Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13

Author Topic: Rise of the (Kobold) God [ISG] : Winter Y1 VIGNETTE  (Read 19641 times)

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the (Kobold) God [ISG] : Autumn Y1
« Reply #120 on: June 16, 2015, 11:01:23 am »

Damn. Well, forget the illusion part.

Does life count as a type of magic or as a sphere of influence?

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 16, 2015, 11:14:24 am »

Sphere of Influence.

Flesh (as it's been mentioned previously) falls under either Life or Death, depending on what you're doing with it. If you can reason hard enough, I'm sure you can make it fit under either.

Healing, for example, falls under Flesh; you could begin to teach your followers Flesh magic (if you could inspire it in them of course) for this purpose if you have the Life sphere. If your initial foray into it, on the other hand, was something like 'decaying flesh immediately,' it would be Death. Magics can be very flexible with the right amount of reasoning and belief.

As you contemplate the nature of magic and enchantment, you realise that necromancy could also happen from soul-weaving, which falls under your Magic sphere. Magic covers both influencing followers to tap into magic at all, as well as magics that 'touch' the dreamstuff or outside-creation.

Your followers can learn magic that you do not have a sphere for, and this will give you knowledge of a new sphere. You will not be able to inspire them to this directly, however. You will progress as they do. For example, you actually cannot teach a hatchling earth magic ... but inspiring magic to wake in a hatchling with a heavy interest in rocks and mud may prove fruitful in that direction.

Basic elements fall under the 'Nature' sphere.

You guys make me think way harder than I realised I would need to. Good players. You all get gold stars.
Call me Vari. It's easier to type.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 16, 2015, 11:55:44 am »

Hmm, life and death both seem good starting spheres to begin with.

So, how do we acquire a new sphere of influence?

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 16, 2015, 12:21:32 pm »

What even is Influence?

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 16, 2015, 12:42:34 pm »

Sphere of Influence.

Flesh (as it's been mentioned previously) falls under either Life or Death, depending on what you're doing with it. If you can reason hard enough, I'm sure you can make it fit under either.

Healing, for example, falls under Flesh; you could begin to teach your followers Flesh magic (if you could inspire it in them of course) for this purpose if you have the Life sphere. If your initial foray into it, on the other hand, was something like 'decaying flesh immediately,' it would be Death. Magics can be very flexible with the right amount of reasoning and belief.

As you contemplate the nature of magic and enchantment, you realise that necromancy could also happen from soul-weaving, which falls under your Magic sphere. Magic covers both influencing followers to tap into magic at all, as well as magics that 'touch' the dreamstuff or outside-creation.

Your followers can learn magic that you do not have a sphere for, and this will give you knowledge of a new sphere. You will not be able to inspire them to this directly, however. You will progress as they do. For example, you actually cannot teach a hatchling earth magic ... but inspiring magic to wake in a hatchling with a heavy interest in rocks and mud may prove fruitful in that direction.

Basic elements fall under the 'Nature' sphere.

You guys make me think way harder than I realised I would need to. Good players. You all get gold stars.
Magic sphere is surprisingly useless.  :-\  If I'm reading this right all it gives us a piddling price discount. And despite intelligence sphere our followers still seem to be pretty stupid.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 16, 2015, 12:51:43 pm »

It could be possible that the magic sphere is the most flexible. After all, you can start magic research on any subject because of it. Also, our followers are almost feral, that's why they are stupid. With a bit of luck, we will illuminate them. Somehow.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 16, 2015, 01:21:09 pm »

Well it's a fifty percent discount and it allows us to slowly expand while other gods would need workarounds for magic outside their sphere.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 16, 2015, 02:54:03 pm »

Why would we want to turn our people into artifacts when we can make them live forever? Undying centuries-old warriors in masterwork armor are worth far more than a few 15-year veterans with artifacts. If we really need them, we can devise a sacrifice ritual to harvest enemies and those who commit capital crimes.

I don't really see why personally creating and maintaining an afterlife would be a better option than continually healing and reviving all our believers. The morale and skill boosts will be quite nice, and I don't see needing a hefty percentage of our (expanded) population as healers to be a particularly bad thing. As a bonus(?), we'll get a bunch of angry rival gods after us for providing a highly visible alternative to their soul-gobbling. If we're suitably entrenched with earth magic, and can just revive our losses, we should be in pretty good shape.

Spend two influence to inspire the peasant with knapping.
Spend 0.25 influence to send the shaman a vision with as detailed instructions and diagrams of fermenting alcohol as we can manage.
If peasant knapper manages to make knives, speak with shaman, telling her to tie the knives to the ends of sturdy sticks creating spears. Have her tell the warriors to take up the spears, and use them to hunt for food.
Tell her about nets, so she can share this information with the fisher.

+1, but with some changes (mainly for influence efficiency):

Spend 1 influence to make Tuaki (likes oddly shaped rocks, is a scrapper) have a dream about rocks being banged against each other, changing forms, gaining an edge. The shaman should be aware of this after this happens and encourage him to try some stuff.
Tell the shaman to have the peasant go around the vilage, encouraging him to find what he likes to do. If nothing proves successful, do the same thing that with the storyteller.
Make the shaman tell the trapper to help the fisher with the net.
Tell the shaman to spend more time with the storyteller, and tell her one or two short stories for her to tell to the storyteller, maybe something about the origin of the stars, and how we are realted to the origin of everything. Then make her say to him that for more stories, we need a ritual, and that the shaman needs help with that. Hopefully the shaman will gain an assitant, and maybe they can research together some stuff. Two bolds think better than one!
I would much prefer that we aim to bank 1.5 influence per season. This gives us +1 magic user per year, and a reserve of 1 influence per year for emergencies.

I am against spending 2 influence on trying to convert a scrapper into a knapper. It would take too long to provide results, and I'd rather not lower our defenders below four.
I think we should let Kuaitui trap this season. Let him take joy in his trap idea paying off before we make him do other work. They can try to figure nets out in winter.
I prefer to let the storyteller stay a storyteller. Spreading our belief is good, and we should have an easy enough time converting the next batch of hatchlings to bring us up to 25.
I'm against telling the storyteller that we need a ritual to give more stories. He's already a believer, and stories about us should make him naturally interested in another ritual.

Spend 0.25 influence to send the shaman a vision with as detailed instructions and diagrams of fermenting alcohol as we can manage.
Tell the shaman about nets, so she can share this information with the fisher.
Ask the shaman to have the peasant go around the village, encouraging him to find what he likes to do. The storyteller should be encouraged to continue as a storyteller.
Ask the shaman to spend more time with the storyteller, and tell her one or two short stories for her to tell to the storyteller, maybe something about the origin of the stars, and how we are related to the origin of everything.
Ask the shaman to continue watching over the fisher so he doesn't drown while trying to figure out fishing, and to continue attempts at alcohol creation.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 16, 2015, 03:03:31 pm »

What about unaging centuries old warriors with masterwork gear infused with the souls of centuries old mages and warriors providing magical and tactical support?

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 16, 2015, 03:46:38 pm »

Look, guys - we currently don't need magic, weapons or somesuch. What we truly need, is more food, else the tribe will starve. Any 'bold we try to fit into another new job, won't really improve the situation in any meaningfull way, until it contributes to our current bottleneck. Which is food, food, and food alone.

We need to get higher production of food, then we will automatically get more people, and then, then we can get to all the fancy stuff.
Right now? Survival mode.

Use 0.25 Influence to give Krati a dream about better fungi "planting" methods
Right now, he is a complete liability. We have no chance to carter to his interests. So, let's give him a vision, which has a chance to heighten our main food income.
"He will dream of scratching a scratch up "real good" - many small scratchings, but not neccessarily deep ones. His scratch, produces far more fungi than the other scratches, and the tribe praises him for it."

Use 0.25 Influence to give Ch'eeln a dream about using a fishing-rod
- which, I hope, needs no explanation.
Currently, the good lad isn't reeling in anything. While a net would obviously be superior, we don't even have the right materials or craftsmen to get one. A rod? Just a stick with a vine, and a sharp hook. I don't think getting some insects as bait should prove too challenging either. Easy going.

Finally, use 0.5 Influence on a dream to Ch'oln
"The dream is about him making two scratches. One he places in the sun, the other, in the shade. The one in the sun, struggles to bear new fungi, while the one in the shadow is over-run with them!"

You see where this is going. If it also makes him believe in us, or starting to, it is fine. Else, it has a good chance of improving the food situation. While he is, at 5, the oldest scratcher, his likes are "Sprouts, new growth, fungus, flowers, seeds", which is all very related to his work - in essence, it also means that the dream has a higher chance to stick / be taken seriously.

As always, let our shaman guide them through the process afterwards / talk with her about our ideas
Deepen the knowledge of our shaman about brewing stuff by explaining points she might have missed

Use 0.25 Influence on our Shaman, and show her a dream of how the ritual was originally conducted

Let us reward her for all the work we put her trough. Afterwards, talk to her and explain how the rites were conducted.

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 16, 2015, 03:56:16 pm »

Look, guys - we currently don't need magic, weapons or somesuch. What we truly need, is more food, else the tribe will starve. Any 'bold we try to fit into another new job, won't really improve the situation in any meaningfull way, until it contributes to our current bottleneck. Which is food, food, and food alone.

We need to get higher production of food, then we will automatically get more people, and then, then we can get to all the fancy stuff.

Right now, he is a complete liability. We have no chance to carter to his interests. So, let's give him a vision, which has a chance to heighten our main food income.
"He will dream of scratching a scratch up "real good" - many small scratchings, but not neccessarily deep ones. His scratch, produces far more fungi than the other scratches, and the tribe praises him for it."

Currently, the good lad isn't reeling in anything. While a net would obviously be superior, we don't even have the right materials or craftsmen to get one. A rod? Just a stick with a vine, and a sharp hook. I don't think getting some insects as bait should prove too challenging either. Easy going.

"The dream is about him making two scratches. One he places in the sun, the other, in the shade. The one in the sun, struggles to bear new fungi, while the one in the shadow is over-run with them!"

You see where this is going. If it also makes him believe in us, or starting to, it is fine. Else, it has a good chance of improving the food situation. While he is, at 5, the oldest scratcher, his likes are "Sprouts, new growth, fungus, flowers, seeds", which is all very related to his work - in essence, it also means that the dream has a higher chance to stick / be taken seriously.

As always, let our shaman guide them through the process afterwards / talk with her about our ideas
Deepen the knowledge of our shaman about brewing stuff by explaining points she might have missed

Use 0.25 Influence on our Shaman, and show her a dream of how the ritual was originally conducted

Let us reward her for all the work we put her trough. Afterwards, talk to her and explain how the rites were conducted.
+1 but change rod to net. Net IS easier to make as all it takes meshed together vines.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 16, 2015, 04:01:44 pm »

+1 but change rod to net. Net IS easier to make as all it takes meshed together vines.
+1

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 16, 2015, 04:09:24 pm »

What. Why. Why would you want to do that. Whywhywhywhy-

We can talk freely to our shaman, who presumably is the only one in a position of authority. We can just tell the shaman how to improve the scratches.

Nets and fishing rods, I can see. But spending influence to say "Move the mushrooms into the shade?" Really?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 16, 2015, 04:13:41 pm »

+1

+1, nets, and +1 to dream of mushroom shade because Ch'oln might feel it a challenge to his authority if the shaman gets up and just tells him what to do.  Better to give him the dream and tell the Shaman to do what she can to encourage him in his experimentation.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 16, 2015, 04:22:38 pm »

Yeah, the shaman is not in a position of authority right now, with only a few young ones following our religion.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13