Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: Rise of the (Kobold) God [ISG] : Winter Y1 VIGNETTE  (Read 19694 times)

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the (Kobold) God [ISG]
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2015, 03:46:28 pm »

Fear+diplomacy is a pretty strange combination. I'd much rather have intelligence+diplomacy.

Actually, Genghis' Khan's / First Mongol Empire tactics, give a good insight into how such a tactic could work. Very well, indeed.

Granted, it is somewhat of a tightrope - not one all that extremely diffcult, but still; Balancing the "Diplomacy" and the "Fear" part, should not be all that easy either. In essence, we need to play our cards right. So yeah, I guess some other "builds" could prove more reliable, or effective, but for the most entertaining one, fear and diplomacy is one of the top-candidates.

Which doesn't mean im all against said "builds" - I am sure even Atzli Tribe & Dragon From / War & Strength; the most straight-forward of choices, should have its own charms. Most of the builds - like ninja'ing "Generally me's" - sound quite interesting indeed, in their own right.

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2015, 04:32:41 pm »

Atzli and Winged serpent

War and intelligence = great fun
+1

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2015, 11:35:18 pm »

[Voting is now closed, update pending after breakfast.  :P Will double post so anyone up at this hour will get another alert.]
Call me Vari. It's easier to type.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2015, 11:45:08 pm »

Pretty cool.
>Say Pazuzu three times. Wish for a Candle of Invocation, become the omnipotent god of kobolds.

I wanna be a racial deity. And the winged serpent is pretty. I'm unsure what the difference between prophet and shaman is, but guessing shaman has magic ability while prophet is better at prophet like stuff like being your mouthpiece and converting people to worshiping you.

Which of your people has begun to pray for a god: Shoulle
Which form will you take: winged serpent
Will your first believer be a Prophet or Shaman: Shaman
Are they male or female: Male
What will your people call you: Tzlirangra

Honestly, I'd be happy with most any configuration of the available options, they all have their own advantages. But, altough the Diplomacy and Charisma spheres seems like they'd be useful in getting more worshipers, they're the least appealing to me at the moment, not least because that wyvern looks like a idiot.
Last minute +1?
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2015, 12:37:49 am »

I'll accept it since I haven't started working yet, but no more.  :P

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2015, 02:58:13 am »

Spoiler:  Spoiled Results (click to show/hide)
PRE-GAME NOTICE: This is pretty mechanic heavy, but don't worry too much. I will make sure to post very visible warnings if your village is in danger, so if you just want to make suggestions and not worry with the statistics, you're welcome to do so!

You begin at the village level of civilization. Numbers / scale will change if your civilization grows!

Yes ... you can feel it now. Your children of magic - as you suppose they are your children now, no longer your grandchildren - are calling you. Well, one is, anyway, but as you relocate your consciousness to the centering cry you can feel the emptiness in all of their hearts. They need guidance; their ways are stagnating, uninspired, and the volatile mana in their veins ebbs away, untapped and unused, with every passing generation. They are meager, but have great potential. You will make certain they will no longer suffer this ignoble, barely passing existence.

Eventually.

(Village representative, not to scale.)

Before answering the prayer, you take a quick assessment of what you can sense. This particular village is rather small, and recently settled; there are a number of huts clustered just outside of the edge of the wood. It seems as though this clearing was not entirely natural, so it would seem that the shoulle here know something of woodworking.

The village is set on the edge of a pond; a great firepit sits away from the huts, with scratches nearby growing mushrooms for the winter. You sense quite a bit of life flowing through the pond, as it is really more of a bubble in a very active creek. You do not sense that your children know anything of aquaculture or even aquatic harvesting. There is also a fair amount of clay and minerals deposited by the water, which is going untapped.

One of your children has begun to develop the idea of trapping animals for food when you arrive. The rest of the tribe is skeptical. Their diet is primarily fungus and plant based with the occasional 'treat' of wanderers lost in the forest.

SPRING, YEAR ONE

Spoiler: POPULATION (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: RESOURCES (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: SKILLS (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: FAITH (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: INCOME/EXPENSES (click to show/hide)

VIGNETTE EVENT

You locate your new shaman outside the boundaries of the village, though not too far - the huts are still in sight through the trees. Going much further alone would be dangerous. You watch her as she goes through her ritual; it is wrong, but this is not the olden times, either. She is doing her best based on long passed oral traditions, though it is with some amusement that you see she is using mushrooms instead of a blood sacrifice, and as you don't think she has any concept of alcohol she is using water as an imbibement.

Still, this is hardly the time for nit-picking.

As she nears the end of her ritual, you can feel her prayer entering you and filling you with power over her mortal reality. You gain one Influence simply from sparking belief in a new people.

You sense that you can spend 1 Influence to appear before mortals for 1 full minute. However, since your shaman is conducting a ritual, you can appear before her for 0.25 Influence, while lasting 10 full minutes. Her sacrifice is not nearly enough to power your entry into the world without the use of Influence.

Alternatively, you may speak to your shaman mentally at no cost, since she has conducted a ritual at all. However, this may only be done to your truly faithful - your prophets and shamans. She will not be able to see you or percieve your form, and no other kobolds will be able to see or hear you. You may be dismissed as a hallucination as well, as she has expectations - from the stories she has heard - of actually being able to see you.

This is an incredibly important moment in your 'new life.'

Would you like to

> appear before your shaman, using 0.25 of 1 Influence
> speak mentally to your shaman only

and would you like your manner to be

> awe inspiring / ye old god
> calm, gentle
> casual, speak like one of them

and finally, specify any custom actions or things you'd like to say!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 03:00:42 am by variablenonsense »

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the (Kobold) God [ISG] : Spring Y1
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2015, 03:12:35 am »

> calm, gentle

"I awaken once more! You are on the right path little one, but a sacrifice must be made. Make a cut on your arm, and offer some of your lifeblood to me so that I can lead your tribe to greatness."

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2015, 03:30:20 am »

> calm, gentle

"I awaken once more! You are on the right path little one, but a sacrifice must be made. Make a cut on your arm, and offer some of your lifeblood to me so that I can lead your tribe to greatness."

+1

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2015, 03:40:50 am »

Oh yeah, and since we have a whole ten minutes to talk to her, we may as well get our influence's worth?

Teach her how to ferment alcohol.
Teach her good basic traps to catch animals.
Teach her how to smoke meat to preserve it.

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2015, 03:49:28 am »

Oh yeah, and since we have a whole ten minutes to talk to her, we may as well get our influence's worth?

also this

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2015, 06:48:37 am »

> calm, gentle

+1
+1. "Not too much of a cut, mind."
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2015, 07:08:18 am »

GM note:

Ten minutes is not nearly enough time to do all of these well.

Alcohol in particular since incorrectly fermented alcohol can be dangerous and there's a lot of nuances in the process, unless you're willing to take that risk.

The last is certainly doable.

The second requires a bit more creativity in what you want to tell her to succeed, based on what's available in your village right now.

I may reconsider if you give specific instructions that can be imparted and remembered within ten minutes.  :P

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2015, 07:28:22 am »

"Meat, cut into strips, and hung on a stick, will become long-lasting and better to eat over long periods, if smoke is applied to it."
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2015, 07:34:24 am »

They have 1 Hunter / Trapper so far. They don't need this knowledge very much. Like, in, at all. Nor do they need it right now.

How about we instead display visions of old, of the glory that was, and then tell her that our voice will, for now, even reach her without this ritual.

We don't need these 10 minutes but for two things; Confirming that we are what she seeks, and impressing her enough that she will continue to do so. Anything else? We can whisper into her ear for free later on...

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2015, 07:36:18 am »

GM note:

Ten minutes is not nearly enough time to do all of these well.

Alcohol in particular since incorrectly fermented alcohol can be dangerous and there's a lot of nuances in the process, unless you're willing to take that risk.

The last is certainly doable.

The second requires a bit more creativity in what you want to tell her to succeed, based on what's available in your village right now.

I may reconsider if you give specific instructions that can be imparted and remembered within ten minutes.  :P
Distilling alcohol is quite different from simple fermentation~

Primitive fermentation is as simple as enclosing pulped fruits in a closed container with some water and maybe a bit of honey and leaving it in the sun for a few days iirc. It's also not too dangerous.

They have 1 Hunter / Trapper so far. They don't need this knowledge very much. Like, in, at all. Nor do they need it right now.

How about we instead display visions of old, of the glory that was, and then tell her that our voice will, for now, even reach her without this ritual.

We don't need these 10 minutes but for two things; Confirming that we are what she seeks, and impressing her enough that she will continue to do so. Anything else? We can whisper into her ear for free later on...
They just got the idea of trapping animals. We want to teach them how to actually do that competently, which will naturally lead into them doing it more. Do you even progress escape lurker?

Having live animals means they have something they can use as blood sacrifices for us, and smoking meat gives them more preserved food, which is good. Having more food is always needed as it'll allow their population to grow. We want more believers. Hence more food is needed. Stop trying to stagnate things by focusing on ancient history. Progress, moving forward! We didn't choose the tradition form or tribe so your action isn't really appropriate imo.

Tellling her our voice will reach her without the ritual is a good idea though, I'll +1 that specific idea, but not the rest of your post.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 07:45:40 am by Demonic Spoon »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13