm »

Also, don't feel compelled to make normal humans, part of what made the game this was based on so much fun for me was exploring all the varying possibilities from all these non-human and very alien races. If you want to make humans go ahead, but don't feel compelled to do so.
Don't get me wrong, I was basically going to make "humans" anyway, but how mundane they were was totally going to be dependant on how weird the other races are.

Up to this point, we have gotten:
A race of sentient eldritch eye-starfish which eat eyes.
A race of bodysnatching parasites
A 'race' of overly industrious golems.
and a race of insects with a hivemind.

In many ways, the best way to keep things good is to makes something mundane, like humans, as opposed to making something overly creative. Besides, I find it easier to relate to beings which could have human motivations, which very few of the beings mentioned could be like that.
Quote from: SolarShado
Hell yes! Who need a space elevator when you've got a space escalator!?!?
Quote from: Cthulhu
Watch out bots, Sherlock Humaan is on the case.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 15, 2015, 10:29:55 pm »

((Sorry I'm late :())

Tarros felt his grasp and power to influence the budding slipping away. He had to leave a mark on the world stronger even then his great obelisk. Something that could continue in his place.

He crafted his children from the inky blackness of the void, setting within them great potential.

They were to be called by him the Amroth.

The Amroth are peculiar creatures, their very existence nearby seeming to draw things in akin to a black hole. They have a varying amount of eyes, generally from three to four and typically located on the face, two or four arms and two legs in the digitrade configuration. They are very social creatures, and rarely have cause to hate one another. Their eyes look little more then pinpricks of bright white light, but the Amroth have a remarkable ability to see into others minds, and deduce thoughts.

Their society is based very much on material feats, despite the nature of their existence. They are very passionate for the arts, and also seek to understand the universe, philosophy being one of the Amroth's shared interests. Why were they created? How were they created? They often ask the Whispering Willows such questions, though they receive very riddle-like and quizzical answers, leading them to ponder ever more. Some can even befriend the guardians of the curious trees, and in some villages the guardians are great friends with all of the population, having the mind to remember everybody.

The more feats they accomplish and the more beneficial they are to society, the more they are elevated in village status. It also helps to know a great deal of people.

The shadow that they are weaved from reacts to show their level of emotion. The more disturbed their substance looks, the more emotional they are feeling.

Tarros's Guardian and Shepherd for his people is what seems to be an Amroth at first glance, but in fact holds much greater power and the ability to communicate efficiently with anything. He can also, at will, command great force in his body and magnify contact, so that a punch can send one off with all of the force of a professional soccer player kicking a ball. That is, a lot.

He is very wise, and knows many things. He always wants the best for his people, but is also passionate about defending life in general, and will not see life needlessly taken away.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 10:34:14 pm by Pencil_Art »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]