Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

Author Topic: Rise of the (Kobold) God [ISG] : Winter Y1 VIGNETTE  (Read 19681 times)

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the (Kobold) God [ISG] : Autumn Y1
« Reply #135 on: June 16, 2015, 04:49:45 pm »

Does life count as a type of magic or as a sphere of influence?

Sphere of Influence.

Flesh (as it's been mentioned previously) falls under either Life or Death, depending on what you're doing with it. If you can reason hard enough, I'm sure you can make it fit under either.

Healing, for example, falls under Flesh; you could begin to teach your followers Flesh magic (if you could inspire it in them of course) for this purpose if you have the Life sphere. If your initial foray into it, on the other hand, was something like 'decaying flesh immediately,' it would be Death. Magics can be very flexible with the right amount of reasoning and belief.

As you contemplate the nature of magic and enchantment, you realise that necromancy could also happen from soul-weaving, which falls under your Magic sphere. Magic covers both influencing followers to tap into magic at all, as well as magics that 'touch' the dreamstuff or outside-creation.

Your followers can learn magic that you do not have a sphere for, and this will give you knowledge of a new sphere. You will not be able to inspire them to this directly, however. You will progress as they do. For example, you actually cannot teach a hatchling earth magic ... but inspiring magic to wake in a hatchling with a heavy interest in rocks and mud may prove fruitful in that direction.

Basic elements fall under the 'Nature' sphere.

You guys make me think way harder than I realised I would need to. Good players. You all get gold stars.
Magic sphere is surprisingly useless.  :-\  If I'm reading this right all it gives us a piddling price discount. And despite intelligence sphere our followers still seem to be pretty stupid.

Spheres themselves just influence things directly. If you hadn't had Intelligence, your 'bolds would not be learning skills in a season.

Think about history - perfecting ideas takes years. In the grand scheme of things, taking near-feral lizard dudes and giving them fishing and trapping in less than a year? Seems pretty impressive to me. ;D

Also, the Magic sphere all depends on how you look at it. I think you guys could come up with lots of ways to use direct access to the dream layer, 'higher' energy types, and soul power.

Because anything not-creation could potentially fall under Magic. Creation is not existence; there are things outside of the physical world that are normally extremely inaccesible to mortals.

You potentially have the most powerful combination, as long as you know, you don't get disbelieved out of reality.

But I won't tell you how. 8)
Call me Vari. It's easier to type.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 16, 2015, 04:58:48 pm »

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 16, 2015, 05:01:00 pm »

What even is Influence?

Sorry, didn't see it. Lil tired. Long day.

Influence is a game abstraction for, essentially, the amount of power you have absorbed that is capable of influencing creation. When a mortal believes in you, they tether themselves to you (through the silver strands) and from this you soak up a tiny portion of creation energy. You can in turn send it back into the world to change things. The more Influence, as you've seen, the greater the effects. You're borrowing your followers ability to change creation and rerouting it, essentially.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 16, 2015, 05:07:35 pm »

It just seems like it's mostly for interacting with people. Can it also affect physical things? Like artefacts and shit.

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 16, 2015, 05:11:27 pm »

It just seems like it's mostly for interacting with people. Can it also affect physical things? Like artefacts and shit.

Not directly, no. It's primarily for guidance.

You could potentially directly possess a True Believer temporarily to do your bidding, with enough Influence, though. That could potentially allow you to create miraculous things depending on the tribe's knowledge levels and the individual's skills / magical talents.

You Are (Not) Armok

The answer for how much is "a lot" and "if you really want to know I'll balance it tomorrow when I'm not tired from being out."

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 16, 2015, 05:14:01 pm »

If this is not too much for you to answer today...

So, how do we acquire a new sphere of influence?

Otherwise, feel free to answer it later.

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 16, 2015, 05:22:20 pm »

If this is not too much for you to answer today...

So, how do we acquire a new sphere of influence?

Otherwise, feel free to answer it later.

Nah this is something I've already worked out. I just didn't expect to be touching on artifacts / possession / direct manipulation for a while. Hahaha.

You gain the capacity to gain a new Sphere when you reach certain milestones of belief. Your first extra sphere will occur at 100 believers. In addition, you must have a concept of the sphere; currently you have concepts of the spheres that were available at the beginning of the game: War, Magic, Diplomacy, Nature, Intelligence, Charisma, Strength, and Fear.

You've also gained insight to the concept of Death as a sphere, but new spheres like that will take experimentation to really flesh out what you can do with them.

Choosing to gain a sphere is optional; unlike your primary spheres, they only grant you abilities, not discounts. Furthermore, If you choose an opposite of a sphere you already have, then your children begin to learn magic pertaining to those spheres, there is a risk of war / factions occuring. For example, Magic/Nature, War/Diplomacy, Intelligence/Strength, Charisma/Fear are opposites. You surmise that Death/Life would also be opposites.

Your healers are not going to tend to be fans of your death knights, is what I'm saying.

Also sorry if I sounded grumpy, I'm not! I just wanted to be honest that I couldn't answer right now.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 16, 2015, 05:28:46 pm »

Do not worry, you didn't sound grumpy!

So, gentlemen, which sphere do you prefer? Life, or death? Maybe we can even reanimate bodies with the sphere of life if we are creative about that. After all, we are giving life to something, right? I'm personally inclined for life, because it tends to make our followers more useful.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 16, 2015, 05:34:15 pm »

both, we just get the balance sphere before life and death, canceling out the negative effects
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 16, 2015, 05:50:31 pm »

Well that really depends on how stereotypical we want to be. Life and Death are really just Soulweaving and Flesh magic utilized in slightly different ways.
So are non-soulwoven magic items things?

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 16, 2015, 05:55:36 pm »

:U nice try on the balance sphere

So are non-soulwoven magic items things?

Dream-weaving is also an option. Dream is the layer between creation and not-creation; it's a little bit of both. In ancient times a few of your powerful children could weave this into powerful effects, essentially channeling long lasting or permanent magics on items, yes. It is inherently not as powerful as soul-weaving, as it takes much more dream to accomplish the same energy effects as a soul. A talented weaver could accomplish similar results with practice, however.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 16, 2015, 05:58:15 pm »

And that is under the magic sphere right? So we can directly teach it?

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 16, 2015, 06:05:28 pm »

And that is under the magic sphere right? So we can directly teach it?

You believe it would be, yes, though it would take building up to as your followers would first have to learn simpler dream magics, such as astral projection or dreamwalking.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 16, 2015, 06:36:10 pm »

Oneiromancy, I like it.

How about if we become the Dreaming tribe?

Does dream magic also involve nightmares? How about giving someone a long-lasting slumber?

I think that we are going to drive the GM crazy this way.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 16, 2015, 06:47:08 pm »

This is nothing compared to the relentless !!SCIENCE!! of DR:NM.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13