Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Is there a hacker locking threads?  (Read 3326 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Is there a hacker locking threads?
« on: June 06, 2015, 08:32:28 am »

As long as I can remember, since I have been on these forums, on the somewhat rare occasion that a thread gets locked by Toady, he has always posted a message in the thread saying why he locked it.

But now last week, my killng in the name of the Buddha thread got locked without any notice, and now Sheb's EU thread got locked, without any notice.

Did you do that, Toady, or is there a troll on the forum who has managed to hack himself into rights to lock threads?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a hacker locking threads?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 08:37:54 am »

Well, the European politics thread was experiencing quite a bit of fighting over the royal dynasties of Aragon with the intent of either proving or disproving the existence of the Catalan people. Wouldn't surprise me if Sheb himself locked it for a day or so just to inhibit the circular argument.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 08:39:08 am »

No, I didn't, although in retrospect I should probably have stomped on it rather than take the "Let's grab popcorn" approach to moderation.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 08:44:00 am »

No, I didn't, although in retrospect I should probably have stomped on it rather than take the "Let's grab popcorn" approach to moderation.
That's the fun way, though.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 08:51:52 am »

That's the !!FUN!! way, though.

FTFY
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 08:52:26 am »

That debate was getting silly, yeah. But IMO not as bad as to warrant locking. It was just heated semi-academical debate between disagreeing amateur historians, which was funny in itself if not for the endless repetition. The EU thread seen much worse without getting locked haha.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2015, 08:54:03 am »

As long as I can remember, since I have been on these forums, on the somewhat rare occasion that a thread gets locked by Toady, he has always posted a message in the thread saying why he locked it.

But now last week, my killng in the name of the Buddha thread got locked without any notice, and now Sheb's EU thread got locked, without any notice.

Did you do that, Toady, or is there a troll on the forum who has managed to hack himself into rights to lock threads?

No, I'm pretty sure Sheb locked that thread to stop a flamewar (well, between two people) erupting over the dynastic ancestry of the Kings of Aragon or somesuch.

Edit: Oh apparently Sheb didn't actually lock it. I guess Toady One did? Though he usually says something.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2015, 08:54:39 am »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2015, 08:54:57 am »

No, I'm pretty sure Sheb locked that thread to stop a flamewar (well, between two people) erupting over the dynastic ancestry of the Kings of Aragon or somesuch.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2015, 08:55:59 am »

« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 04:21:56 pm by penguinofhonor »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2015, 09:00:52 am »

It was a budding flamewar that needed to be nipped anyway, and it was going circular all over the place anyway.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2015, 09:29:20 am »

Buddha thread and Europol thread were just 2juicy 2handle so they got euthanized. Europol should come back to life once Catalan bants calms down

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2015, 09:50:57 am »

Is there a hacker locking threads?
If that were the case, they'd surely have locked a lot more than just two problematic threads.

Toady is probably just too busy to write a notice, or even read the offending thread carefully. And I'm pretty sure he was online when the lockening happened, which is to say that the probability of a hackening is quite low.   

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2015, 09:51:45 am »

Buddha thread and Europol thread were just 2juicy 2handle so they got euthanized. Europol should come back to life once Catalan bants calms down
The Europol thread is just your history-fiction, it was always only a region of the American Politics Megathread.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2015, 11:54:38 am »

The Europol thread is just your history-fiction, it was always only a region of the American Politics Megathread.
Oh pls, Ameripol thread is just a Europol colony
Pages: [1] 2 3