- 3 (20%)
- 4 (26.7%)
- 5 (33.3%)
- 3 (20%)
Something else (post in thread)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 92

Author Topic: Sword Art Online RPG - OOC - Might be getting a new GM!  (Read 86701 times)

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sword Art Online RPG - OOC and Interest Check
« Reply #105 on: June 07, 2015, 11:15:14 pm »

...We have not accounted for AoE.

Or other unavoidable attacks.
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 07, 2015, 11:16:52 pm »

...We have not accounted for AoE.

Or other unavoidable attacks.

AOE: I move FOURTY SQUARES A TURN.

And all the AOE attacks in SAO had an indicator before they actually fired.

Also, what unavoidable attacks? The system itself makes unavoidable attacks impossible.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 07, 2015, 11:17:25 pm »

Hey, this is a forum game, DM rules all.
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 07, 2015, 11:17:45 pm »

All it takes is one mob with an untargeted AoE ability and you're dead, with your single-digit HP and minimal resistances.

That said, the problem with the effects of level scaling on the d100 system are very real. Even with a balanced start, it'll only take 10-12 levels to pump a stat over 100, and everything past that point minimizes the effects of the d100 roll, making everything an almost foregone conclusion based on stats. Not that that's necessarily bad, just thoroughly predictable.

I mean, unless AGI is meant to imply a literal dodge %. The better approach would be to treat it as half of a two-part AC. Basically, treat it as a flat number which is checked against a given monster's chance to hit (which is what the Combat spoiler implies), just as you check END + Armor vs. damage.

My suggestion: Use the d100 percentile roll as a multiplier. Multiply whatever base stat is being used by the die roll taken as a percentage, and turn chance to hit into opposed rolls. Here's an example:

Player 1 has 120 AGI with no bonuses to dodge. Monster 1 has 95 DEX and a weapon with +25 Hit. Monster 1 has a base to-hit of 120, Player 1 matches that. Player 1 rolls 34, Monster 1 rolls 56. Player 1's effective AGI for the attack is 1.34 * 120 = 160.8 = 161. Monster 1's effective to-hit for the attack is 1.56 * 120 = 187.2 =187. The monster hits successfully, and you proceed to roll damage and check it vs. the player's resistance and health.

Eh, maybe it's complicated, and maybe there's a problem I didn't spot.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 07, 2015, 11:19:48 pm »

Well, technically Agi is an external penalty to the other guy's attack roll.

But yes.

D100s are stupid difficult to design for. Either numbers are too goddamnhuge and you get shit that's just 'I dodge.' or they're so low it doesn't matter.

Also, point.

God all the defense stats are bullshit.

Enough AGI and you straight up can't get hit.

Enough RES and you're basically invulnerable.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 11:22:46 pm by ragnarok97071 »
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 07, 2015, 11:22:27 pm »

Also, quick thing: Person with acute knowledge of the game's mechanics + hax = LOL INSTABAN
Black lives matter.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 07, 2015, 11:23:30 pm »

Also, quick thing: Person with acute knowledge of the game's mechanics + hax = LOL INSTABAN

Beta Tester = Yes is basically an open ticket for 'yeah I IC know how to break this shit if there's even the smallest window.'

Also, THIS IS WHY I AM POINTING OUT THE BROKE SHIT.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 07, 2015, 11:23:56 pm »

To be honest, I would never work with someone who's Min maxing like that anyways. Mostly because they'd be horrible teammates.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 07, 2015, 11:25:45 pm »

"Hey, Min McMax, watch out for that --"
[MIN MCMAX]
     HP: 0
"...I hate that guy."

You know, you can point out the broke shit by simply stating it, not going on a big spiel about it.
Black lives matter.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 07, 2015, 11:27:06 pm »

I'd avoid minmaxing like that because it's boring in something like this. Also because in-universe the game is run by an AI with creative control over how it develops, and I have no idea how sadistic Twinwolf is as a GM in the face of munchkin players -- I certainly don't intend to be the one who finds out by way of an entire floor designed to brickwall my gimmick.

3. Run Resize Enable

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 07, 2015, 11:28:04 pm »

I'd avoid minmaxing like that because it's boring in something like this. Also because in-universe the game is run by an AI with creative control over how it develops, and I have no idea how sadistic Twinwolf is as a GM in the face of munchkin players -- I certainly don't intend to be the one who finds out by way of an entire floor designed to brickwall my gimmick.

Better response would be to just fix the broken mechanics before we start.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 07, 2015, 11:29:25 pm »

Yeah, but like. Broken doesn't mean "use this". It means "point this out beforehand and don't use it either way, because either you'll be scrambling to redesign your character when GM changes it or wondering when the other shoe will drop if they don't".

3. Run Resize Enable

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 07, 2015, 11:32:06 pm »

Yeah, but like. Broken doesn't mean "use this". It means "point this out beforehand and don't use it either way, because either you'll be scrambling to redesign your character when GM changes it or wondering when the other shoe will drop if they don't".

See, there's two things. There's me, and there's my character who's playing this character.

I want to make stuff balanced. So I point things out.

They want to make a PvE monster.

So if the game is a broken, exploitable mess, they're going to exploit the hell out of it.

If they take steps to unbreak all the defensive stats (holy shit RES) then I'll just use my original build that was actually reasonable.

then again, SAO in the show/books was kinda a broken, exploitable mess anyway.

So.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 11:34:10 pm by ragnarok97071 »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 07, 2015, 11:56:07 pm »

Well it was a power-fantasy harem-antics LN of the sort that Western weeaboos adore, so of course the game was broken, but only in the way that served the protagonist.

That said, we've already diverted from canon -- by my recollection, the only stats mentioned were STR and AGI, Sword Arts were generic and weapon-based, and (obviously) combat was skill-based rather than stat-driven.  :P

But yes, my character is an MMO player. He's well aware of the fate of those who exploit flaws and bugs overmuch. There's a very measured touch required for that sort of thing, you want to exploit just enough to profit decently while maintaining plausible deniability ("Oh, no, I didn't know that the gold drop from this event was bugged! I only played it for an hour while I was waiting for my guildies to get online." vs. "Uh, I totally ground that event for nine hours straight because it was fun."), or in this case hedging against Friend Computer going yan-yan on those using a stat spread that was broken at launch.

That said, as things currently stand it isn't actually that bad once you start running into higher leveled mobs -- if you're stacking defense you're not going to be able to solo content or hold aggro properly because you won't be able to hit/damage higher leveled enemies past a certain point, and vice versa a pure offensive build will die instantly even to trash mobs.

3. Run Resize Enable

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 08, 2015, 12:04:19 am »

Really tempted to make a Sachi expy. Give me a moment, I have to pull out my old character folder, I have just the one for this.

Also, Christ alive, I knew I should've stayed up to make that sheet :P
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 92