Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Food Thread - we *might* draw your prepared meals!  (Read 39564 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile

Dwarf Fortress Food Thread

Ok, the basic premise here is that the food/cooking system (prepared meals) is a as-of-yet mostly unused source of interest. So here's a space to share ideas, art, strategies, tips, mods, jokes and findings with the community, to do with prepared meals (or just raw meat or whatever, or even booze :)).

While it may not seem this way at first glance, DF food can be pretty interesting. For example, did you think it was a thoughtless and hasty script that ignores whether a meal consists of sweet or savoury components? WRONG! This actually really chimes with 14th Century or so cooking, where they did not actually distingiush between savoury and sweet in puddings and desserts to any great degree, though they were aware of the interplay of flavours.

Oh, and ignore the "finely minced" thing. I'm sure Toady cares about this, and will fix it sooner or later. Or someone will make a mod that helps.

Thread News:
I will be willing, if I have time, to draw any especially intersting, or even just noteworthy to you, dishes you suggest that dwarves made, or you did via adv.mode mods. Please post full FB descriptions if they're involved, and your own art would be great!
I will also, if none are suggested, draw one of my own later today!
One wheel short of a wagon

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Food Thread - we *might* draw your prepared meals!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 02:12:34 pm »

OK, then, the very first prepared meal I made this version, after letting a couple dwarves run wild as untrained herbalists:

Spoiler: pic (click to show/hide)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 03:12:46 pm »

Well, as any true dwarf knows real food had exactly 2, 3 or 4 ingredients:

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 04:16:32 pm »

PTW

and maybe contribute a drawing or two.  I'm itching to have an excuse to power level my engraving.

also, half of these are going to be *Cat Tallow Roasts* with the only ingredient being cat tallow. Which I will now take the liberty to draw.

You'd be surprised how dwarves prefer tallow over any other ingredient.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 04:20:28 pm by Alfrodo »
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 04:19:45 pm »

Somebody post an interesting meal? Or should I do one of my own from my own fort to start off?

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 04:40:06 pm »

I tried. Done in 10 minutes.
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 04:41:05 pm »

Mine coming (imgur slow), editing post now... will take a while...

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 04:41:37 pm »

Right then! As there are no volunteers just yet, here we go with a drawing! I'll post the description as an image so Alfrodo can join in if he wants, and outshine me.

Image to come (randomly selected roast):

Doing it now!

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 04:48:07 pm »

That llama cheese roast probably looks like a roast porcupine stuffed with cabbage, coated with a layer of cheese and mashed bayberries atop it. (I've never tasted them, but they're waxy and like blackberries)

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015, 05:10:51 pm »

I pictured about the same thing, except picturing the cheese mixed with the cabbage as part of the stuffing, and a blueberry sauce poured over the whole thing.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 05:14:41 pm »

Blueberries, actually. Here's my take:

Massive image -
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There was a terrible bit where the pad wouldn't draw where I put my fingers for a while, but it sorted itself out in the end... imgur via pad is also hard, the drawbacks almost outweigh the technical power it provides, but not quite... sorry for large image.

Whaddya think?

EDIT: those are meant to be kebab sticks, and the quill is decorative. I guess I imagined a bit more cabbage than you two, or probably the dwarves :P

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 05:35:49 pm »

Code: [Select]
Whaddya think?
hmm. An interesting take. So is the biegish stuff on the kabab alpaca cheese? and the red bit raw hedgehog meat?

A bit rare.  But I guess dwarves eat intestines right out of the animal, so it'd probably be delicious to a dorf.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this, with a few more kabobs lodged in the steamed cabbage, with a little more bayberry in a 4 star dorf restaurant.

I don't know if he purpose of this thread is to make culinary sense of the dishes, or to make fun of the dishes.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2015, 05:38:28 pm »

Me neither. I know I should've worked into it a little more, but my tablet was really messing up; I couldn't undo without drawing, and it drew on the opposite side of the screen from where I touched. Now I know how to fix it (wait fo it to stop) I'll be able to spend a bit more time on those masterwork wolverine intestine roasts.

That's my drawing done for tonight, how about someone else submits a modest-ish (NW) dish to draw?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 05:40:15 pm by NJW2000 »

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2015, 06:40:12 pm »

You should probably get a different program.

I'm using Sketchbook pro, which gives everything a sketched out look.  But you can undo and it works pretty well.

Paint.net and photoshop work well.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2015, 07:35:20 pm »

Well, it is not exactly a drawing.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13