Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bug-or-feature: buried magma pipe visible on embark  (Read 2606 times)

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bug-or-feature: buried magma pipe visible on embark
« on: March 20, 2008, 01:13:00 pm »

I found a magma pipe (red squiggle on the local map) in exactly the kind of place I wanted to be (seashore, sand, flux), and embarked.  To my surprise, there was no magma pipe to be seen!  However, I dug to where the local map said there'd be magma, and found it.

So, bug or feature?

Yourself

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bug-or-feature: buried magma pipe visible on embark
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 01:16:00 pm »

This happened to me quite a long time ago as well.  I didn't really know what I was doing back then so I never worried about it and just started a new fortress.

Zara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 01:25:00 pm »

We had some discussion on this on the wiki. If you have a magma pipe that you have found using regional prospector it might or it might not be visible on surface. However, if you have a volcano that you can see on the embark map anyway, you should always have magma visible from the surface.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 03:21:00 pm »

No utilities, no mods (except a few settings in init.txt).

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 06:22:00 pm »

Sometimes a pipe has a layer of obsidian floor or an actual obsidian layer over it.  On almost any map where this occurs you can tell where the pipe is by the patch of stone instead of the grass. I've noticed that it typically occurs in colder climates.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 06:32:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by beorn080:
<STRONG>Sometimes a pipe has a layer of obsidian floor or an actual obsidian layer over it.  On almost any map where this occurs you can tell where the pipe is by the patch of stone instead of the grass. I've noticed that it typically occurs in colder climates.</STRONG>

Nope; it's dirt on top.  With trees and shrubs, all elf-like.

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 06:46:00 pm »

I had this happen once to me.
Funny thing though? I had about three worlds from that same seed at the time (I was prospecting for good locations for my community fortress and was embarking to get a look at the local wildlife) and I went to the same spot on another seed and the magma chamber was visible and not fully buried.
Didn't know what to make of that. Of course I didn't even use that spot in the end, but still, kinda weird.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 08:22:00 pm »

Basicly, magma will be there,just when generating the landscape, it happened to be to close to a hill or mountain and got swallowed.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 09:50:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Zironic:
<STRONG>Basically, magma will be there, just when generating the landscape, it happened to be to close to a hill or mountain and got swallowed.</STRONG>

Sure.  But then, should the dwarves be able to show me a map that has red squiggles on it?

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 10:43:00 pm »

If anyone can, it would be the dwarves.
Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster