Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13

Author Topic: Rise of the (Kobold) God [ISG] : Winter Y1 VIGNETTE  (Read 19702 times)

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the (Kobold) God [ISG] : Summer Y1
« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2015, 07:52:58 am »

Introducing magic completely new into a hatchling will take 5 Influence, and there is a chance it will fail. Normally it would cost 10, but since you chose the sphere of Magic tribe, it's half cost.

They won't immediately know how to use it well, though. It will have to be trained up, possibly over several generations unless you guys come up with something spectacular or have a very lucky event.

Magic affinities have levels like the other skills. LV 1 might be able to, say, shape a rock into a slightly different form (like forming crude blades out of a stone that normally wouldn't be easily knappable) whereas LV 10 would be able to shape entire buildings out of raw rock.

Something like the old dragons used to do would likely require multiple 'bolds of LV 10, as they are made of 'rawer' material than your first children, so they're not as powerful.

Sorry for  the delay, I had breakfast then went for a morning walk.
:p
Call me Vari. It's easier to type.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2015, 08:00:04 am »

Something to work towards then.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2015, 10:15:30 am »

I want to work on food optimization, but I need to know some things first:

Where does the food come from?

So far, I have this:
3 scratches and 6 scratchers bring 1.5 food
2 male herbalists bring 0.5 food
3 female herbalists dry 0.75 food, it is unknown if they gather herbs themselves or not.

This means that we get 2 food, and 0.75 dried food.

Where does the other 1.5 fresh food come from?

Also, some food will get spoiled, so we could get at least one more kobold to dry plants.

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2015, 11:35:00 am »

What happened is your GM is a twit who shouldn't do math when he's had a three day migraine, that's what happened.

Because it was my mistake you can keep the current stock of dry food, but you're correct, you should be getting 2 food units per turn, while consuming 2.2 ...

The female herbalists do not gather their own if there is food to dry. They take excess fresh food and convert it to dry (so if you have 3 food and you're using 2.2, they will dry .75 of that remaining .8.)

If there is nothing left to dry they will collect plants like males, but at half efficiency, as they aren't trained in hunting edibles as well as males  are. You aren't actually sure when your children began segregating themselves on sex, as that was not true in the past.

This will happen per female but they will not split their duty; either a female dries .25 food, or she gathers .13 (rounding ha) food.

So currently your standard intake is 2 units of food, but your maximum intake is 2.39 units of food. At this rate, next season you will gain 2.26 units, which means you will only gain 0.06 units of dried food.

Originally the females collected herbs as well and there was no difference, which is why the income was higher. Then I realised they should know at least basic plant drying, but I forgot to remove the appropriate income. Thanks for pointing it out, because that was a mess up on my part from when I was still figuring out how mechanics were going to work, and I never edited it.

Never trust your own numbers, kids. I knew that food level seemed higher than I intended ... Let it never be said I won't admit when I fuck up. :'D

Also, that brings to mind:

Food income in winter depends on severity roll and can range from 0%-50% normal value.

Hatchlings are born in autumn, which means last year's hatchlings will mature and take on jobs in autumn as well.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 11:40:11 am by variablenonsense »

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2015, 11:58:36 am »

I should have said nothing. Damn...

Okay, we need to convince the scrappers to become herbalists, otherwise we will not get enough food for the winter.

Also, I'm disappointed that the mistake was not a subestimation of the scratches output. Right now they need to be built, and they provide the exact same food per working kobold than the herbalists. We will need to do something about that.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2015, 11:59:58 am »

The whole "drying plants means you can't gather plants" thing is quite strange to me though, as drying plants isn't labour intensive. It'd make more sense of both sexes dry plants in their off time while gathering food the rest of the time.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 12:25:28 pm by Demonic Spoon »

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2015, 12:11:24 pm »

It may be strange, but the sex-segregation thing somewhat explains that. The females like to be in the village, and the males to go around gathering stuff. But I guess that the females could still do both. After all, the drying is not intensive in time. This means that females will still dry, but otherwise work at half-efficiency.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2015, 12:22:07 pm »

Could we overcharge a godly action such as forging magic to gain better results? And would a Prophet be magic or job? And is the shaman a True Believer?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 12:40:37 pm by The Froggy Ninja »

Nicholas1024

• Bay Watcher
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2015, 12:28:05 pm »

This looks neat, PTW.

InZane

• Bay Watcher
  • [PIMP_CANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2015, 01:34:03 pm »

PTW
I PTW anything that seems interesting

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2015, 02:12:47 pm »

The drying / gathering thing is also mechanic representative. Drying is not labor intensive (I dry herbs all the time) but drying larger fruits and vegetables with no mould or rot does require a bit more work unless you're skilled at it. Which, right now, they're not. The tribe's herbalism skill is at LV 1; this means they're basically shit at it. The same with scratchers; they barely know how to get the mushrooms to grow at all.

It also represents their regression into sex segregation. Currently, the females do not like to leave the village if they can help it. They will quite readily linger in the relative safety around the clearing if at all possible. This too, of course, you can likely find a way to influence.

Your tribe is currently filled with just-barely-not-peasants. They will learn over time, and you may be able to do something to help them speed up. Leveling the skills will increase production and offer other benefits at different points. Basically yes - they suck. They're outcasts from a much larger tribe. Most of them are fairly young and never got the chance to learn skills that the original tribe may have known more fully.

Speaking of, I'm probably going to be an over-obsessive type and make a spreadsheet with information about individual villagers until you get a high enough population to move to a different phase. I need to track villager ages anyway.

Could we overcharge a godly action such as forging magic to gain better results? And would a Prophet be magic or job? And is the shaman a True Believer?

You haven't attempted such a thing as you've never needed to - having never been in such a weak state before - but you estimate that you could likely use more Influence for better results. You would have to temper yourself though, as too much of an overcharge could potentially backfire and overwhelm the target.

A Prophet or Shaman is a special job that you can assign to an individual when you reach certain believer milestones. It is a blessing, essentially, that you can bestow on your most faithful.

Shamans will require training (as your current shaman recieved before they splintered). Prophets do not require training.

The shaman is well on her way to becoming a True Believer. The thread connecting you to her is the sign of that. She is currently a Believer, meaning that she currently believes in you, but something shocking or startling enough to make her question her very foundation could break the bond. A True Believer will never stop believing in you.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2015, 02:19:38 pm »

What would the effects of a perfect ritual be?

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 15, 2015, 02:25:33 pm »

Spend 0.5 Influence on "converting" the trapper with a Dream
This would make us reach our first milestone, which would surely empower us further.

Spend 1 Influence to let one of the hatchlings "discover" fishing
We noticed the water to be teeming with life. Fishing has the potential to be more reliable than trapping, and is safer too.
Else, as soon as we are able to better their standards of living, they will be more prone to believe in us, so theres that too.

Speak with our shaman once more; Deepen the knowledge we already imparted on her, plus a more truthful account of ourself
As all learning, repetition is key. Else, getting us "right", will surely prove frutitios to our cause. At least I can't see how it would harm us.

+1, but with some things more:

The dream should help the trapper to create traps. It should help him, without being overly-complicated. Maybe a picture would help.
Tell the shaman to guide the hatchling that will discover fishing, after it has done so. He/she will need encouragement.
Tell the shaman to propose that both the trapper and the woodworker work together. We don't need more huts right now.
Tell the shaman to suggest some of the scrappers go out searching for more plants, because it is better to be prepared for the harsh winter. Maybe even make the male herbalists take them out with them. Hopefully they will teach them something.

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 15, 2015, 02:31:21 pm »

A perfect ritual will triple the time you may stay in corporeal form (30 minutes) while granting you the ability to manifest at a massive size. Your corporeal body is extremely powerful, essentially immortal (and you will not die if it is slain, you will simply regenerate outside of creation). You are also able to use certain magics while in a corporeal form, but what is available to you is limited by what your followers know, simply because the threads of raw creation are too rough for you to manipulate as finely as you would your own substance (that of dreams and the otherworld). Their advances in magic are your advances in magic, here.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2015, 03:03:55 pm »

We need the shaman to stop the herbalists and scratchers from breeding. Their offspring will quite probably starve if they do.

Of the three remaining females, only two should breed, if we have control over that. I'm fond of the idea of infusing a shaman's hatchlings with magic, but I'm not confident that we'll be able to save up 5 influence within a year, and it might be better for her to continue focusing on mead for now.

Also, I'm disappointed that the mistake was not a subestimation of the scratches output. Right now they need to be built, and they provide the exact same food per working kobold than the herbalists. We will need to do something about that.
I hoping that they have more reliability in winter.

Spend 0.5 Influence on "converting" the trapper with a Dream
This would make us reach our first milestone, which would surely empower us further.

Spend 1 Influence to let one of the hatchlings "discover" fishing
We noticed the water to be teeming with life. Fishing has the potential to be more reliable than trapping, and is safer too.
Else, as soon as we are able to better their standards of living, they will be more prone to believe in us, so theres that too.

Speak with our shaman once more; Deepen the knowledge we already imparted on her, plus a more truthful account of ourself
As all learning, repetition is key. Else, getting us "right", will surely prove frutitios to our cause. At least I can't see how it would harm us.

+1, but with some things more:

The dream should help the trapper to create traps. It should help him, without being overly-complicated. Maybe a picture would help.
Tell the shaman to guide the hatchling that will discover fishing, after it has done so. He/she will need encouragement.
Tell the shaman to propose that both the trapper and the woodworker work together. We don't need more huts right now.
Tell the shaman to suggest some of the scrappers go out searching for more plants, because it is better to be prepared for the harsh winter. Maybe even make the male herbalists take them out with them. Hopefully they will teach them something.
+1.

I think more wood would help with winter survival, and it might not be wise to cut down on defenders, but we do need more food so we can grow.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13