Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Are there any tricks to prioritize dumping?  (Read 5060 times)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Are there any tricks to prioritize dumping?
« on: June 13, 2015, 03:36:20 pm »

I have recently come into possession of a great many creatures which are more dangerous dead than alive, and I need them incinerated asap.  Is there anything I can do besides Burrowing the suicidal maniacs?  On a related note; when creating a magma chute, does the Dump Zone have to be directly over the channel, or should it be created around the hole?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Are there any tricks to prioritize dumping?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 04:24:09 pm »

I've employed the "Impenetrable Vault" method, in which a creature is chained or dropped into an inescapable chamber, usually sealed with a bridge connected to a lever. This has the amusing side effect of creating a massive super-prison filled with the world's worst villians.

At the end of the fort, hit the lever that releases them. Or don't and revisit in adventure mode.

Dorf Bonus: Add lava moats, traps, and puzzles to deter other from delving too greedily or too deep.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 10:34:41 pm »

I don't have a solution, but does anyone know if a bug report has been created for this?  Dumping used to be a top priority task that was completed almost immediately (unless I'm crazy - wouldn't be the first time...) before the overhaul of the job assignment system, and now it seems to have very low priority under the new system.  I suspect that this is probably unintentional, and even if for some reason that's not true, its incredibly annoying.

Not any easier than burrowing,  but I think if you disable hauling on some of your haulers (or otherwise make sure that a dwarf has nothing to do) then they will dump stuff right away.  This might be better than burrowing as it avoids job inaccessible spam.  But I'm also not 100% sure it works, as its possible hauling enabled is required for dumping, but I don't think so.  It definitely works to have no other jobs which need to be done, but that's certainly not practical.

If it is safe to pen/pasture said creatures (probably not true) that seems to have a very high priority, so you could have them put in a pasture in the incinerator. 

I also am intrigued - since you need dumping, I assume the creatures are already in cages.  What creature is dangerous when in a cage?  Or is that something that's too much of a spoiler for the forums?  Usually when something dies in a cage its corpse remains in the cage, and is completely harmless (no rotting or miasma).

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 11:08:35 pm »

I don't have a good idea than keep a handful of idle dwarves.
To me it is not a big problem since most of my dwarves are idlers.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 11:10:19 pm »

I believe he's talking about dead creatures, as he said "more dangerous dead than alive", so it's probably either an evil biome or within range of a necromancer. 

Anyway, it's not the "cleaning" labor, and I have some stuff set to dump.  I THINK it requires hauling, then? 

EDIT: Refuse hauling. 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 02:05:21 am by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 09:12:22 am »

I definitely have haulers to spare, the problem is they are prioritizing logs & gold nuggets ::)  I tried using the Orders menu, changing everything to Dump instead of Save, but to no avail.  A few Dwarves actually went out of their way to grab non-dangerous Corpses and drag them back to the main Refuse Stockpile >:(

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2015, 10:20:48 am »

Just to make sure, the dumping zone has to be designated next to the pit.  (Pit zones, meanwhile, need to be on the pit, because Toady loves nothing more than schizophrenic game design.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2015, 11:18:25 am »

Yeah, I got that part sorted.  A few Dwarves began making the long trek to the magma chute just to deposit their broken clothes, but couldn't be bothered to haul the designated corpses while they were there :'(

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2015, 01:31:57 pm »

Yeah, I got that part sorted.  A few Dwarves began making the long trek to the magma chute just to deposit their broken clothes, but couldn't be bothered to haul the designated corpses while they were there :'(

A pity there isn't (yet) a "DO IT NOW!" button on non-workshop stuff. 

(Of course, even using that on several levers I ordered for pulling, with the one I wanted pulled first being the "DO IT NOW!", I've still had other levers pulled first)  :-\

I suggest either using mass forbidding of pointless dumping, or just using burrows and only assigning some unimportant dwarves to them to force dumping.  (Remember, you only need to designate the corpses you want dumped, and the place they stand when they dump.)
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2015, 01:40:47 pm »

Wait, you need to designate where they stand when performing the action?  I just created a Dump Zone around the chute, and that was it.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2015, 02:33:53 pm »

Wait, you need to designate where they stand when performing the action?  I just created a Dump Zone around the chute, and that was it.

Yeah, burrows only allow for jobs that are within their burrow, and the job is to go to the thing to haul, and then drop it off at that spot.  (I'd also put the tile with the pit in the burrow to be sure.)

And of course, you need where they're standing to be the dumping zone, as well.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2015, 08:51:40 pm »

The labor name is refuse hauling, right? So maybe you can keep several dwarves with other kinds of hauling jobs disabled.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2015, 02:11:30 am »

...Dumping used to be a top priority task that was completed almost immediately (unless I'm crazy - wouldn't be the first time...) before the overhaul of the job assignment system, and now it seems to have very low priority under the new system...

Dumping is low priority (and I thought it always was).

Try turning off the wood/stone/other Hauling so you have dedicated dumpers and trash haulers. They should get the job done.

IRON_GAUNTLET

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2015, 05:23:05 am »

If the dead bodys are outside, they won't get picked up by dwarfs unless you change it in (O) set orders and set (o) dwarfes to gather refuse from the outside.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 05:25:11 am by IRON_GAUNTLET »
bay12: the place where the simulated mass murder of children is acceptable and even encouraged, but a demographic survey is controversial.