Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Hopeless [RPG, OOC]  (Read 4627 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hopeless [RPG, OOC]
« on: June 11, 2015, 04:31:45 am »

This is the OOC thread.  Sign up here!  Once you are in play and accepted, you will start in Port Hope, where you can take or wait for missions and interact with others in town.

The Iron Coast is a frigid hellscape to the far north of Art.  Drakes, trolls, werebears (arktothropes) and constant murderous snow threaten to kill you at any given time, food is scarce, shelter is scarcer and for half the year the sea freezes enough that almost no ships can reach you from the outside world.  No one in their right mind would come here voluntarily.

Except Temzin Arthrus, noted explorer and madman, an Udanese noble who had an obsession with travelling to the arse end of nowhere for no other reason than saying that he had been there.  While on his travels to the Iron Coast, as well as losing two toes he discovered that the coast was not only rich in iron (and diamonds, surprisingly enough) but contained natural sources of kyrite, the most valuable mineral in the world for its magical properties.

Ten years later, the Udanese had the bright idea of setting up a colony to work their intended mines along the coast.  Since nobody would come voluntarily, they made it a prison colony.  Other nations from across the world, seeking the wealth of the Iron Coast, set up trade companies staffed by prisoner labour that would establish their own mines, using the Udanese colony as a port.  In exchange for the appropriate tarriffs, the Udanese agreed.

It is late in the year 783a, thirty years on, and you have been shipped off to the town of Port Hope, the only stable settlement on the Iron Coast.  Even now, in the depths of winter, prison ships still come to Hope.  Prisoners like yourself are dropped off on the edge of the ice field, given some basic supplies and told what direction to walk - and that's exactly what just happened to you.

To sign up, you need a few things.  For skills and equipment you also get three XP, which you must spend.

Name:
Race: See 'races'.
Origin: Where do you come from?  Some hints in the 'races' section, but you don't have to come from the same place as your race.
'Sponsor' Company: Who exiled you?  See 'companies' for information.
Crimes: What crimes are you guilty of?  You can be here on made-up charges, if you're a political prisoner or a slave.
Goal: What do you want out of the Iron Coast?  "Escape" is perfectly valid.
Skills: See 'skills'.
Equipment: See 'equipment'.

[Strongly inspired by the format of Einsteinian Roulette, set in a certain world, far from the established lands.  I intend this to be an adventure of certain and repeated death, so be ready to re-roll on occasion.  Low fantasy world, with varying tech levels.  Just about pre-industrial, although the Golden Reaches suffer from schizo-tech because totalitarianism.  This is a bit of a semi-experimental game for me mechanics-wise, so we'll see how it goes.]

Spoiler: Races (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Companies (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Skills (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Magic (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 07:25:50 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Hopeless [RPG, OOC]
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 04:44:56 am »

Spoiler: Egil, original (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Egil, current (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 03:42:55 pm by Harry Baldman »

Vacio

• Bay Watcher
  • I have awoken from my long slumber....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 05:31:23 am »

Looks cool. I'll see if I have it in me to join another game.
Discontinued Game
Los Diablos

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 06:05:29 am »

Korlanese: You come from one of the small jungle nations of the Ashen Coast, the largest of which are Korlan, Apthi and Swastamik.  The Korlanese tend to have dark, almost black skin with black hair, living in tropical climes.  The Ashen Coast is technologically backwards by comparison to the rest of the Sea of Storms, primarily relying upon archery and melee weapons, but they have a longstanding tradition of magic as part of their culture.  The biggest exports from the Ashen Coast are coffee, diamonds and kyrite.  Religious leanings are primarily Korlanese Shamanism (an animistic faith), although a Mirish colony in Korlan has begun to spread Orthodoxy there as well.  Typical names include Adisa, Chike, Ime and Mbali.

Korlanese players start with either a +1 to Melee or Archery and a +1 to Stealth, or access to Necromancy.

;_;

Korlan will always be pseudo-Germans in my eyes.

Regardless, sheet incoming.

EDIT: Actually I'm in too many things already.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 06:11:00 am by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 07:54:31 am »

Might join soon...
Black lives matter.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 04:04:27 pm »

Name:  Sinimis Valentibus
Race: Hatcuri
Origin: Hatcur
'Sponsor' Company: The CTC
Crimes: Kyrite Theft
Goal: Magical Power and Kyrite
Skills: Arcane lvl 3 (3 xp+Race)
Equipment: Robes, Writing Tools/Materials
Magical Affinity: Generalist (Mentalist if I am unable to be a Generalist)
Spells: None Yet
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 07:51:09 pm by ATHATH »
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 08:54:27 pm »

Name: Sonja Cadmilsious
Race: Eldanic
Origin: Eldania
'Sponsor' Company: House Chan
Crimes: Maybe, possibly, stealing iron from the mines to use.
Goal: To become a great smith.
Skills: Racial: Smith; Canny (-1 XP)
Equipment: Claymore, Leather Armor, 5 ducats
Black lives matter.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 10:56:22 pm »

Bowtie's cool, Athath's cool but you will have had basic training and education in either Force or Mental, despite not having any spells there.  Since it determines what spells you can learn without acquiring more basic grounding in another school, you need to pick one of the two.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 01:48:29 am »

Interesting. I didn't know/remember you were one of ER's watchers. I may join and post a sheet here depending on availability.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 10:21:42 am »

Interesting. I didn't know/remember you were one of ER's watchers. I may join and post a sheet here depending on availability.

Only recently got into it, actually.  Been largely unaware of it for aaages.

Edit:  Once I've got four players, I'll set up an IC thread.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2015, 07:36:57 pm »

Name: Tadisill Coerpus
Race: Korlanese
Origin: Eldania
'Sponsor' Company: Captain Erikssen
Crimes: Vagrancy
Goal: To go home. To bring wealth with me. To survive.
Skills: Archery 1, Stealth 1 (Racial), Survival 1 (-1 XP)
Equipment: Longbow, Leather Armor, Quiver w/25 Arrows (-2 XP)

New Skills: Woodworking 1
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 05:47:03 pm by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2015, 07:48:36 pm »

Bowtie's cool, Athath's cool but you will have had basic training and education in either Force or Mental, despite not having any spells there.  Since it determines what spells you can learn without acquiring more basic grounding in another school, you need to pick one of the two.
Can I spend exp to become attuned to more schools or begin as a Generalist?

Also, I changed my sheet.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 07:57:00 pm by ATHATH »
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2015, 09:24:58 pm »

Can I spend exp to become attuned to more schools or begin as a Generalist?

Also, I changed my sheet.

It would cost 3XP in game to learn the grounding of a new school from someone else who knows it (as a napkin rule), so I suppose you could but you'd be sacrificing the arcane skill points.

Sinimis, Sonja and Tadisill are cool (Korlanese enclave in Eldania?  Interesting.), will gp when we have four.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2015, 05:16:09 am »

Right, wrote up my sheet.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2015, 09:50:38 am »

And we are a go.  IC thread is active, and you're trapped on the ice under dangerous circumstances.

Pages: [1] 2 3