Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Winter Help !!!  (Read 1668 times)

Nikica

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Winter Help !!!
« on: August 05, 2007, 10:33:00 am »

I am new to DF and english is not my primary language, on the Surviving Your First Winter page I don't understand this: Select an area extending into the mountain face. Initially, there are two objectives to mining: find the underground river to begin farming, and clear enough space for workshops and stockpiles.

Can someone give me an example (like a screenshot) where to put the mine ?!

Am Nikica !!!

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
Re: Winter Help !!!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 01:12:00 pm »

Anywhere along the entire mountain face is fine. Just dig a straight line in, and you'll hit the river eventually.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Winter Help !!!
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 01:15:00 pm »

I recommend starting right where your wagons are.  Designate the digging 5 high by 12 deep.  Take the first stone produced and build a masons, mechanics and crafts shop outside.  Make 3 mechanisms, 5 stone blocks, 2 stone doors, and 10 stone mugs.  Next dig 1 high centered on your 5 high and due east until you hit the river.  Put a door immediately at the start of that passage.  It will look something like this.
code:

............+....................river

This gives you a place to put the trade depot just inside, and you can use the blocks to make a drawbridge.  The mechanisms are used to close the bridge.

Once you know where the river is and how it is shaped then you can start planning how to lay out your farms.  Right after you hit the river you will want to put a floodgate at the spot you hit it.  You can then make some more mechanisms to work the floodgate.  Be sure to check out farming and flooding on the wiki pages.

"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.