Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Legendary+5 Axe Lord executed for violating production order  (Read 6832 times)

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
Re: Legendary+5 Axe Lord executed for violating production order
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2015, 04:24:24 am »

I don't usually appoint guards, sheriffs or hammerers, just to avoid this kind of trouble. Unless I happen to get one of those artifact candy hammers, in which case the scrawniest dwarf in the fortress gets the hammerer post, just for fun.

Actually there's no reason to have any kind of law enforcement officials; fortress justice is handled far better by other means. Berzerkers and the like can be dealt with just as well by regular militia and I don't consider production or export violations as crimes at all.

Borderline cases like breaking bridges while tantruming or murdering someone and making a bone helm out of them are of course bit more difficult. In my fortresses that usually means automatic volunteering for trap testing or naked cavern exploration. Unless it was a really cool helm...
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
Re: Legendary+5 Axe Lord executed for violation of production order
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2015, 04:38:24 am »

So he's really unlucky.

So, next time the guards will fight the goblin siege. :P It is a reward.

The gaurds? no no no no....The Major who did that mandate and ordere the 'punishment'.
After that stunt he needs to prove that he is still worthy of being a Dwarf by being send against the next enemy. Unarmed and naked.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2015, 05:53:01 am »

I could imagine a plotline where the mayor and this axelord had something of a feud, and the mayor (a petulant, whining bastard who always gets his way) wanted revenge. After perusing the fort records, the mayor noticed a small detail in the logbook: said axelord described himself as a novice tailor back when he first immigrated.

Abusing his knowledge of dwarven justice and his personal ability to order production, the mayor set to work. He knew that his production order for a *cave spider silk left mitten* would probably never be filled by an actual worker, due to the fact he never actually told anyone about it - instead filing the signed-off production slip into the "already read and taken care of" pile of papers behind the managers back. In order to accomplish this the mayor had to get the manager mad drunk, which only increased the chances his order would never be discovered.

The guard wasn't supposed to kill him. The mayor, some weeks later, had taken the final step and filed an order for dwarven justice to be carried out upon the Axelord. No one balked when hearing this, for this wasn't the first time the mayor had taken himself upon this particularly circuitous path of vengeance.

What surprised people was the dwarf who was told to mete out said justice. Only going by a first name, Cog was the sort of dwarf with whom everyone knew to carefully cultivate a friendly yet distant relationship, for his regular fits of misguided rage and violence led to injuries and pain. His well-guided fits of rage, however, were almost always lethal - and please note that "well-guided" refers to a judgement made by Cog's brain, and object so utterly illogical it's a planned research topic for your scholars in Toady's next update (Just how can he  even breathe when every decision he makes is so profoundly stupid? Can we harness this chaotic mess of neurons and turn it into something more powerful - or at least stop him from hurting people all the time? Can his unique un-intelligence be attributed to his genetically inbred family line?). Cog was a fortress guard only because he was uncontrollable anywhere but the barracks, and even there the other soldiers were fearful. He was never given any work, since that might have distracted him from the apparently-difficult task of "try not to maim anything," much less the job of serving dwarven justice.

You see, the mayor thought he knew what he was doing by assigning that beast of a dwarf as punisher. "I want to show him I really mean business," the mayor thought to himself, "Cog should rough him up nice and good but not too bad, you know? How bad could it be, I mean the guys an axelord what could go wrong lol it's not like cog is batshit or anything. . ."

Cog, upon receiving the order to "dole out 6 fairly-metered strikes", sought the axelord immediately and with passion. No one told the axelord that cog was coming to 'punish' him, as no one had time - the two were sparring together inside the barracks. Looking up from the slip, Cog walked over to the axelord as if excited about what he had read. The axelord himself leaned over to catch a view of the contents of the order, and was fully unprepared for Cog's metaled fist. Hacing interpreted the order as something along the lines of "murder the axelord in 6 different ways, all equally violent", Cog launched that fist with his entire body. Something akin to a lead minecart immediately fractured the axelord's nose, driving a splintered bone through into his brain. The fist didn't stop, however, and frankly the resulting image is sort of like those weird bread bowls I saw on a korean tv show the other night where you break the top in with a spoon and there's amazing noodles inside. Replace the noodles with the axelord's brain, and you might have a pretty tasty desert. Replace the noodles with his brain, the bowl with his helmet and the bread with his face, and you might get the picture.

And guess what? The mayor doesn't even care. Problem solved, feud forgotten, nemesis dead - and only Cog to blame.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2015, 09:49:28 am »

Yeah, I don't know about you guys, but since I hand-pick my mayor from my Starting Seven, my mayors are always extremely useful, if overworked individuals. 

My current one is a legendary carpenter (with perfectionist - she spams masterwork beds like nobody's business), legendary bookkeeper, legendary appraiser and has high levels in consoler and other useful mayor skills.  (I gave her a break after legendary carpenter to up her social skills.) Her consoler skill keeps stressed dwarves from tantruming, and improves the overall health of the fort by letting whiny dwarves blow off steam. 

The problem here isn't that your mayor is a bad mayor, it's that you didn't properly screen your mayor and feed them some social skills to keep your best contestant on top.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Tyyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2015, 09:56:54 am »

Not just social skills but be careful with their likes as well. Common materials and common items are the best likes as they make fulfilling mandates simple.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2015, 11:14:02 am »

Just say no to justice systems. I don't enable mine and I never have these incidents. If you enable yours you will have these incidents.

Don't dig into caverns if you don't like Forgotten beasts epidemics and don't enable justice systems if you don't like criminal punishments.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2015, 11:53:24 am »

Are you sure the dwarf was actually wearing the iron helm?  I am pretty sure iron should block all punches, although I am not certain how strong a legendary puncher would be.

Is it possible that either:
(a) you had assigned an iron helm, but it was not worn.  As mentioned several times already in this thread, the dwarves live to screw things up, and will not put on their iron helm (instead preferring a cloth cap or whatever they already had) unless you tell them to replace clothing with their uniform, instead of wearing their uniform over clothing.

(b) He was wearing an iron cap.  Caps only cover part of the head, so for every hit there is a chance that it provides protection, and a chance that it does nothing.

If you are absolutely sure he was wearing an iron helm, then I am very curious about this, and may do some !!Science!! to investigate.  Also, which version of DF are you running?  I don't know if it makes a difference in this case, but there were several combat changes between 34.11 and 40.XX.

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2015, 01:46:04 pm »

Are you sure the dwarf was actually wearing the iron helm?  I am pretty sure iron should block all punches, although I am not certain how strong a legendary puncher would be.

Is it possible that either:
(a) you had assigned an iron helm, but it was not worn.  As mentioned several times already in this thread, the dwarves live to screw things up, and will not put on their iron helm (instead preferring a cloth cap or whatever they already had) unless you tell them to replace clothing with their uniform, instead of wearing their uniform over clothing.

(b) He was wearing an iron cap.  Caps only cover part of the head, so for every hit there is a chance that it provides protection, and a chance that it does nothing.

If you are absolutely sure he was wearing an iron helm, then I am very curious about this, and may do some !!Science!! to investigate.  Also, which version of DF are you running?  I don't know if it makes a difference in this case, but there were several combat changes between 34.11 and 40.XX.

seen legendary dorfs punch orcs so hard they fly 140 meters and then die on impact on whatever stops them...i dont think this is too far fetched.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: Legendary+5 Axe Lord executed for violation of production order
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2015, 02:06:22 pm »

I didn't see the mandate and I forgot to build a jail.

Oops.

Maybe I should have the guard in the first place, they are all legendary fighters...

Oops again.

The wiki addresses everything you mention, so you aren't the first (and won't be the last).
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Justice#Punishments

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2015, 02:37:16 pm »

There's still a chance that you can get hit in the face with either. I'm not entirely sure if that can result in brain trauma, however.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2015, 07:51:10 pm »

There's no way to check since I didn't have an old save. I always use replace clothing and disable mining/lumbering/hunting jobs for the military dwarves.

But I'm 100% sure helm doesn't block all punches, unless the target is unconscious.

P.S. I didn't have any metal caps.

P.P.S. This is the guard's equipments. My fort has plenty of iron but I'm too lazy to make steel.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 08:05:15 pm by Libash_Thunderhead »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2015, 08:10:39 pm »

seen legendary dorfs punch orcs so hard they fly 140 meters and then die on impact on whatever stops them...i dont think this is too far fetched.

That has to be an older version, because projectile combatants only happens when something huge like a bronze colossus (or minecart) is involved nowadays.  Dwarf strength was massively nerfed since the days when "goblin golf" was a thing.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2015, 08:14:54 pm »

By the way, I'm sort of new to .40, so can someone explain to me why, exactly, all the dwarves are crying all the time?  Their thoughts pages are nothing about them being so friggin' interested in all my doors, bridges, levers, tables, chairs and cabinets, so I've sort of come to the conclusion that they must just be allergic to stone or something stupid.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2015, 08:39:30 pm »

By the way, I'm sort of new to .40, so can someone explain to me why, exactly, all the dwarves are crying all the time?  Their thoughts pages are nothing about them being so friggin' interested in all my doors, bridges, levers, tables, chairs and cabinets, so I've sort of come to the conclusion that they must just be allergic to stone or something stupid.
Late last year the thought rewrite happened, and turned all dwarves into short bearded elves.
Armok help you if they see a sentient corpse.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2015, 09:02:24 pm »

I don't think they are actually crying. But it is not uncommon to see sweat, tear or water covering dwarves.
Pages: 1 [2] 3