Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Lighthouse: The Age of Destiny, the Age of Ruin (IC, Prologue: Echoes)  (Read 4697 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile

(OOC Thread)
Prologue: Echoes

We’ve lost the Drogue.
Too many of their kind have been taken, and the Oversoul
has been corrupted. Their connection to it has driven them
insane. Not tainted, thank the powers, but still insane.
I believe we can beat the Plasm, despite the setbacks,
but I do not know if we can ever restore the Oversoul. 
 Victory may be bitter, but I will not tolerate defeat.

Joan Hawkwood
There was a saying back in Joan’s village, one she never appreciated until she started traveling: “The world is as constant as the ground you walk on”. When she was a child, it seemed comforting. The harvests were reasonable, the weather seldom dangerous, and the fish plentiful. The saying had once seemed an assurance that the world was a constant place. Now, her home far behind her, the saying has a different meaning.

The world changed every time you took a step.

Now, with Tala under her, the blue tinged radiance of an unfamiliar Lighthouse at her back, her lungs filled with the cold, thin, and curiously damp air of this elevated hinterland, the saying felt all the stronger. She was used to the bright green-gold light of her own tower, of tall trees that didn’t burst into verdant leaves except at their heads. She was used to crystal creatures that bathed in the light, and for the lizards to outnumber the mammals. This place was nothing she was used to. The trees here were thin, stick-like things that put out grasping handfuls of leaves as soon as they left the cold earth, the desperate foliage taking a variety of striated hues that all seemed sickly. Like all trees, they had leaves only on one side, but their lee side didn’t show their wooden bones. A thick layer of a jelly-like shelf fungus clung there instead, healthier seeming than the tree itself. The animals here were strange as well. There were few lizzies here, and a number of fat little furred mammals that Joan had never before seen. Joan loved her Chattel, but there was something very odd about seeing more fur than scale when observing the wilds.

The Phari light behind her was at peak luminescence, but, at this distance, the light is warm only in comparison to the shade. Still, it gives more than enough light to see the road and guide the expedition. The three powered wagons, half-dozen researchers, and dozen caretakers and assistants, are no small venture. Add in the Nav-Squad on loan from the Crystal University and the White Company itself, and it’s clear that there is a small fortune in play. This was a privately backed darklands expedition, but there could be no illusions about its grand goals. It’s the biggest job the White Company has ever taken, and also the most personal. Ralai Kankuul was the leader of the researchers and the primary source of funds for the expedition. He was an elder Keelai, an accomplished lumographer, master lumomancer, and a long retired Guide for the University of Light. More importantly to Joan, he was a teacher and friend from long ago.

He had also become thoroughly undignified in his old age, as his current position sprawled on top of the lead wagon indicated. He looked quite dead; belly up, limbs askew, and wings spread wide. Only regular shallow breaths indicated that he was still alive, merely sunning in the thin light.

Ralai cracked one eye open as Joan kneed Tala level with his wagon, the sharp and cloudless orb of a younger bird fixing on her immediately. “Dear endless heaven, I seem to be approached by a chattel that clings to the surface of the world, and human clinging to its back for fear of falling into the sky. Tell me, fair and all-but-falling stranger, what is the name of the bizarre land I have come to?”

Svurrl and Rol
The wagons that Ralai had commissioned for the expedition were large, sturdily built, well insulated, and seemed to have had all of their prior maintenance done by complete criminals and utter charlatans. Svurrl, Rol, and two of the Temani maintainers that Ralai had hired were cramped together inside the last wagon of the caravan, perched on various boxes and jabbing fingers at a burnprint of the same wagon’s undercarriage. 
The primary shaft that ran from the steam engine and drove the wagon forwards was cracked, badly. Rol had spotted the problem last night. A bump in the road had cast a stone into the shaft during the day, and against all reason, that stone had lodged itself into seemingly solid wood. A finger deep, two inch wide, three foot long section of travel softened wood caulk had came out along with the stone when Rol attempted to remove it during nightly inspection. Judging by the edges, the main crack was fairly recent, likely only developing a week or two before the vehicle was rented out to Ralai, but it was clearly growing at a disturbing rate. The expedition pace had been slowed considerably in order to minimize the damage, but the matter was still urgent.

“We don’t have the supplies to make repairs on damages like this” hissed Creel, the larger and redder of the two Temani. “Stupid, thieving, gutless, incompetents!”

The second Temani, Veraki, clasped two hands to its left side and wrung the third absently, occasionally using it to make a stabbing gesture at the burnprint. “We could build a patch, bolts here and here… It would contain the worst of the damage and slow the degradation.” Veraki flipped its stalk eye upwards, the Temani equivalent of a shrug. “We have the supplies, and the work could be done easily when the wagons stop for the night.”

Creel made a cutting motion with one hand, the mouth in its chest baring several rows of blunt teeth. “We don’t have a three foot brace, and just trying to patch up the worst of the damage might be pointless. The shaft could break around the repairs just as easily, and the screw tears might even accelerate the process. Pointless to attempt to patch stupidity, no amount of metal can span that void…” Creel’s voice remained at a dangerous hiss, and a few words in a guttural Temani dialect followed its common. The wagon went still for a minute, then Creel sighed. “I did not mean to speak harshly, ‘Aki, and you’re right. We have the materials to bolt on patches. We’d need at least two to significantly improve the shaft’s survival chance, and the drilling could complete the split that’s forming, but it is a chance. We should make it to this town of Ralai’s in another day or two, and we can make real repairs there.” 

Veraki nodded absently, its free hand tapping the edges of burnprint shaft, sketching out where the crack would be. Its stalk eye flicked upwards after a second, beginning another shrug, but Veraki started when his eye passed Rol and Svurrl. A slow flush of unusually dark red crept onto its face as it looked at the two. “I apologize, honored protectors. Creel and I have worked together for a long time, we sometime forget there are other voices to consider.” The Temani paused, seeming to search for something to say. “Do… do you see any alternatives?”   

Averrco and Murdren
By and large, protection work was utterly boring. Ninety-nine hours out of a hundred involved standing around smartly and performing the same job as a very expensive scarecrow: Look solid, and provide a passive threat to anyone with too little sense and too much ambition or desperation. Every mercenary reacted differently to the boredom.

“And so the Blind King, he orders Tamak bound in chains and brought in court before him. When it’s done the Blind King says: ‘What manner of monster is before me? My eyes have gone, but I would know the creature that has taken my wife and daughter from this world. I would know the monster that sang in drunken revel of the way he stabbed and twisted his dagger. Tell me, monster, are there any words to redeem your sins?’”

Some drank on the job, letting alcohol compress time and make their days shorter. More often than not that tactic succeeded, compressing time right down to penniless retirement or to a young grave, depending on the mercy’s luck.

“The court is silent after the King speaks, but Tamak is undaunted, and the smile never leaves his face when he replies. ‘Oh King, you have the wrong of me. Your wife and daughter are very much of this world, I swear by my life and honor that I did not bare a blade against them.’”

Other mercenaries developed the ability to sleep standing up or even while keeping a patrol. Some of those folk are successful, but a good number end their careers by failing to wake up when a quiet blade comes for them.

“The King is furious, naturally, and he roars at Tamak. ‘Do you think me a fool, boy! I heard the screaming of my love, and though I could not get through the door to save her, I felt the hot blood upon the sheets when you had escaped!’ The Blind King, overtaken with rage, took up his great axe, preparing to pass judgement upon Tamak. ‘As you pierced the heart of my house, I shall cleave your heart in two’.”

A very few developed a soldier-like precision, somehow managing to keep their body and mind on target for endless days of monotony.

“The king raised his axe to strike, but he stopped as Tamak began to laugh. ‘Great King, I believe that we have a misunderstanding,’ Tamak said, still almost sobbing with laughter. ‘I admit that your wife and daughter screamed, and I likewise admit that I was the cause to their cries, but, dear king, you do not understand. I sang of my prowess with my dagger, ‘tis true, but it was not their hearts I pierced. May the Sea of Ghosts take my soul if this be a lie, but I swear to you, great king, my steel has never left its sheath!” Borou finished at last, letting a brief pause hang in the air before both he and Mara nearly collapsed from laughter.

Borou and Mara were of a different class of mercenary; those that told stories and truly awful jokes to pass the time. Mara was the leader of the Nav-Squad that Ralai had recruited to help guide the expedition, and Borou was her second and, judging by the faded ink drawn over the old brands on his cheek, her bondmate. Mara’s team only had two other members, a Keelai that was currently in the air with Lora, and a human pathfinder who was currently scouting ahead and trying to find a decent path for the wagons through the stony soil. Mara herself was an odd character. Her right arm was heavily scarred and missing the smallest two fingers, and she’d dyed her thin mane of silver hair with sunburst stripes of red and gold at the tips. She was vicious, boisterous, good natured, and a crack shot with a long-rifle.       

“Well, I see your time scumming through taverns was not badly spent,” Mara managed at last, wiping a tear from her eye. “That was truly terrible… It’s too tame to be from soldiers, it’s not farmer language, and there aren’t enough big words to be an academ joke. Where did you get that one?”

Borou grinned, getting his own laughter under control. “You may not believe it, but it was a group of Kadi priests. One of the branches of the Earth Mother doctrine apparently has a very aggressive policy of ‘make love, not war’.”

“Kadi priests,” Mara breathed, chuckling again. “Light bless the crazy tunnel thumpers.” She shook her head and turned to Murdren. “Alright, Bale, you’re up. Give us your best shot. I want to hear the kind of stories that can make rocks blush. Unless…” Mara let that hang, slanting a mischievous eye at Averrco and Borou. “You fellows want to make this interesting?”

Lora Kal Gara
Far above the rest of the expedition, riding cold winds and catching the sparse drafts of rising air to stay aloft, Lora flew. Flight like this was unique to the Keelai, a starkly visible symbol of their place apart from, and above, the other races.  The caravan below Lora was a thin line surrounded by even smaller specks, with guiding torches forming bright pinpricks of light to highlight the wagons. All the lights were still green, no sign of danger detected on the ground, and no need for Lora to save them. Not yet, but anything could happen on this terrain.

The earth here was strange. Colder, more prone to furred mammals and furrier fungi than it was to the lizards and water filled plants of Lora’s home, but she had seen the like of this place before. More curious to Lora was the way the ground rippled. From the ground, it would merely seem to be rocky, with odd upthrust formations of stone contrasting with the thin trees at irregular intervals. From the air, Lora could see a pattern. It was immense, so large that she could only really see a single curve, but it was undoubtedly a regular ripple. It looked as though some great hand, spanning kilometers, had pushed into the soil and shoved it to create the sweeping ascent and the cold plateau the caravan now rolled across. It looked… hasty. The edges were broken, riddled with deep crevices, and massive, ancient stones had been thrust upwards, like broken bones poking up through lacerated flesh. No civilization had ever truly taken root here, not if the old maps of the past empire were any judge. War camps had been made here, even one Fanai fortress built for the resupply and rest of their drudge hordes, but no Keelai had ever been fool enough to try and claim these cold and broken lands. Better to leave the habitation of such places to creatures incapable of realizing the squalid wrongness of their surroundings.

”You see the shapes? You see the broken stones?” The voice was faint but piercing, spoken in a Keelai sub-language known as Shriek. The sounds used to speak the common tongue were designed to be universal, and the softness of the language let the wind carry it away. Imperial Keelai was a better language for the air, able to cut through the wind and still be heard. Shriek was... informal. Some might even term it a degenerate version of the Imperial language, but it was very, very effective at being heard while on the wing. ”Strange things, no? Have you ever seen anything like them?”

The speaker was Hamana, a Keelai aerial scout with the Nav-Squad that Ralai had hired. He was young, stupid, blessedly impressionable, and incapable of ending a sentence declaratively. He listened to Lora, and the long spells they spent in the air gave them ample opportunity to talk. There were days when that was a burden.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 02:00:38 am by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

"No," Lora Shrieked back. "A great power made this, and I doubt a natural one. Be cautious; we may find traces of it before we're done."

She briefly considered swooping down to alert the others, but figured it probably wasn't a priority. They knew where they were headed, and what that implied.

"This is precisely why exploration so important, you know. There is or was something out there than can do this, and as far as I've heard no one knows how or why. Dangerous to leave such secrets lurking about. Dangerous to uncover them too, but ignorance is always fatal in the end."
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

Mudren Gude, currently in chattel-like form, seems to have been itching for a prompt the entire previous story.

"Ah! To be sure, I have a tale for you! It's a thing I read, from the note on a margin reviewed for content, deemed worthy, elaborated upon and then copied over the main text of the oft overlooked Kalai-Kawan, the seminal Keelai epic of immense books heroically read and insidious theorems ingeniously vanquished, in an effort to improve its popularity among the younger generation."

Mudren starts to slowly change shape into something a little more bipedal.

"It begins, as such stories often do, with a noble hermit whose brilliant (literally, in fact) work on the finer points of the Avernale was unaccepted by his irrational peers - it was a darker time, oh yes, without much of today's innovation. The hermit, whose name was Skwalei, was often laughed out of conferences upon sheer principle, and at some point he just could not take it anymore! To hear his amazing work ridiculed with the most fallacious of arguments, 'twas unbearable! So Skwalei went out to find his own path, away from the nincompoops who could not understand the sheer significance and weight of his contributions. He chose seclusion!"

The transformation slowly completes, Mudren taking the hastily imitated form of a noble, silvered male Keelai spreading his wings as if about to take flight. Lowering its arms slowly, Mudren continues.

"In an aviary out in the deep Stormlands, wise Skwalei found himself at peace, and felt free to innovate at last, free of the prying eyes of his peers. He flew and thought, and bound crystals to his will, and thought thoughts very few Keelai had before him, as we'll see quite soon. It was magical, nothing short of magical! And yet..." Mudren continues to speak, flapping its newfound wings as it walks about. Then it suddenly stops mid-step and adopts a suddenly pensive look. "... yet something was missing."

The imitated Keelai's pelvis abruptly starts to undulate, which Mudren shyly moves its wings to cover, bending its knees toward one another. "Mm, something was indeed missing, my fine friends. And it gave poor, wise Skwalei no end of troubled sleep and distracting dreams, to the point where he could hardly concentrate on his work. And with work proving impossible, why, there was little he could do, so he wandered and flew, and occasionally hunted, seeking solace in kind nature."

Mudren slowly starts to lose definition and starts to approach more of a quadrupedal shape.

"And nature, kind as we know it to be, provided the solace required! For one day wise, haunted Skwalei in his wanderings came upon a sight of the utmost beauty, a radiant hart of no doubt considerable age, with curves like you have never seen in nature, with a surface as flowing water, refracting twenty rainbows' worth of light. To look upon it, my fine friends, was to know a whole other world."

At this point Mudren has assumed the general shape of a hart, and looks quite a bit shinier than previously.

"Skwalei, wise and haunted as he was, was at a loss for breath, and needed to clutch a tree so as to keep his footing. His eyes were full of the hart's amazing light, and he shut them tight and struggled to retain his composure. His back to a tree, he contemplated the wonders of the Avernale to center himself, but this did not help. His breath had quickened, his legs felt like jelly, and he could not focus, and so his mind started to wander."

Continuing to speak from a mouth located on the hart-imitation's side, Mudren's "head" starts to look at its rump curiously.

"And when a Keelai's mind wanders, so do some of their other things - I guarantee you, you will never see a Keelai thinking idle thoughts when not alone, or daydream about nothing in particular. You've heard of certain things having minds of their own, I am sure. Well, it is not only a Keelai's main mind that is often sharper than that of other races. I have heard a respected Keelai academician once speak on whole fields in psychology addressing this, in fact."

Mudren's "head" slowly tilts, imitating confusion.

"So it was that world-wise Skwalei stood at that tree, and his breath grew quicker, his mind reeled, and he shook with the majesty of this event, and almost fainted when the greatness of it all hit him in a massive wave, and his eyes, in a fit of sudden clarity, flew open, then traveled down. And then wise Skwalei was indeed very surprised, for so it had happened that his trusty whip - for those not in the know, the average Keelai would indeed be best described as having a whip on account of its grace, flexibility, sheer length and unusual girth - had come very strangely loose, and had traveled very far indeed, as they tend to do when not strictly overseen by more rational minds and, failing their involvement, wingtips. Neither of these it had occurred to wise Skwalei to exercise in his affected state, and his eyes grew wide as they traveled from looking straight down over to the hart, which still stood resplendent, seemingly undisturbed by the whip's admittedly very short work."

Mudren's hart-form takes a step forward, then another.

"Skwalei needed not even think another thought, for the wave of fear flooding in him sent his whip spooling back into its sheath with such violence, it made waves across the hart's surface - thus disturbed, it galloped away with a speed heretofore unseen, leaving Skwalei speechless in the now perfectly mundane clearing."

Returning to a chattel-like shape slowly, Mudren moves to conclude the tale.

"Suffice it to say, the experience provided empirical proof to Skwalei that perhaps hermitage was not quite the right thing for him, and he returned to Keelai society shortly afterward after a long absence, and to his peers breathed no more than ten words of his experiences at a time, hence why they once got him drunk enough to hear the full story from his whip, having it commit the tale as you have just heard it on the wall of Skwalei's quarters, from which it was copied into the margin of the Kalai-Kawan due to its vastly informative nature."

Mudren pauses for the reaction of the listeners for a short bit before continuing.

"But what of the hart, you may ask? Well, suffice it to say that such a hart has not been seen in the Stormlands since Skwalei's time. But there is one thing that has been seen ever since - a grotesque combination of hart and Keelai, of no constant shape and no mean intelligence, and a gift in the use of the Avernale not unlike its ancient progenitor."

Mudren Gude's chattel form cracks an unnatural-looking grin.

"Indeed, it is the Cymic I speak of, and forgotten legend has it each and every one seeks the name of their noble forefather to this very day, so that they may find the place among the races of the world that they feel they deserve."

MrVoid

• Bay Watcher
  • Leaning on Lady Luck
    • View Profile

"Well, I have some talent with repairs myself, and more than a few tools. I would be glad to assist in your efforts both now and in town. I also have a fair bit of skill as an arbitomancer, though I'd prefer to only use that in critical situations." Rol offers.
What the fuck is wrong with you guys.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Murdren and Averrco
By the time Murdren finished his story, both Mara and Borou were wracked with laughter. "Friend Murdren," Borou said at last, favoring the Bale with a sweeping (if erratic) bow. "I bow to a skill far greater than my own."

"Frozen Shadow," Mara cursed, still laughing, "I'm just glad you didn't give me the chance to bet anything... Can you imagine old Kankuul, with a Hart?" Mara shook her head, making coupling gestures with her hands. "He's a fair one, but there are days when I doubt there's anything inside of him but dust, brains, and bits of old books."

Borou grinned, carnivorous teeth gleaming. "Well, Ralai did spend a fair few temprae in seclusion... Perhaps he just cracked the whip often enough to get it out of his system?" 

Lora
Hamana's return cry was closer, coming from behind and below Lora. "Many things are made by great powers: mountains, rivers, Lighthouses, Keelai, there must have been a beginning to all of this, no? What do you think great powers were? Gods? Ancestors? The ones that built the cold cities?"

[Finesse+Brilliance: 56, Pass] Something was out of place on the ground, but it took Lora a second glance to pinpoint it. A tendril, too thin and too vertical to be a shred of fog. Smoke, the brief spiral of a recently doused fire. The spiral is torn apart quickly by the wind, and its source remains hidden behind one of the jagged spurs of upright rock. The source is a good distance away from the caravan's path, but on elevated terrain and with a relatively clear path save for the rocks that concealed the fire itself.

Rol and Svurrl
Creel tsks, shifting in a vain attempt to accommodate its three legged body on a square box. "Your help is always welcome, but it's not hands we're short of, it's ideas."

Veraki nods. "But you do provide an alternative should the worst happen. If the shaft splits when we drill in the braces. can you command it to be whole again? I understand your desire for caution with such power, but we do not have the parts to replace the shaft here, and the other wagons will be too overburdened by the additional cargo to pull the extra weight. If the shaft breaks, we will have to run supplies back from town." The temani pauses, hesitant once more. "I've heard some stories of this place, and do not believe that we can leave anything behind here without expecting it to be lost."
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Svurrl shudders a bit to restore his rather abysmal slouch,"Well, if it will certainly split, as you seem to believe,"The one lampade reasonable in the confines of the wagon flicks towards Creel,"Then why not have it split on own own terms? If we do it ourselves, there is no risk of damage to the rest of the cart, and if the Maker stays out of it, I think it wouldn't be too hard to put it back together."The lampade drags down the center of the shaft on the burnprint in demonstration,"See, if it splits down the middle, the grain should be fine everywhere else, and a decent resin or some crystal goop should have it better than when we started, if we're careful."Svurrl stands up now, getting a better look at the others, and beams happily.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

"Look! Did you see it? A wisp of smoke, behind some rocks above the caravan. We'll have to report this."

She angled down to return to the caravan.

"Your question of origin is a good one. Something must make, yet then something must make the maker. Perhaps something once made itself from nothing, or perhaps it is not so rare and difficult as we would assume. Never underestimate the power of a strong will."

Assuming she got to the caravan without issue, she noted the convenience of The White Company and the expedition's leaders being next to each other. It made deciding who to inform easier.

"Smoke. Probably from an extinguished campfire, up there," she pointed. "If they want trouble, they know where to find it. What are your orders?"

Her gaze shifted from Joan to the sprawled Ralai.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

"It is my opinion," says Mudren, "that we should begrudge no creature proper care for their tools. Hermits especially! Why else would they live in seclusion, if not to sharpen themselves in every conceivable way?"

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

PTW
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ptw
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Svurrl and Rol
"Not certainly," Creel said, prying up a splinter from one of the boxes and rolling it between its fingers. "The current momentum of the wagon means that the actual torque on the shaft is minimal. At this speed we'll be able to make it to the next camping site without difficulty. However, when the engine starts from rest, the shaft will have to overcome the inertia of the entire vehicle in order to put it in motion." Creel twists the splinter between its fingers hard, breaking it into two pieces. "I'd give the shaft 4 chances in 10 of staying intact. As for a resin patch... If this crack wasn't running the split longways, I'd agree with you. As it is, I think it would fair the same as their wood-caulk. The twist of the shaft will work the damage too much, and the crack will just open up again and split it."

"But the resin might be able to improve the bracing, enough to reduce the chance of a split," Veraki interjected, eyes intent on Svurrl's lampade. "I agree with you on the timing of the split. Better for it to happen while we're working on it than for it to break while the others are setting out. Ralai will have to make the final decision, but I think we'll have better odds drilling braces than merely crossing our fingers. Particularly if we injected resin and let things set before we began," it added, leaning back from the print. "I think we have a mixture in the rear wagon that could be made suitable."
---

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile

Averrco, truth be told, had found the Bale's story quite humerous...not that his companions could tell. The mannerisms of the Sal Leifnin had always been confusing to other species; Averrco's first human had thought his sarcastic growl as a threat of some kind. He never did learn what exactly the human heard but suffice to say, he wasn't welcome in her inn any more.

"A fine tale and a finer actor. Why you are here rather than in a theatre is an excellent avenue of research."
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

Joan
“Dear endless heaven, I seem to be approached by a chattel that clings to the surface of the world, and human clinging to its back for fear of falling into the sky. Tell me, fair and all-but-falling stranger, what is the name of the bizarre land I have come to?”
"Elysium, teacher. We are at a place between here and there, where I cling to my steed with not fear, but companionship. We border No Man's land, at the edge of the Light of Resolve. Though if I would fall, I am sure one of your kin will catch me."

Hearing the swoop of feathers, Joan looked up to see Lora approach. She lifted her arm to greet her - and on an ulterior note, to humor gravity, if she really would be falling up.
"...And here she is."

"Smoke. Probably from an extinguished campfire, up there," she pointed. "If they want trouble, they know where to find it. What are your orders?"
Feeling it would be best for her instructor to give the orders, both due to respect and deferring to her instructor, she added a question.
"Do we have any information of any other going along the path we take? Lora, how did the surrounding terrain look like near the campfire and ahead of us?"

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile

ptw (sorry for interruption)
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Joan and Lora
Ralai's eyes smiled at Joan, a subtle expression that those inexperienced with Keelai would never catch. He listened to Lora, but did not speak. After she finished, he gave Joan an almost imperceptible nod. He had nothing to add, and this was the reason he had hired the White Company. The old Keelai closed his eyes, undoubtedly still listening, but content to soak up the thin light while the conversation continued.

Averrco and Murdren
"Hear, hear! I might actual watch a play if he performed," Borou said, turning his toothy smile to Averrco. "Though, I would point out that seclusion is not the best way for sharpening certain aspects. Much like combat, there are things that you just need a partner in order to hone properly. Honestly, that's the only reason she keeps me around," he added conspiratorially, jerking his head at Mara.

"Careful, love, these marks are fading," Mara replied with a smirk, scarred fingers tracing the washed out bondmark on her right cheek. "You don't want to say anything that would make me rethink getting out my inks, would you? I-" Mara broke off as one of the caravan's keelai dove down, making a beeline for the lead wagon. She kept her stride steady, but her hand moved reflexively to check her rifle. "Trouble." 

---
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5