Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Hopeless: Port Hope  (Read 8348 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hopeless: Port Hope (Mission 0)
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2015, 04:03:15 pm »

Tadisill: [8+1, 2d6+1=6 damage] Your second shot flies true and drives deep into the underbelly of the beast, drawing gouts of blood.  The creature recoils from the injury, but keeps fighting for the moment.

Egil: You draw the spear from your back and toss it to Tadisill before taking another strike at the bear.  [4+2] Frustratingly, your stroke goes wide as the bear rears up, then slams down at you with its first attack, smashing through your shield with its paws and batting you to the ground.  Mercifully your armour takes most of the remaining damage, but the shock has left you heavily bruised and bloody and you are now at 4 hitpoints. [7+2, 1d6+2=7 damage, shield takes 3, 2 soaked.]

Sonja: With the distraction provided by Egil you draw back to short range safely, out of the bear's immediate reach.

Talmyr: [9+1, 2d6+1=9 damage] You fire another shot at the bear as it rears to crush Egil, and your arrow pierces the creature's heart before it can rend him with its claws.  Hot blood jets out, all over Egil's face and torso.

Egil rolls out of the way as the werebear collapses, narrowly avoiding the massive force of its limbs during its death throes.  Everybody backs away, and it takes a full minute for the creature to properly die.  You let out a ragged breath of relief when the light finally goes from its eyes.  It does not seem to revert to the form of the man it once was.

The snows are picking up.  If you wanted to take trophies, it would take you at least half an hour to skin the bear, let alone harvest its meat.  What do you do?

Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2015, 04:05:56 pm »

Sonja limps back to the bear, clutching her chest, and spits on its corpse.
"The man must have been saying to stay away from him. Still, good riddance to this creature."
Black lives matter.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2015, 04:08:06 pm »

The bear would be warm, but...none of them were skinners. None of them, Tadisill believed, had a knife. It seemed a waste, but...they had to keep moving.

"Let's go."
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2015, 05:08:11 pm »

"Eh. Screw all this," says Egil, trudging off after the others.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2015, 12:07:21 am »

"My, my, a were-bear corpse. Just a moment, lads, I need to take some samples."

Retrieve some samples (blood, brain, heart, etc.) from the bear. Imagine the spells I could base off of this!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 12:56:19 pm by ATHATH »
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2015, 12:08:45 am »

((Spells: Convert Blood > Bear Blood
Polymorph > Bear
Kill Bears))
Black lives matter.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2015, 02:14:35 am »

My, my, a were-bear corpse. Just a moment, lads, I need to take some samples.

Retrieve some samples (blood, brain, heart, etc.) from the bear. Imagine the spells I could base off of this!

Sinimis: The others head off towards the hopeful direction of the port, but you aren't one to pass up a rare academic opportunity like this!  Using the simple quill-cutting knife from your writing kit, you carefully cut out the creature's heart and (after a bit of skull bashing) the brain and eyes.  You don't have any seal-able containers, so you'll have to make do with the heart's blood.  You quickly examine all four organs and then stuff them in your writing satchel.

[Arcane: 12!+3] Your education to date has been in mental magic, you left on your sabbatical before the rest of your 12-year program in magical theory was complete, including the sections on blood magic.  However, you are well versed in the general principles of theoretical magic as well, and examination of the bear is very fruitful.

Firstly, a simple matter of recognition.  The unusual purple colouration of the eyes is actually kyrite!  The sheen is unmistakeable.  You can't tell for sure without cutting the eye open, but you estimate that despite the clear colouring there is probably only a single grain's worth of kyrite in each eye.

You have a good sense of magical flow, although it is primarily instinctual - you don't have any devices here for measuring it in detail.  You can tell that whatever forces the transformation is definitely magical (as if there were any doubt) and that the eyes and brain are involved to a great degree.  The kyrite channels or focuses the effect, but you don't have enough of a grounding in any type of blood magic to detect what it is.  The majority of the effect feels like a complex mess of magics, primarily blood-based, but you can't really get a sense for the ancillary spells.

With your grounding in mentalism, though, you can identify one spell in the morass clearly enough.  There is a magical effect either triggering or triggered by rage, and it appears to be integral to kicking off the whole transformation process.  The spell is rooted in the bear's brain, and with it on hand you should be able to replicate part of the effect - given time, effort and study.  You may spend 1 XP in future to research a version of the Rage spell/effect.

Unfortunately, your passion for magic has gotten away with you a bit.  After all the messy business of extracting the organs and studying them, a good twenty minutes has passed!  The snows are picking up, and you can only just see the party ahead in the distance.  You think.  Maybe?

[Survival: 4]  Ten minutes later and you are hopelessly lost in the snow.  You think you can make out distant peaks?  You honestly have no idea.

Everyone Else: You head off in what you reckon is the right direction, since Sinimis expects to be right behind you.

[Survival: 9+1, 6, 3, 6+1]  Twenty five minutes later and the snow has gone from a light fall to a fog-like blanket of white.  The wind isn't helping, either.  Sonja trudges through the snow, her sense of direction iron-straight.  If anything, her attention is more focused on the agonising pain in her chest.  Tadisill follows, trusting to instinct and Sonja's guidance.  Talmyr is less fortunate, tripping and falling repeatedly in the snow and beginning to slow and stumble, but Sonja catches her and guides her on.  In the distance you think you can see a muffled light up ahead.

It is only when you look back that you realise you can't see Egil.

Egil: Curse this blasted snow!  You were following behind Sonja and the others when the pain in your chest spasmed and you called for a brief rest.  Apparently they missed that amidst the wind and went on ahead, and when you tried to run to catch up with them you tripped and fell into the snow.  By the time you got back up they were out of sight.

What will you do now?

Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2015, 02:23:35 am »

Sonja hesitates for only a moment. "...They must have fallen behind.
If the port is in this direction, then.."

Sonja motions to the others and begins to head exactly opposite the direction of the port.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 04:42:10 am by Sentient Bowtie »
Black lives matter.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2015, 04:28:15 am »

Egil looks around to see if he happens to be near enough to a mountain to have reason to fear an avalanche. If not...

"ASSHOLES!" he shouts at the top of his lungs. "YOU COULD HAVE WAITED UP A MOMENT!"

It then occurs to him to look at the tracks that the others have inevitably made in the snow. Snow's a handy thing that way.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 04:42:58 am by Harry Baldman »

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2015, 08:31:45 am »

I think it would be best if we all stay together, at least until we reach the port. We would likely die if we get separated any more. By the heavens its cold.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2015, 04:20:09 pm »

Sonja hesitates for only a moment. "...They must have fallen behind.
If the port is in this direction, then.."

Sonja motions to the others and begins to head exactly opposite the direction of the port.

You pull off a little deception and turn the group around, heading back along the direction you came before.  [Survival: 9+1]  It helps that you hear a little incoherent shouting ahead...

Egil looks around to see if he happens to be near enough to a mountain to have reason to fear an avalanche. If not...

"ASSHOLES!" he shouts at the top of his lungs. "YOU COULD HAVE WAITED UP A MOMENT!"

It then occurs to him to look at the tracks that the others have inevitably made in the snow. Snow's a handy thing that way.

[Survival: 7+1 (snow tracks) +1 (assistance)]  The snowfall is pretty heavy, but not so heavy as to completely obscure the tracks left by the others.  You follow them for a distance, and are greatly relieved when you catch sight of the others up ahead.  It looks like they turned back to find you.  No sign of Sinimis, though.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2015, 04:35:35 pm »

As Tadisill approaches the man, he grimaces.

"Didn' I say to stik close to me? C'mon, we hold tee spear so yu keep up."'

Tadisill motions to the weapon that Sinimis had refused to take.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2015, 11:52:43 am »

"Just 'cause the lady can move fast while halfway disemboweled doesn't mean we all can. Gotta make allowances for wimps, y'know," Egil says as he rejoins the group and takes the spear.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2015, 12:15:21 pm »

Sonja looks back at Egil. "I am Sonja, not 'the lady'.
...I will try to slow down for you."
Black lives matter.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2015, 01:16:37 pm »

"HELP! CAN ANYONE HEAR ME?"

I retrieved the eyes, right?

Stay put. The rest of the group will probably backtrack to find me.

Could I eventually create a spell that gives were-creatures control over their transformations (and remain in control when transformed)? How much exp would it cost to create? What would be required to cast it?
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7