Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Immigration, Emigration and Refugees  (Read 6617 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Immigration, Emigration and Refugees
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2015, 06:34:47 am »

(removed)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 03:22:36 pm by Toady One »

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2015, 06:55:24 am »

Very nice to see slightly conflicting ideas between the UK and the US.
USA's a big fucking continent on its own; their infrastructure can handle a growing population. Differences in geography will determine differences in policies; take Australia for example. Big country, but most of it is desert. They can't handle immigration, unlike say, a country in the fertile tropics with a shit ton of room for development like Brazil.

I don't think this is really true. Even accounting for desert Australia has 1 of the smallest population densities in the world where as Brazil has incredibly over populated cities. Also saying Brazil is fertile is ignoring the problems high rainfall gives in terms of soil leeching & erosion. They're probably bad examples to pick for the point you're trying to make.
But Brazil has had high rainfall for thousands of years if not longer. If it's fertile now, that already takes the rainfall into account. Anything that could be leeched out by the rain should have already long since equalized. So saying the high rainfall is going to spell imminent doom for Brazil doesn't really work.

It is irrigation that causes erosion and leeching, affecting Australia and Brazil equally. Yet Brazil supports 8 times as many people as Australia, and they could theoretically expand into massive jungle areas which have rich soils. So they are far from their production limit even with current tech.

On Australia's side, we could expand into the desert, but there's basically no soil nutrients or water supply to do that. And when we try and irrigate the dry land, it contains a lot of salts that are then drawn to the surface by capillary action, due to being insufficiently flushed out by rainfall. Then we end up with soil salinity issues, as well as erosion and nutrient leeching.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 06:57:01 am by Reelya »

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2015, 07:29:18 am »

Very nice to see slightly conflicting ideas between the UK and the US.
USA's a big fucking continent on its own; their infrastructure can handle a growing population. Differences in geography will determine differences in policies; take Australia for example. Big country, but most of it is desert. They can't handle immigration, unlike say, a country in the fertile tropics with a shit ton of room for development like Brazil.

I don't think this is really true. Even accounting for desert Australia has 1 of the smallest population densities in the world where as Brazil has incredibly over populated cities. Also saying Brazil is fertile is ignoring the problems high rainfall gives in terms of soil leeching & erosion. They're probably bad examples to pick for the point you're trying to make.
But Brazil has had high rainfall for thousands of years if not longer. If it's fertile now, that already takes the rainfall into account. Anything that could be leeched out by the rain should have already long since equalized. So saying the high rainfall is going to spell imminent doom for Brazil doesn't really work.

The difference is a rainforest is a rot ecology. The nutrients are in the dead trees constantly rotting not the soil. The soil is held in place by the tree roots. This is what changes when you mass clear.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2015, 07:48:05 am »

You do realize your maps actually prove my point. Look at that population density scale maxing at 100 or more. Compared to what Wikipedia gives for south cental england at over 600 or Singapore at over 7000.
South central England happens to have London, one of the largest cities in the world. Likewise Singapore is a city state, and one incredibly populated at that (it is also one of the largest cities in the world). Singapore and London will inevitably be far more population dense than most of Aussieland. I'm not sure what your point is, that Australia is less population dense than London and Singapore therefore the Aussies can start building towns in their desert, or further increase density in their coast? They can't really do either. Australia is not London or Singapore. Both cities have far more available resources and infrastructure than Australia, with a far more agreeable clime.

Also your solutions to Brazils issues sound more like a massive problem then a solution. Where's that big fertile Brazil you are talking about if they turn it into a man made desert.
I'm not talking about solutions, I'm talking about what is happening. I'm not too particularly pleased with what's happening to the environment in Brazil, India or China for the sake of development. End of the day, it is their choice however, likewise immigrants are still free to exploit better economic opportunities in Brazil and Brazil will be able to cope with it. The point is not whether they should, but that they can. Likewise, they are doing so - and have to do so, and on the bright side are also pursuing conservation efforts (it makes plain economic sense to do so) and are cracking down on illegal mining and logging operations. There's a silver lining to it all.

Not really, many of the problems with illegal immigrants (no control over who gets in, no integration because migrants are afraid to interact with the state, abuse of migrants that have no legal recourse, migrants undercutting native by working for starvation wages because they have no other choices...) are specifically problem due to the illegality of the migration. Prohibition is a better metaphor than your burglary one here.
Right now over here it's just the quantity. What with the channel serving as a barrier, illegal immigrants have to either smuggle themselves in, or apply for a visa and then stay when it expires. They are estimated 400,000 to 800,000 illegal immigrants in the whole of the UK for example, while there are 7,500,000 legally residing immigrants. Making those 400-800,000 legal residents will not solve the issue of the millions failing to integrate and even attempting to radicalize the future generations of immigrants against Britain. I wouldn't choose prohibition as an analogy merely because that's rather defeatist. The prohibitionists intended to rid America of the most destructive drug mankind's ever had the fun of making; one should hope attempts to curtail unsustainable migration will not merely be a futile effort that will end in the same outcome - everyone fucked.

But no, if you'll excuse me, I have to rante a little. I am appalled, and to be frank disgusted by some of the sentiments I've seen expressed here. And this is a relatively liberal part of the internet, I guess I should be glad no one supported airstrikes on boat peoples yet.
Being liberal or conservative has nothing to do with immigration. The most authoritarian progressive force pervading Europe would support far worse actions than even a mentally deficient tabloid columnist of the Sun.

We have people fleeing injustice, crossing desert and seas for a chance to beg entry. Those are not any people, they're the one that managed to organize funds, that are willing to risk their life for a chance to better their and their family's lot. They are coming begging at your gate, and you want to turn them away because you're afraid not doing so might (might!) makes you a fraction of a percent less well-off.
You fuckers were mostly born in rich country, with a fucking silver spoon if your fucking mouth, and instead of trying to share that luck with others, you're bargaining your luck, letting a select few in so you might be a fraction of a percent better off.
I had no silver spoon, wasn't even born here, had to spend my childhood making sure I never got the attention of the wrong people. I still wonder whether my area was always shit like that back then, or whether it became shit around about the time when children the age of 7 were smuggling knives in their socks (a bloody stupid place to put it I might add, for obvious reasons). I lived amongst Cypriots, Russians, Bangladeshi, Vietnamese, Indians, Africans and hold fondly onto the fact that I was considered an honourary Paki (though that term has since become politically incorrect). Then my cultural enrichment increased in scope in central London, big fancy City of London, where my personal scope grew to incorporate north london Ashkenazi AND Sephardi Jews, east end Arab Muslims, Parisians, Germans, Poles and a smittering of north/south Americans, all the while remaining in southeast London. And nothing disgruntles me more than the hypocrisy of rich white people telling everyone below them that we need more immigration when they've only ever lived in their gated community or their rich riverside apartment where their idea of cultural diversity was paying someone for a Balkan bite or a Kraut sausage. This isn't aimed at anyone on Bay12, rather the wealthy lib-dem voters I know who have summer homes, and not only that, but summer homes larger than my own house, telling people about how they as people who are born with a silver spoon are willing to make everything worse for everyone else because they are completely unaffected by the consequences of their actions. It is not their house that is burgled, their mother that is assaulted, their daughter who is groomed and their son who goes off to fight in Syria. The richest irony is that rich white college students have begun gentrifying my area, voting labour for more diversity whilst driving it out of the borough.

(response to removed post removed)

So yeah, DF players may have a tiny bit of a clearer picture on migration. Anyways, opinions?
Also, completely missed this. DF and migration only go hand in hand so well because of its horrendous attrition. The Overseer needs to get a megaproject done, this usually involves a lot of migrant deaths simply as a result of the scale of what needs be done and the risks involved. A similar situation would be Qatar, its world cup project and migrant workers. The obvious difference being when a Dwarf dies in DF the Overseer can chuckle and replace him with a new one quite easily, the Dwarf is only so meaningful as the Overseer is willing to ascribe worth to a fictional entity. What Qatar's doing is real life. When a Nepalese builder dies under the sun, that's it for him.
There is perhaps a parallel to be drawn here.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 03:25:32 pm by Toady One »

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2015, 09:03:00 am »

But no, if you'll excuse me, I have to rante a little. I am appalled, and to be frank disgusted by some of the sentiments I've seen expressed here. And this is a relatively liberal part of the internet, I guess I should be glad no one supported airstrikes on boat peoples yet.
Being liberal or conservative has nothing to do with immigration. The most authoritarian progressive force pervading Europe would support far worse actions than even a mentally deficient tabloid columnist of the Sun.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat?

That cartoon is so disconnected from the actual issue that it's properly hilarious.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2015, 11:53:22 am »

@LW
mostly I think we're just arguing over the top of each other. If your talking max. potential population that I'd probably agree with you. If we're talking how many more then are currently living in the country I don't. The 2 examples I picked were just examples. I could pick almost anywhere in the world & still find a higher population density then Sydney or Melbourne. Let alone Brisbane, Canberra, Hobart, Adelaide etc. etc.

As for London being 1 of the largest cities in the world? Realistically it isn't. Take Sao Paulo, population density of 7,762.3 people/km2. This is why I think Brazil is a weird example. It's somewhere that already has some serious overpopulation issues. Now, that could potentially change, but not without a lot of economic & political aspects changing 1st.

As for where in Australia? For a start look again at your map. The distance between Sydney & Melbourne is a 1000km drive. If you've ever driven it, it's mostly empty space. That blue temperate region is bigger then several European countries.

As for expanding in to the desert? That happened a long time ago. If you look where Port Augusta is near the bite Whyalla (a steel industry town) is north of that in that red section. Not a huge place but still a sizeable town by SA standards. There's also a whole heap of little towns along the bite in that red section (the Eyre peninsula). It's a desert in terms of rainfall but it's not necessarily how most people would picture a desert.

Oh, the reason why the US has the highest immigration rate out of all the English-speaking countries is that they're both the easiest and hardest to get into legally. Being an immigrant to the US from Canada, I can say with certainty that I know that the process here (as well as pretty much across the entire world) is broken like no other. I would actually live in Australia right now, but my family didn't quality to immigrate there. They require a "test" of sorts to determine what benefits you would bring to the country based on number of kids, education, et cetera. My family fell 2 points short.

The points system has a fair bit of weirdness in it. Speaking English counts for points if it is you're 2nd language. So you can't claim those points if your from Canada/UK/USA, but you can if your French or German for instance.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 12:17:08 pm by wobbly »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2015, 12:17:56 pm »

@LW
mostly I think we're just arguing over the top of each other. If your talking max. potential population that I'd probably agree with you. If we're talking how many more then are currently living in the country I don't. The 2 examples I picked were just examples. I could pick almost anywhere in the world & still find a higher population density then Sydney or Melbourne. Let alone Brisbane, Canberra, Hobart, Adelaide etc. etc.
Yeah I don't think we understand each other at all

As for London being 1 of the largest cities in the world? Realistically it isn't. Take Sao Paulo, population density of 7,762.3 people/km2.
QFT you genuinely saying London isn't one of the largest cities in the world because another one of the largest cities in the world is larger. Depending on what London you're referring to, the population of London ranges from 12,000 (City of London) to 21 million (Metropolitan area) while Sao Paolo's metropolitan area is 21.1 million. In Europe alone, only Paris and Moscow compare in size.

This is why I think Brazil is a weird example. It's somewhere that already has some serious overpopulation issues. Now, that could potentially change, but not without a lot of economic & political aspects changing 1st.
As for where in Australia? For a start look again at your map. The distance between Sydney & Melbourne is a 1000km drive. If you've ever driven it, it's mostly empty space. That blue temperate region is bigger then several European countries.

As for expanding in to the desert? That happened a long time ago. If you look where Port Augusta is near the bite Whyalla (a steel industry town) is north of that in that red section. Not a huge place but still a sizeable town by SA standards. There's also a whole heap of little towns along the bite in that red section (the Eyre peninsula). It's a desert in terms of rainfall but it's not necessarily how most people would picture a desert.
It's semi-arid, not in the desert, with mild rainfall, with ocean access and still only supports 20,000 people. This to me does not make a good argument for making cities in the desert.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2015, 12:30:21 pm »

I suspect that this may be an issue for Bay12 that we can have a serious discussion on, simply due to the vast number of viewpoints.
Though I must admit, there's something cool about how differently everyone sees the world

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2015, 12:35:14 pm »

Nah m8 you're great

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2015, 12:59:22 pm »

As for London being 1 of the largest cities in the world? Realistically it isn't. Take Sao Paulo, population density of 7,762.3 people/km2.
QFT you genuinely saying London isn't one of the largest cities in the world because another one of the largest cities in the world is larger. Depending on what London you're referring to, the population of London ranges from 12,000 (City of London) to 21 million (Metropolitan area) while Sao Paolo's metropolitan area is 21.1 million. In Europe alone, only Paris and Moscow compare in size.
Saying in Europe alone is cutting out 21 of the worlds 23 largest cities. Though yeah I'll concede that it's not that much smaller or less densely packed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_proper_by_population

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2015, 01:05:41 pm »

Oh yeah by no means am I sticking Europe specific I'm just saying it's big, China and India get dibs on big cities

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2015, 01:37:42 pm »

US Immigration:
Literally takes years to legally get approved.  Family of a friend was just recently stamped for approval and arrived.  After nearly a decade.  It ain't a one of a kind thing.
People are willing to take that chance, up and leave their family and home to come up here for the chance of a paying job where they can send money back.
Families are willing to take that chance, sending their kids up here, alone.
Families are willing to take that chance, to uproot their whole life and come up here.
Illegal Immigrants typically don't integrate because they are illegal.  They rather be left alone/with immigrant 'friendly' folk, rather then risk getting caught.
Basically the running theme here is: "Its a shot in the dark, but I'll take it anyways."  (Applying to boat people in the Mediterranean too.)

Well, there are always tourists and others who overstay.

I'm just saying, if things were not shitty on the 'other side' of the world, we'd have less immigration/refugees.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2015, 03:26:30 pm »

I cleaned out the part with the fuck you and the spitting.  I'm not sure if this topic will work, but if it does, it will be in part because people refrain from the fuck you and the spitting.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2015, 03:55:52 pm »

I cleaned out the part with the fuck you and the spitting.  I'm not sure if this topic will work, but if it does, it will be in part because people refrain from the fuck you and the spitting.

Alright, thanks Toady. I saw you listed as online only for a few minutes and thought that it might not have been you who locked the thread.

Now then..
I suspect that this may be an issue for Bay12 that we can have a serious discussion on, simply due to the vast number of viewpoints.
Though I must admit, there's something cool about how differently everyone sees the world

That's exactly why I wanted to start a thread on this. The topic is a bit controversial and different people see it in vastly different ways. Even in DF, where we have people with somewhat similar interests, we'll still get to see differing experiences. Even due to the different places we live.

Right. Let's keep it all civil now. Also, arguing on what examples a person used might derail the thread in a way we don't want.
Also, wobbly and Loud Whispers, I believe one of you is looking at population and the other at population density. The two can give very different images. And you may want to first agree on what figures you're going to compare. Metropolitan areas? Urban areas?
London is definitely a large city, but pales in comparison to Tokyo.

On that note, why do you think emigration doesn't seem to be a problem for Japan, even with the increasing cost of housing and great overpopulation? (Though it seems to have a decrease in population over time)
According to what I suddenly found on wikipedia, they don't even have a considerable number of foreigners, despite being one of the top countries in the world in technology, human development index and infant mortality rate (as in, having the lowest, according to wiki).

I don't know much about Japan, maybe someone can shed more light on it. I know they do have quite a number of emigrants, usually to the US, but it doesn't seem to be an overbearing amount. (Neither does the US or the UK, but you don't have much overpopulation there).
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2015, 04:28:22 pm »

Continuing sans fuck and spitting-

Also, wobbly and Loud Whispers, I believe one of you is looking at population and the other at population density.
Explains a lot, I'd completely missed that! Yeah I was talking about size in terms of population.

The two can give very different images. And you may want to first agree on what figures you're going to compare. Metropolitan areas? Urban areas?
London is definitely a large city, but pales in comparison to Tokyo.
On that note, why do you think emigration doesn't seem to be a problem for Japan, even with the increasing cost of housing and great overpopulation? (Though it seems to have a decrease in population over time)
I wonder how much of Japan's demographic woes could be solved by mobilizing all the neets and hikkomoris they do already have... Largely because I'm not sure if anyone could convince the Japanese to open their borders. They're really protective about them. And I think they may actually need a few hundred thousand young chinese and korean workers to immigrate within the decade if their country's economy is to grow. Alas, I do not really know all that much about Japan other than it's really weird and doesn't like the Chinese, Koreans, Russians or US marines.

According to what I suddenly found on wikipedia, they don't even have a considerable number of foreigners, despite being one of the top countries in the world in technology, human development index and infant mortality rate (as in, having the lowest, according to wiki).
I don't know much about Japan, maybe someone can shed more light on it. I know they do have quite a number of emigrants, usually to the US, but it doesn't seem to be an overbearing amount. (Neither does the US or the UK, but you don't have much overpopulation there).
I wonder if there's some massive societal behavioural sink going on in Tokyo... You know, like how the larger an urban environment becomes, the less an individual can afford to hold emotional connections between other individuals within the environment? So you have a village where everyone knows everyone and you have a city where no one bats an eyelid to homeless beggars or people who've been hit by cars. Like, maybe they should keep their borders shut, just to allow their population to shrink. I don't think that many people so clustered together can be healthy. Same with China and Seoul, and bless the PRC for trying but I don't think their attempt to help decrease population actually helped.
Also shitty wikipedia link on behavioural sink
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4