Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

Author Topic: Rise of the (Kobold) God [ISG] : Winter Y1 VIGNETTE  (Read 19675 times)

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the (Kobold) God [ISG] : Summer Y1
« Reply #75 on: June 15, 2015, 03:53:30 pm »

We need the shaman to stop the herbalists and scratchers from breeding. Their offspring will quite probably starve if they do.

Of the three remaining females, only two should breed, if we have control over that. I'm fond of the idea of infusing a shaman's hatchlings with magic, but I'm not confident that we'll be able to save up 5 influence within a year, and it might be better for her to continue focusing on mead for now.

Also, I'm disappointed that the mistake was not a subestimation of the scratches output. Right now they need to be built, and they provide the exact same food per working kobold than the herbalists. We will need to do something about that.
I hoping that they have more reliability in winter.

Spend 0.5 Influence on "converting" the trapper with a Dream
This would make us reach our first milestone, which would surely empower us further.

Spend 1 Influence to let one of the hatchlings "discover" fishing
We noticed the water to be teeming with life. Fishing has the potential to be more reliable than trapping, and is safer too.
Else, as soon as we are able to better their standards of living, they will be more prone to believe in us, so theres that too.

Speak with our shaman once more; Deepen the knowledge we already imparted on her, plus a more truthful account of ourself
As all learning, repetition is key. Else, getting us "right", will surely prove frutitios to our cause. At least I can't see how it would harm us.

+1, but with some things more:

The dream should help the trapper to create traps. It should help him, without being overly-complicated. Maybe a picture would help.
Tell the shaman to guide the hatchling that will discover fishing, after it has done so. He/she will need encouragement.
Tell the shaman to propose that both the trapper and the woodworker work together. We don't need more huts right now.
Tell the shaman to suggest some of the scrappers go out searching for more plants, because it is better to be prepared for the harsh winter. Maybe even make the male herbalists take them out with them. Hopefully they will teach them something.
+1.

I think more wood would help with winter survival, and it might not be wise to cut down on defenders, but we do need more food so we can grow.
+1 loving the drawings as well

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2015, 04:03:34 pm »

I think I get a little carried away.

You will be able to name future generations. I'm off to bed now.
Call me Vari. It's easier to type.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2015, 04:16:11 pm »

That is awesome. Thanks Vari! Now, we can micromanage them until it stops being fun. Hint: it won't.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 15, 2015, 04:34:28 pm »

Well, guess that means the 1 Influence / Fisher Dream, will go to Ch'eeln, seeing as the kid likes Fish & Turtles, which he's gonna reel in, and also likes Clay and Mud, in which he will be standing often enough.

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 15, 2015, 04:36:29 pm »

Posting from bed, lol.

I don't mind; once you move into a too big pop we'll just micromanage other stuff, hah!

If you get your members cross training and such I will probably add individual skill levels as well as "tribe wide" knowledge levels.

And any other random information you want on members honestly, I'm a sucker for world and character building.

really going to sleep now

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 15, 2015, 04:45:06 pm »

And Len' cho should help the trapper because he likes woodpeckers. Who knows, maybe we can even capture one.

Also, sleep well GM! We will not pester you more today.

Also, I'm thinking aobut what can we say to make better fungus cultivation. My current ideas are:
-Sterilize the scratches between harvests, so that mushrooms become more healthy. This can be done with boiling water.
-Put them under shadow to stimulate growth.
-Maybe using some kind of food for the mushrooms besides the log itself?

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 15, 2015, 05:17:49 pm »

Well... as far as I know, mushrooms / their mycelium / can survive on nutriet water alone. Which means, while mushrooms aren't "plants" by a very long stretch, watering the logs once a day should or could certainly improve their growth.

Sterilizing the scratches between the harvests, would only damage the mycelium "root" system, which would mean it would need to ge-grow itself, instead of sprouting more mushrooms. Obviously, if smaller mushrooms or bacteria attack / decay these roots, sterilization would do away with these "smaller pests", with medium or at least less damage to the roots.

Else, I never heard of mushrooms liking anything but dank, shady or even dark places. As in, yeah, putting them into a shady place also ought to help their growth.

Increasing the "scratched" surface, wich in turn allows the mycelium to spread, might also stimulate growth. Putting the old and new scratches nebst to each other, should also allow the spores to spread faster. Even "transplanting" an old colony to a new one, comes to mind.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 15, 2015, 05:19:52 pm »

Those are good ideas, because the mushroom farms are quite inefficient right now and we may need to do that to either improve the harvests or free workers.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 15, 2015, 05:42:30 pm »

So we'll only be able to do spellworks that our 'bolds have already figured out but will we be able to perform them at the same or higher level than dragons?
We need the shaman to stop the herbalists and scratchers from breeding. Their offspring will quite probably starve if they do.

Of the three remaining females, only two should breed, if we have control over that. I'm fond of the idea of infusing a shaman's hatchlings with magic, but I'm not confident that we'll be able to save up 5 influence within a year, and it might be better for her to continue focusing on mead for now.

Also, I'm disappointed that the mistake was not a subestimation of the scratches output. Right now they need to be built, and they provide the exact same food per working kobold than the herbalists. We will need to do something about that.
I hoping that they have more reliability in winter.

Spend 0.5 Influence on "converting" the trapper with a Dream
This would make us reach our first milestone, which would surely empower us further.

Spend 1 Influence to let one of the hatchlings "discover" fishing
We noticed the water to be teeming with life. Fishing has the potential to be more reliable than trapping, and is safer too.
Else, as soon as we are able to better their standards of living, they will be more prone to believe in us, so theres that too.

Speak with our shaman once more; Deepen the knowledge we already imparted on her, plus a more truthful account of ourself
As all learning, repetition is key. Else, getting us "right", will surely prove frutitios to our cause. At least I can't see how it would harm us.
+1

+1, but with some things more:

The dream should help the trapper to create traps. It should help him, without being overly-complicated. Maybe a picture would help.
Tell the shaman to guide the hatchling that will discover fishing, after it has done so. He/she will need encouragement.
Tell the shaman to propose that both the trapper and the woodworker work together. We don't need more huts right now.
Tell the shaman to suggest some of the scrappers go out searching for more plants, because it is better to be prepared for the harsh winter. Maybe even make the male herbalists take them out with them. Hopefully they will teach them something.
+1.

I think more wood would help with winter survival, and it might not be wise to cut down on defenders, but we do need more food so we can grow.
+1 loving the drawings as well
+1
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 08:37:22 am by The Froggy Ninja »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 15, 2015, 08:44:20 pm »

[..]I've just got an unhealthy adoration of kobolds [....]
That's just not possible, I'm pretty sure.

We should probably figure out what magic we want to focus on, or if we want to just have a bit of everything. Being Magic-Int, we can probably major in two types easily enough.

Earth was brought up earlier. I'm not sure how much it would really help with early-era infrastructure, since a hut only costs 2 worker/seasons and houses 5. It would help building up and defending later (well-entrenched kobolds with master earth magic? Just try to flush us out without divine artillery), and will double as combat magic.

I'd really like body magic, or something that would be heavily life/healing focused. 15-20 years is a sadly short lifespan. Our military would thank us if we ever end up in a war against larger races. It should help our diplomacy if we can boost the lifespans of potential allies (or trading partners). It might even help crop growth, but that will probably stop being a major concern before we get competent mages. Depending on how this world works, we might be able to personally perform resurrections on the freshly dead if we combine this with enough necromancy to summon and bind souls.

Finally, I'd like to dabble in divination. Magic recon is too valuable to ignore, and a heads-up when trouble starts brewing would be pretty handy (even if it's just instant communication with our spies. We might be able to in a pinch, but we can't personally coordinate a spy network). Combined with earth spells, we'd be pretty good at finding valuable minerals.

Do souls exist? Assuming we have high level healing spells that can fully heal fresh corpse, how difficult would it be to use necromancy to retrieve a soul and return it to the body? (As a god, I assume we know whether or not souls are basically 'pinned' to the afterlife/if there's an overly protective god of the dead.)

Do we remember if divination magic could predict the future, or if it was more 'mundanely' limited to scrying the future?

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 15, 2015, 09:47:07 pm »

I personally believe we should have a nature based magic system, due to the fact that our shaman likes songbirds. We should include her likes in rituals that we teach to her. These rituals should always include songbirds, trained and made more intelligent by us, they are able to sing dark mantras of our name.

Also Muiti should be trained as a shaman by Rukiti.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 09:50:32 pm by Detoxicated »

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 15, 2015, 11:54:45 pm »

Why would the mantras be dark?

I noticed that one of the children likes the sky, and can probably become an astronomer or a wind or weather mage.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 16, 2015, 02:58:01 am »

Voting is over, processing results . . .

So we'll only be able to do spellworks that our 'bolds have already figured out but will we be able to perform them at the same or higher level than dragons?

Yes. If your 'bolds have figured out how to shape rocks, you will be able to shape great mountains if you choose to do so. However, performing spells over the level of you 'bolds will decrease the time you can spend in physical form by 5 minutes per level.

If your 'bolds are only LV 1 earth magic, and you cast Lv 2, you would be corporeal for 25 minutes; 3 would leave you at 20, 4 at 15, and so on. You are unfortunately limited by the rules of creation to a certain point.

Do souls exist? Assuming we have high level healing spells that can fully heal fresh corpse, how difficult would it be to use necromancy to retrieve a soul and return it to the body? (As a god, I assume we know whether or not souls are basically 'pinned' to the afterlife/if there's an overly protective god of the dead.)

Do we remember if divination magic could predict the future, or if it was more 'mundanely' limited to scrying the future?

Souls in this existence (creation and the otherworld) do exist. When a creature dies, their soul threads are generally sucked back into creation and woven into a new one (what we might call reincarnation). However, if that creature is sapient and has tied themselves to a god (Believer or True Believer), that god may 'harvest' the souls rather than allow them back into creation. Generally this results in the destruction of the soul (as they are an excellent source of Influence), and you've never thought about simply keeping them before.

However, you surmise that it would be quite possible for you to keep the souls alive and intact with a bit of practice handling them (as they're quite delicate). You would likely accidentally damage or destroy a few of them, but after that you could hold them. Necromancy has never been attempted in this existence, making you the first god to consider it. You believe that with proper training in the art of manipulating bodies (magic affinity: flesh), one of your children could tie a soul back into the body.

Possibly whether or not that body belonged to the soul in the first place.

You gain insight into sphere: Death. It is not yours, but you are forming the concept of it.

For the second question, you are unable to see into the future. As far as you know, no gods are. None of you are omniscient. You know only one of your original children, in all his power and with great amount of effort, could follow the strings and predict what could happen for up to a few hours in advance, but the possibilities are too numerous. Even the slightest decision - sniffling, looking at the sky or not, catching a butterfly on the other side of the world - changes the event path, creating a great and infinite web of 'maybes.'

For the most part, 'divination' in this existence is more the art of tugging on strings to identify materials - for example, knowing if there are fish in a murky lake, knowing what sorts of minerals are several hundred feet underground, and sensing if one's enemies are lurking in that foreboding cave.

Green questions are now IC thoughts / knowledge of your god, for better or for worse. :P

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 16, 2015, 04:21:42 am »

While nomming souls is a good source of influence, offering worshippers immortality is likely to give us a much larger worship pool, and thus probably more influence over time than nomming souls would. This seems a good long term idea.

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 16, 2015, 07:00:22 am »

EVENTS OF SUMMER . . .
You instruct your shaman to warn the females of the risk of starvation ...
Your Intelligence sphere aids her, and they listen. Unfortunately, they listen too well, and none of the females breed this year. Your numbers remain stagnant.

Spend 0.5 Influence on "converting" the trapper with a Dream ...
You send a dream to the trapper. In it, you show him very simple but profound imagery. You show him a working, basic snare, and allow him to 'catch' you in it.
The dream is effective! Soon after he prototypes a working snare, and believes that you were the root of his inspiration all along.
Trapping reaches LV 1.

Spend 1 Influence to let one of the hatchlings "discover" fishing ...
You send your energy into Ch'eeln, who already has an interest in the water. Due to your foresight of alerting your shaman to watch over him, he is able to explore his ideas and even learns to swim a bit. There are a few mishaps where Rukiti has to pull him out of the pond with a safety line of a strong vine; had you not given him supervision, he likely would have drowned. He manages to snag a couple of toads and a turtle out of pure luck. He decides this is what he wants to do to help the tribe!
Swimming reaches LV 0.
Fishing reaches LV 0.
Fisher job discovered.

Tell the shaman to propose that both the trapper and the woodworker work together ...
Thanks to Kuaitui's faith in you, he agrees to work with Len'cho and D'choln. They are hesitant, but agree that no more huts are needed at this time. Kuaitui finds many more nests and gains an extra season of experience for the tribe. His food production doubles for the season.

Tell the shaman to suggest some of the scrappers go out searching for more plants, because it is better to be prepared for the harsh winter ...
Only Tuaki obliges, as he's interested in edibles. The others deem it too risky to leave the village unguarded. Tuaki has no skill as an herbalist, so he only gains 0.25 units of food alongside the more skilled gatherers, but he gives the more experienced herbalists a chance to teach, giving extra seasonal experience to herbalism.

Your shaman continues working with brew ...
Under your guidance, Rukiti learns to use smoke to harvest honey. This helps her tremendously.
She has produced no brew, and a decent amount of weird or spoiled things, but she notices one of her batches has food which is still edible after a full season!
Fermentation reaches LV 0.

The tribe acts on its own ...
The hatchlings, now a year old, have grown.
Ch'eeln is now a fisher, though he isn't skilled enough to bring anything in yet.
Uiti has become a storyteller. He listens to Rukiti's words and weaves them into interesting and entertaining stories. He likes to make up stories about the stars.
Krati doesn't know what she wants to do, and wasn't taught anything in her childhood. She is currently a useless peasant.

For simplicity's sake, all calculations for food now occur between seasons. First you will gain food for the upcoming season, then eat food for the upcoming season, then dry leftover food. So on the sheet, the number you see is reflective of the events of autumn.

Any Vignettes that occur will add/subtract from these remaining numbers. It's just easier this way.

See the spreadsheet for exact numbers.

You gain Influence ...
You have 5 believers, setting you at a new milestone. You now gain 2 Influence per turn.
Your next milestone is 25 believers.

AUTUMN, YEAR ONE

Autumn is harvest time. Herbalists gain 1.5x as much food as they usually do.

You have 2.25 Influence.

Information here!

For 0 Influence you may:
> speak with your shaman

For 0.25 Influence you may:
> Send a vision to your shaman which she will remember exactly for 24 hours
> Materialize for 10 minutes, if a ritual is completed properly (cannot currently be completed properly, may fail; will prevent shaman from taking any other directed action; can occur in secret or in front of the village)
> Send a dream to a believer (may be dismissed or forgotten as a normal dream)

For .5 Influence you may:
> Inspire a hatchling to have interest in a currently existing job
> Send a dream to any kobold beginning to believe in you (may become garbled, extremely detailed dreams are less likely to be remembered)

For 1 Influence you may:
> Send a hazy dream to a non-believer
> Influence a hatchling to discover / think up a new idea for a skill / job

For 2 Influence you may:
> Inspire any 'bold to think up a new idea appropriate for their tech level; believers will consider it divine inspiration. Will fail if the idea is too alien.

Sorry for the wait, anyone up at this time. Work before play. ;D
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 08:20:55 am by variablenonsense »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13