Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Hopeless: Port Hope  (Read 8351 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Hopeless: Port Hope (Mission 0)
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2015, 01:43:07 am »

"It just gets better, doesn't it?"

Egil prepares his shield and spear.

"I've got an extra shield. Anybody need one?"

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2015, 09:40:39 am »

The robe tears in places, slipping away from the growing, white-furred bulk beneath it.  A distinctly ursine face peers out from beneath the bulk, which unfurls into a white bear eight times the size of the largest of you.  The bear stands on its hind legs and lets loose a terrible roar, the dull twilight glinting off its unnatural purple eyes.  It charges.

You are currently at short range from the bear (except for Talmyr, who is at medium range).  So long as someone engages the bear in melee this round, others may remain at distance, otherwise the bear will close to melee with everyone who does not retreat or run.

At this point, everyone may act before the bear does.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2015, 09:50:32 am »

Sonja dashes at the bear, claymore held behind her and to the right. She prepares to slash the bear diagonally upwards across its face.
Black lives matter.

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2015, 10:55:22 am »

Talmyr hurriedly strings her bow, prepares an arrow and fires at the bear, whilst muttering about how cold it is.

(I'm assuming I won't be able to shoot this turn and that my bow is unstrung.)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 12:37:19 pm by Dutrius »
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2015, 11:06:53 am »

"Wait! The bear is large! That means it must have a large amount of organs!" says Egil, and briefly wonders why he would say such a thing. Is he so starved for warmth already?

Draw the battleaxe instead, actually, and charge at the bear. Gotta dogpile it as hard as we can and hope silver's not required.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 12:42:11 pm by Harry Baldman »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2015, 12:33:03 pm »

Talmyr hurriedly strings her bow and prepares an arrow, muttering about how cold it is.

(I'm assuming I won't be able to shoot this turn and that my bow is unstrung.)

(Fantasy "narrative" time rules are in play.  You have just enough time to string your bow and shoot, provided you do not move to short or long range.)
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2015, 12:37:12 pm »

(Thanks.)
Sig text

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2015, 05:16:18 pm »

Back away inconspicuously.

Speaking of were-bears, don't search them up on a kindle. A friend of mine did, and is currently eagerly waiting for brain-bleach to be invented.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2015, 06:23:57 pm »

Tadisill begins loosing arrows, backing away from the bear until his allies get too close to be comfortable with his odds of hitting the one rather than the other.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2015, 07:34:17 pm »

Sonja: [10 (+1 gangup), 2d8=9] You are an inexpert swordswoman, but you are able to get the basics of 'swing sword this way' down, even if your technique is inefficient.  Your blow connects with the bear's throat as it drives down to strike at you, and you cut a deep gouge into it, from which hot blood spills forth.  You hurriedly step back out of the way of the bear as it thrashes in pain, but the bear takes its first attack and bats at you with one huge paw.  The bear is much faster than you anticipated and its paw sends you flying to the side, beating the wind out of you and blinding you with pain.  Blood seeps from under your leather jerkin and through the heavy claw marks raked across it, and you think you might have cracked a rib.  [6+2, 1d6+2=6, 2 damage soaked by armour]  You are now at 2 hitpoints.

Talmyr: [7+1] By comparison you are an expert archer, but while your shot makes contact with the bear its thrashing form deflects the arrow.  You are still safely out of the bear's reach at medium range.

Egil: [5+2 (+1 gangup)] Axe and shield in hand you charge the bear, ganging up on it with Sonja and trying to get past its defences, but the bear is absurdly fast and tough and your blows either seem to have no effect or miss entirely.  What it does do is attract the attention of the bear, who takes its second attack against you, rearing up and bringing its paws down to strike.  You sidestep out of the way in the nick of time, thrusting your shield to the side to help deflect the glancing blow that might otherwise have hit you.  [5+2, did not hit.]

Sinimis: With the bear distracted by Sonja and Egil you are able to safely back off to medium range, where you take cover alongside Talmyr and Tadisill.

Tadisill: [7+1] You back off until you are alongside Talmyr and Sinimis, but your shot misses the bear by a hair's breadth.

The bear continues its attacks, and to your dismay you notice muscular action begin to close the throat wound, although it is still clearly grievous.  Another blow of the same force should drop it.  From your observations of the bear its extreme speed appears to give it an additional attack, although its skill appears to be mostly instinctive.

You may act again.  What do you do?

[There has been a change to mechanics.  The Spear and Pike now allow you to attack opponents at short range in addition to their normal benefits.  This does permit kiting, but generally I will rule by what makes sense in the circumstances.]

Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2015, 07:43:18 pm »

((Well that was half the point of spears after all))

The Korlan's brow furrows as he pulls out another arrow and lets it fly. He calls out to Egil, seeing Sonja's wound. Spears were easy to use, and Egil was better off with his axe...besides. They all needed to help fight this thing.

"Egil! Tee spear!"
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2015, 07:46:09 pm »

Sonja stays where she is for a painful moment, regaining her breath before getting up to a crouch and staggering away from the bear, to short range.
"What-- what did I say to you all?" she shouts.
Black lives matter.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2015, 12:00:19 am »

Egil throws his spear toward Tadisill and in the same motion does another swipe at the werebear.

Although if the first action would open him up to a swipe, he doesn't do that and instead chops at the bear exclusively.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2015, 12:18:06 am »

Tadisill catches the spear and tosses it to Sinimis in turn.

"Veh all fight."
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2015, 06:24:28 am »

Still muttering to herself, Talmyr looses another arrow at the bear.
Sig text
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7