Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: Rise of the (Kobold) God [ISG] : Winter Y1 VIGNETTE  (Read 19692 times)

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the (Kobold) God [ISG] : Summer Y1
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2015, 03:51:00 am »

Spend 0.5 Influence on "converting" the trapper with a Dream
This would make us reach our first milestone, which would surely empower us further.

Spend 1 Influence to let one of the hatchlings "discover" fishing
We noticed the water to be teeming with life. Fishing has the potential to be more reliable than trapping, and is safer too.
Else, as soon as we are able to better their standards of living, they will be more prone to believe in us, so theres that too.

Speak with our shaman once more; Deepen the knowledge we already imparted on her, plus a more truthful account of ourself
As all learning, repetition is key. Else, getting us "right", will surely prove frutitios to our cause. At least I can't see how it would harm us.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2015, 04:36:16 am »

Spend 0.5 Influence on "converting" the trapper with a Dream
This would make us reach our first milestone, which would surely empower us further.

Spend 1 Influence to let one of the hatchlings "discover" fishing
We noticed the water to be teeming with life. Fishing has the potential to be more reliable than trapping, and is safer too.
Else, as soon as we are able to better their standards of living, they will be more prone to believe in us, so theres that too.

Speak with our shaman once more; Deepen the knowledge we already imparted on her, plus a more truthful account of ourself
As all learning, repetition is key. Else, getting us "right", will surely prove frutitios to our cause. At least I can't see how it would harm us.
+1

Also:

Mention our 'true' name to our shaman, purely because it might be of use if she ever hears old tales from other tribes or the like.
Teach the shaman to use smoke to drive off the bees so she can get at the honey.
Begin to slowly deepen shaman's understanding of magic.

It's actually to our advantage that the kobolds don't use our true name, since using it might alert old enemies of our re-awakening. I'm torn on instructing them to begin using a completely new name for us, on the one hand safety in obscurity, on the other hand it'll make it harder for our faith to spread among the kobolds.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 06:04:28 am by Demonic Spoon »

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2015, 05:04:26 am »

I just wanted to let you guys know I now know way more about the origin of yeast, fermentation, food preservatives, and alcohol than I ever actually needed to in my life.  :P

GM gets bonus points for actual research.
Call me Vari. It's easier to type.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2015, 05:05:57 am »

You could always use that knowledge to make some mead. It tastes way better than beer imo.

Anyway, the game is pretty awesome. Top notch.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2015, 05:12:46 am »

I just wanted to let you guys know I now know way more about the origin of yeast, fermentation, food preservatives, and alcohol than I ever actually needed to in my life.  :P

GM gets bonus points for actual research.

Get used to it ;3
On that topic, nothing beats sci-fi games and Orbital Vector.

You could always use that knowledge to make some mead. It tastes way better than beer imo.

Spot on - mead is about the most simple thing you could ever make. And, I mean, booze that mainly tastes like honey? Can't really go wrong there...

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2015, 05:16:56 am »

Next turn we'll want to teach one of the hatchlings knapping, so the kobolds can have actual weapons, and our shaman a knife for bloodletting. Maybe they scrappers can also use grindstones to sharpen their claws?

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2015, 05:30:15 am »

That is a neat site. I love sci-fi games as well, I've just got an unhealthy adoration of kobolds and I've been designing some in my spare time (as you can tell from the opening post) so I thought hey. Two and two, right?

I'm actually surprised I've never looked into fermentation, since cooking is a personal passion of mine. You'd think I would at least make some basic fermented veggies or something.

Oh yeah, that reminds me; I assume when you guys speculate you want me to tell you things you'd already 'know', but if you wanna screw up without that knowledge I don't have to say anything. :V Should we have some kind of "this is a question for the GM" format (like, idk, lime green text) or would you rather speculate amongst yourselves and just try stuff out?

ie GM hints or no GM hints

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2015, 05:37:40 am »

Gm Hints would be nice, since there's a lot of stuff we should know IC, but don't know OOC.

For example:

How does magic work?

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2015, 05:52:14 am »

What you know of magic:

Magic is a type of manipulatable energy that actually makes up creation. It can be thought of as an infinite number of tiny strings tying everything into a physical form.

You yourself are magic, but a different form. If creation is a hand knitted scarf, for example, you are more akin to a richly woven silk tapestry. However, there is something about this raw form that feeds you; faith / belief joins with you, increasing your complexity and giving you power. Without the raw material, you would not exist. You do not know what existed before you, or before creation. You came into existence at the same time it did.

Not all mortals have the ability to manipulate energy. It seems to be something in the brain that creates certain pathways that can learn how to tap into the invisible strands. In essence, they learn to tie their strings to other strings temporarily.

Most are only able to manipulate one sort of string; for example, one might be able to manipulate water - making it move in a different direction, or crystallize when it isn't cold outside. More advanced practitioners can manipulate more sorts, more effectively; your original children, the dragons, had a variety of skills, such as weaving flame out of the strands of air (in a breath, as this was the best way for them to comprehend it), rearranging materials into fine metals, and shaping great citadels of stone in the blink of an eye.

Currently, your tribe ... knows nothing, beyond your shaman's ability to connect her mind to your being. However, you sense the pathways could be formed in this particular tribe if taught young enough. Sparking the idea or understanding will be very difficult without them already having a natural grasp on it.

I should add that to OP. lime green for questions, orange will be answers.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2015, 05:53:44 am »

Here's a question:
What's necessary for a 'perfect' small ritual? One that means there won't be any imperfections in our seen form.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2015, 05:55:36 am »

Here's a question:
What's necessary for a 'perfect' small ritual? One that means there won't be any imperfections in our seen form.
That's already been mentioned ic I believe. Blood Sacrifice and alcohol.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2015, 05:59:06 am »

Here's a question:
That's already been mentioned ic I believe. Blood Sacrifice and alcohol.
Oh, never mind me then.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2015, 06:03:04 am »

Not all mortals have the ability to manipulate energy. It seems to be something in the brain that creates certain pathways that can learn how to tap into the invisible strands. In essence, they learn to tie their strings to other strings temporarily.

Most are only able to manipulate one sort of string; for example, one might be able to manipulate water - making it move in a different direction, or crystallize when it isn't cold outside. More advanced practitioners can manipulate more sorts, more effectively; your original children, the dragons, had a variety of skills, such as weaving flame out of the strands of air (in a breath, as this was the best way for them to comprehend it), rearranging materials into fine metals, and shaping great citadels of stone in the blink of an eye.

Currently, your tribe ... knows nothing, beyond your shaman's ability to connect her mind to your being. However, you sense the pathways could be formed in this particular tribe if taught young enough. Sparking the idea or understanding will be very difficult without them already having a natural grasp on it.

So does that mean the tribe already has a set affinity, or that we can choose one for them?

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2015, 06:04:44 am »

A perfect small ritual consists of the following:

A circle drawn in blood, either from a willing tribe member or the entire amount of blood drained carefully from a small sacrificial animal (such as a rabbit).

A sacrifice of some value; the corpse from the blood sacrifice is generally acceptable, but other objects of value - such as something lovingly sculpted over a full season specifically for the ritual or an object of great nostalgic value such as an old heirloom - will also work. Life is always more valuable than material goods, but the meaning it has to one individual is the key.

A strong, pure alcohol, laced with a mild hallucinogen. This breaks down the barriers the mind has for connecting to your power and helps you create your physical form in creation's 'lesser' fabric.

A specific hallucinogenic incense. This was once harvested from the wastelands, but you believe that any similar smoke will accomplish the same thing. The purpose is the same as the alcohol; having different sorts causes the effect to be greater.

Finally, a True Believer. Partial devotees will never succeed in fully allowing your form into creation.

I went ahead and mentioned everything for the 'best' ritual. ;D This is something that was only possible in rare instances in the past because of the specific requirements.

So does that mean the tribe already has a set affinity, or we can choose one for them?

Affinity is per individual at this point. However in the past individual tribes did have specific affinities just because they had practices that were ingrained into their culture and therefore taught at an early age. Individuals who showed other affinities were either shut down (not allowed to practice) or sent to tribes specializing in that affinity.

Right now your tribe is basically a blank slate.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2015, 06:07:02 am »

Interesting. I'm thinking teaching one of the hatchlings earth magic might be a good idea. It'd help to greatly simplify infrastructure stuff for the tribe since they can just magically shape rock into buildings.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13