Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Food Thread - we *might* draw your prepared meals!  (Read 39548 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Food Thread - we *might* draw your prepared meals!
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2015, 10:00:23 pm »

This one is almost normal compared to some of the others, but what do people think of this one? The cook seems especially fond of this recipe. I imagine a cut of crundle meat is marinaded with the apricot wine then garnished with artichokes, with a little dinner roll on the side.

Crundle Meat
Cave Wheat Flour
Artichoke Heart
Apricot Wine
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2015, 10:07:34 pm »

This one is almost normal compared to some of the others, but what do people think of this one? The cook seems especially fond of this recipe. I imagine a cut of crundle meat is marinaded with the apricot wine then garnished with artichokes, with a little dinner roll on the side.

Crundle Meat
Cave Wheat Flour
Artichoke Heart
Apricot Wine

Needs more eggs.

No, wait, I mean, this seems like some sort of tempura recipe to me.  Meat and vegetables rolled in a batter with wine.  (Well, maybe it needs some fat/tallow to fry it, but anyway...)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2015, 10:10:46 pm »

Oh, and hey, looking up tallow, I found this little gem.  Apparently, nearly-all-tallow dishes are real.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2015, 04:38:41 am »

Ugh. I might try Baffler's, sometime today.
One wheel short of a wagon

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2015, 06:20:04 am »

Oh, and hey, looking up tallow, I found this little gem.  Apparently, nearly-all-tallow dishes are real.

Foods that are nearly all tallow may be real, but Pemmican (from your link) is usually only 40-50% tallow, with the remainder made up from dried meat, and sometimes dried fruit as well.

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2015, 10:22:41 am »

Crundle Meat
Cave Wheat Flour
Artichoke Heart
Apricot Wine

I'll get to work on this one.  But looking at some Crundle fan art, I'd imagine crundles would have tough, durable and lean meat, and taste a little like chicken, or dog.
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2015, 05:16:28 pm »

Someday, I should start cooking the prepared meals in DF IRL. I shall break out the wine mincer at once!
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2015, 08:40:12 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sorry it took me so long. I included Insert_Gnome_Here's post.
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2015, 01:49:42 am »

This thread encouraged me to take a closer look at what my dwarves are cooking. I'm... disgusted and fascinated at the same time. Dwarven kitchen is truly wild and wonderful and I'm tempted to start writing down recipes.

I mean, chicory, giant olm meat and kaniwa flour mixed in tallow? I'd imagine that's a kind of travel ration. Or chimpanzee heart, forgotten beast meat and dog tripe in pig intestines? That's the heartiest sausage I've seen. Plump helmets, yak cheese, purple amaranth leaves and lettuce? A very nice salad.

Most of the things they cook fall clearly in the "ew but wow" category but there are some that sound like real food.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2015, 11:44:05 am »

Someday, I should start cooking the prepared meals in DF IRL. I shall break out the wine mincer at once!
Some of them are bizarre and impossible and some sound really delicious. Cabbage, cheese, porcupine, and bayberries? Kind of like this? or this but heartier because dwarves.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2015, 12:48:43 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sorry it took me so long. I included Insert_Gnome_Here's post.

Mmm, cat biscuit...

Looks pretty good! And using an axe for mincing is now canon as far as I'm concerned.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 12:52:05 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2015, 12:52:40 pm »

In true Bay12 style, I drew a post-it doodle about the preference mechanics, but will have to wait till I get to a scanner or tablet to show you guys how I draw in monotone...

Which is worse.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2015, 02:54:05 pm »

This thread encouraged me to take a closer look at what my dwarves are cooking. I'm... disgusted and fascinated at the same time. Dwarven kitchen is truly wild and wonderful and I'm tempted to start writing down recipes.

I mean, chicory, giant olm meat and kaniwa flour mixed in tallow? I'd imagine that's a kind of travel ration.

On the contrary, chicory can be used for its leaves in salads, so you're talking leaf, meat, tallow, and flour.  Basically, this looks like something that is wrapped in crunchy leaves, breaded, and deep-fried.

Or chimpanzee heart, forgotten beast meat and dog tripe in pig intestines? That's the heartiest sausage I've seen. [/qoute]

Yeah, definitely a sausage.  Just like a law, it's perfectly fine if you don't see how it was made.

Plump helmets, yak cheese, purple amaranth leaves and lettuce? A very nice salad.

If it weren't for the heavy leaf component, it could be a mushroom saute. 

Also, remember that flour can be made into things like noodles, so a flour and eggs (as I get alot) could be something like a noodle bowl with egg on top. 

Egg can also be used to make mayonaise with vinegar (so let's just presume it's "cooked wine"), so my turkey meat, purple amaranth flour, turkey hen egg, and turnip wine roast could actually be a turkey sandwich with mayo.   

Salt and water and other basics are not ingredients, either, so you might assume they're available and there may be soups and such that are being made with ingredients that aren't obvious.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2015, 04:51:27 pm »

On the contrary, chicory can be used for its leaves in salads, so you're talking leaf, meat, tallow, and flour.  Basically, this looks like something that is wrapped in crunchy leaves, breaded, and deep-fried.

My bad, I was imagining it was chicory root which I seem to remember being used ground as a coffee substitute in real world. So basically I was thinking that one would be a breadish, very greasy meal bar that will sit in your stomach like a bowling ball.

I'm starting to wish Toady would implement cultural cuisine and food recipes at some point... It would add a lot of atmosphere to the game.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2015, 04:52:26 pm »

Heck yeah! Taverns are starting to look real, this would make them great!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13