Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: SpeedPhreakz (Signups still open)  (Read 1163 times)

xelada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
SpeedPhreakz (Signups still open)
« on: June 10, 2015, 08:45:14 pm »

This was first shown in the XKCD forums, the response was somewhat tepid so I thought it might be better received here.

Introduction
In this game of planning and pushing your luck you take the role of a racer trying to be the first to cross the finishing line. Simple in theory but these vehicles aren't exactly the easiest thing to control, with crashes and random explosions commonplace, will you be the victor and take home the prize, or will you end up as another smoking pile of scrap for the crew to clean up? Find out in SpeedPhreakz.

Setup and Flow of Play
The game starts with everyone picking a colour, starting location on the starting line (players may share starting locations), orientation and submits their actions for the first two rounds, then the first round is resolved, then everyone submits their actions for round 3, this continues, with the next round resolved then the players setting their actions for the round after next and so on until someone crosses the line. That person is then declared the winner.

Control
During a round you have a limited amount of “control”, this will be an amount between 101 and 200 (1d100+100) this is rolled at the start of the round after everyone has submitted actions, everyone has the same amount but the amount may vary from round to round. Actions cost a certain amount of “control”, if you run out you are considered to have “lost control” and, for that action and all subsequent actions that round a d10 is rolled and is checked against the table associated with the action, this will determine what the action becomes, if the result with modifiers ever falls outside the range on the table then you crash. Additionally the deficit is added to the cost of your first action of the next round (you do not get to reduce the cost of your first action by being under the amount of control you are given that Round).

Recklessness
If your first action of a round would cause you to lose control you gain a point of “recklessness”, you will also get a point for every 100 points of control you go into deficit in a round. All recklessness is removed if you complete a round without “losing control” or if you crash. For every point of “recklessness” the results of the d10s rolled while you have “lost control” are moved one further from the middle (one point point would turn a 3 into a 2, a 5 into 6, a 9 into 10/a crash).

Crashing
If you drive into a solid object or end the round on the same square as someone or adjacent to someone who has crashed when they “crash” you are considered to have “crashed”, you might also crash if you lose control at an inopportune time. If you crash then: you instantly stop, you lose any actions left for that round, if any, your actions for the round are scrapped and your recklessness is set to 0. You are then placed back on the board on any of the legal spaces adjacent to where you crashed (possibly including where you crashed) with the orientation of your choice. You then submit your actions for the next round with the first action’s cost increased by 50, plus an additional 50 for each point of “recklessness” when they crashed. You then submit your actions for the turn after as you would normally.

Winning
To win be the first to complete the track and cross the finishing line, if you are the only one to cross it that round then you obviously win, else whoever had more control upon passing through is the winner; if a tie persist then whoever has crashed the least then, whoever submitted first.

Extra Rules:
Your first action of a round must be either a forward or a reverse, it can’t be a turn.
You may not have two turns one after the other when submitting, there must be at least one forward or reverse between them.
Do not worry about rolling, I'll deal with the dice, you just need supply the actions.

Action Chart: (straight tail means movement, curved means only turning, the direction of the head determines change in orientation)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Terrain key:

Map

Any questions and I'd be happy to answer them.

Signed up:
Nerjin
RPGeek
scrapheap
salsacookies
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 06:50:22 pm by xelada »

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
Re: SpeedPhreakz
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 08:51:15 pm »

I think I'd like to join this. Could I be Green?
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 09:56:15 pm »

Ptw
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 11:14:21 pm »

Seems interesting. Let's try it!
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

xelada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 06:38:19 pm »

Hmmm... two people isn't a lot (three if I join in)... well you can at least submit your actions, either put them in a spoiler or PM me your actions and starting spot (if possible separate the actions for the first and second turn) and if you haven't already, claim a colour. Also you may as well give your racer/vehicle a name.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 11:49:45 pm »

I'd give it until the end of the weekend mate. Gives people achance to join.

xelada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 05:19:10 pm »

Good point, guess I'm kinda jumping the gun a touch.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 06:09:25 pm »

Hey, it happens.

xelada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SpeedPhreakz (Signups still open)
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 01:03:25 pm »

I changed the title so hopefully it's more obvious I'm looking for players.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 01:15:10 pm »

I'll throw my hat into the ring.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

xelada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2015, 12:07:58 am »

Do any of you have preferences when it comes to your colour?

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2015, 12:30:30 am »

I like Teal.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2015, 03:37:33 am »

No preference
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2015, 09:37:55 am »

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2015, 11:12:31 am »

PTW though being red would be neat.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!
Pages: [1] 2