Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: Rise of the (Kobold) God [ISG] : Winter Y1 VIGNETTE  (Read 19709 times)

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the (Kobold) God [ISG] : Spring Y1
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2015, 08:00:35 am »

Distilling alcohol is quite different from simple fermentation~

Primitive fermentation is as simple as enclosing pulped fruits in a closed container with some water and maybe a bit of honey and leaving it in the sun for a few days iirc. It's also not too dangerous.

Ahhh, I misunderstood what you meant. Noted. ;)
Call me Vari. It's easier to type.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2015, 08:48:03 am »

+1 to calm, gentle.

Otherwise, I'm neutral on the rest of the options

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2015, 08:59:10 am »

Manifesting to a Shaman will allow others to see you, though there is no way to guarantee that they will believe that you are anything more than a hallucination.
We should really move through the village, to get more belief.

+1 to using .25 influence and to being awe inspiring.
We should tell her that we will speak to her mentally, later, and thank her for re-awakening us.
We should spend a few minutes ensuring the shaman knows we're the real thing and asking what she needs us so desperately for, before flying through the village and inspiring belief.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2015, 11:42:37 am »

The problem is, the village won't see us if we only spend those .25 influence in the shaman, as only her will be able to see us.

Anyway, I think that we have to define priorities here:

I would say that, for the tribe, the priorities should be:

1) Hunger. This is covered. Maybe increasing the amount of dried food for winter would be good.
2) Security. We don't know anything about this. Maybe teaching them how to make spears or something would be nice.
3) Population growth. To do this we need more huts and more food. And probably better technology.
4) Power and cultural advancement. Magic. To do this we may need to teach them ourselves, and to do that we need to get more influence.

There is also the need to make them believe in us, so that we can guide them.

How about this:

We spend the .25 influence to manifest in front of the shaman, with an awe-inspiring voice, and teach them an ancient secret of the race, a hidden potential: a basic magic trick, maybe just how to make a warm light. She will then show it to the rest, and they will believe in us, and the shaman will gain authority to transmit our orders to the tribe. We also need to arrange another ritual for the next time, giving him better instructions. Then, after the ritual is done, we will speak to the shaman and give her orders about what we consider better for the tribe.

What do you think?

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2015, 11:45:41 am »

I was hoping that her offering us blood would give us another spurt of influence which we could use to manifest to the whole tribe if needed, but teaching her a magic trick works too I guess.  :-\

Also, telling how to make alcohol was so that the next ritual could be completed correctly yes.

Smoked meat was for more preserved food for winter yes.

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2015, 11:54:00 am »

Incorrect: The .25 manifests you in front of anyone for 10 minutes. The problem is you can't guarantee they'll "believe what they see," so to speak. You also are not directly in the village, so you will have to spend time traveling.

:)

The not in front of anyone else thing is prophet's shtick - you can manifest to them only unlimited-ly, but no one else sees you. It gives you unlimited time to show your prophets things, though.

But you don't have any, so that's useless for now.

Edit: Not saying anything on any other ideas, I just thought I made the abilities clear and I didn't.

Edit 2:

You can appear in front of ANYONE, ANYWHERE on the planet for 1 minute for 1 Influence.

If your shaman conducts a minor ritual like she has today, you can appear to ANYONE in her vicinity for 10 minutes for 0.25 Influence.

If she performs a LARGE ritual, you may appear before anyone in her vicinity for 10 minutes for no Influence, but it must be a large sacrifice, which you have to figure out what's suitable yourselves. ;D

These are things you know instinctively as a god so you don't have to work them out.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 11:59:04 am by variablenonsense »

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2015, 12:00:05 pm »

It doesn't matter then, we have to make sure that our shaman believes in us. Then we can focus on converting the rest of the tribe. Anybody near the shaman could probably see us, and we may probably need things to be quiet to be able to teach him.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2015, 01:31:04 pm »

Working on drafting up a workable snare. What is our access to vines and/or other potentially workable filaments? And what level of toolworks do we have?

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2015, 03:48:09 pm »

Tell the shaman to try diplomacy with the next travelers the tribe encounters, and to stop eating sapient (sentient is fine) creatures.

I eventually want to create a civilization where all races are equal, and I don't think killing people thqt wander near us is going to help that.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2015, 03:55:43 pm »

Tell the shaman to try diplomacy with the next travelers the tribe encounters, and to stop eating sapient (sentient is fine) creatures.

I eventually want to create a civilization where all races are equal, and I don't think killing people thqt wander near us is going to help that.
Let's not worry about that right now. We will probably get a vignette if we find sapient life.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2015, 04:53:53 pm »

+1 to calm/gentle
 teach her the things stated, and tell her that we would like the next ritual to be preformed were some of the others are.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2015, 05:06:48 pm »

Let's not worry about that right now. We will probably get a vignette if we find sapient life.
Eh, couldn't hurt, right?
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2015, 05:23:42 pm »

Eh, couldn't hurt, right?
Given that we only have ten minutes to cement her belief as much as possible, but will have plenty of time for lengthy ethics debates later? Yes.

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2015, 12:51:54 am »

Suggestion time for this Vignette is now over.

Processing results . . .

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2015, 03:32:17 am »

You decide it is definitely in your best interest to appear before your new follower; the last thing you want is for her belief to die - with no tether to the mortal world, you would be forced to sleep outside of creation again until another dreamt up a spark of your being. No, she must believe in you wholly, and right now, if you are going to survive and bring her and her people to glory.

So as she dusts the last of her dried mushroom powder on the tiny flame she's created, you channel a quarter of the meager Influence you have to appear before her. Not wanting to terrify her, you take a form that is much smaller than it could be - though your body is still massive and twists around the trees as you rise somewhat dramatically from the puff of smoke. She freezes, and you can feel the wave of both terror and awe as you settle into your temporary corporeal form.

You can feel it isn't fully proper though; as the ritual was not correct, not enough 'given' and without the proper mental barrier piercing of a good alcohol, you haven't been able to channel through her entirely. Colors ripple over your form, so you doubt she will notice, but pieces of you fade in and out of existence.

You never had this problem in the past, as your first shamans were taught the ways by your first prophets, in the early days when the veil around creation was thinner. You have learned now that shamans must devote themselves properly to a ritual, even if it is small and you must donate Influence, for you to properly manifest in the physical world.

Ignoring that for now, you make an effort to create a calming aura about yourself. You doubt in your current form it would be effectual on other beings, but you can see it easing her fear almost immediately. Her connection to you is already quite strong. As a side effect, you can almost see the new waves of thought and understanding snapping into place in her mind - your Intelligence sphere is not something you can control, and it immediately begins to stimulate her brain.

"Fear not, little one. I have heard your call and I am here, but there is precious little time."

Your voice reverberates around her; even in this weak form, you are still a god - your words shake her to the very core, and her upright ears droop weakly in awe. You believe it's a good thing you decided to be gentle about this; your shaman seems to be somewhat frail.

"The years have eroded your stories, and there are things wrong in this ritual." You contemplate telling her to make a personal blood sacrifice, but she has no tool to do it with, and you do not know if her claws - worn dull by working in the village - would pierce her hide.

"You must sacrifice life to me, in the future. The blood of the self, the blood of another, or the wealth of the tribe. A simple meal's worth will not open the veil enough for me to be truly resplendant."

Some of your words are foreign to her, from the old tongue, but you can tell that your intelligence enhancing effect is helping her comprehend. She hesitantly opens her mouth to speak, but is startled by a rustle of your feathers. You squint assuringly at her - a motion similar to a smile in other races.

This seems to give her enough confidence to lean forward and form words, though she still clutches her chest as though it could protect her from your form.

"Great Tzin'Gra!" she cries, and you bemusedly note that the years have caused them to forget your 'true' name. "You have come! You are real!"

It seems as though she is ready to weep; you can see, something she cannot, a connection forming between the two of you. A silver thread of energy - a sign of True Belief. Though there are many things you want to tell her, you let her speak for the moment, as it seems to be strengthening that bond.

"Please, you must help us. We are a small village ... none here believed me, they mock me, but I knew that the stories couldn't be false! I knew it! I ..." She pauses, blinking a few moments, then dips her head down as though ashamed at mentioning such petty things to you.

Seconds later she is speaking again, frantically.

"We have left the Grellt tribe, for they worship the demon Atz..." She spits, then shakes her head. "The demon of the cave in the heart of the forest. The others don't believe in you, but they don't believe that the demon is a god, either ... but there aren't many of us, and without the numbers of the tribe ..."

Through your new bond, you understand. There are several large tribes of shoulle in the forest. This village is a small splinter of one tribe, who now worships a demon unearthed from a cavern. These folk were the only ones not swayed by its influence, but they are simple - like the rest of your unfortunate children - and without greater numbers or skill it is likely they will perish. You sense from her memory that they have been here for just under a year ... and half of their numbers perished in the cold of winter.

"Silence, my child. I understand."

You lift yourself with a gentle flap of your wings, though it is only for show. You hover effortlessly through magic.

"I will tell you things, things you must remember carefully. We can speak later, but only in your mind. You must remember that you are linked to me, and that it is not a trick of thought."

You tilt your eyes towards her.

"First, there is one among you who talks of trapping animals. You must encourage him, and give him these ideas. It is better to trap them live, but that will not always be possible."

You explain to her the basics of a simple snare trap; for her it is complicated, but she seems to understand.

"Next, when the tribe gains meat, you must not eat it immediately. Cut it into strips, and hang it over the fire. Let the smoke bathe it for some time. It will make it better, and it will keep the worms at bay so you may have meat in times where there are no plants."

You explain to her the process of smoking meat; it seems a bit beyond her, but she has the basics.

"Finally, there is a liquid you must drink during sacred rituals. It will not be perfect to begin with, but it will make me stronger."

You explain to her the very basics of fermentation. She doesn't understand, but she at least grasps the directions enough to remember them.

By the time you finish your explanations, your time is up. You assure her you will contact her again when the time is right.

EVENTS OF SPRING . . .

Your shaman tells the villagers of your presence. Most of them, influenced by your sphere, rationalize it as a hallucination or a demon's trick. However ...
The three hatchlings are mesmerized and immediately gain faith in you!

Your shaman tells the experimenting trapper of your ideas ...
The trapper begins to experiment with your ideas. He has a spark of belief in him, but will need more time to properly create a trap.

Your shaman tells the villagers of smoking meat ...
The female herbalists seem interested, but without a source of meat they can't test the ideas.

Your shaman experiments with basic fermenting ...
She gets badly attacked by bees trying to procure honey, but she manages. More time is needed to see if she is successful.

The tribe acts on its own ...
One new hut is built.

Nature is nature ...
All unpreserved food rots away by the end of the season.

You gain Influence ...
4 kobolds generate 1 Influence. Your next Influence milestone is at 5 believers.

SUMMER, YEAR ONE

Spoiler: POPULATION (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: RESOURCES (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: SKILLS (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: FAITH (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: INCOME/EXPENSES (click to show/hide)

Summer is breeding time. Female kobolds may temporarily stop working, but they will lay 1-3 eggs at the end of the season if they do.

No vignette events. Since you have 1.75 Influence now, however, you may choose to take an action to direct your tribe. You are not required to take any action.

For 0 Influence you may:
> speak with your shaman

For 0.25 Influence you may:
> Send a vision to your shaman which she will remember exactly for 24 hours
> Materialize for 10 minutes, if a ritual is completed properly (cannot currently be completed properly, may fail)

For .5 Influence you may:
> Inspire a hatchling to have interest in a currently existing job
> Send a dream to any kobold beginning to believe in you (may become garbled, extremely detailed dreams are less likely to be remembered)

For 1 Influence you may:
> Send a hazy dream to a non-believer
> Influence a hatchling to discover / think up a new idea for a skill / job

For other ideas / actions, ask. I'm not perfect and even if you can't do something I'll tell you how much Influence it would take to be able to do it!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 11:37:24 am by variablenonsense »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13