Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 41

Author Topic: BYOR 14 - Night 4: A Tie-ght Race  (Read 76586 times)

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 14 - Day 1: How To Land A Plane
« Reply #195 on: June 20, 2015, 02:55:18 pm »

Flabort
Whaaaaat are you up to NQT? This isn't like you.
I like to try out different strategies. This is the Maximum Opacity Secret Doctrine Strategy. I'm relying on all of you to understand that I'm a competent player and wouldn't be doing this if I didn't have a very good reason (regardless of alignment), but also (hopefully) you'll recognise that a scum-NQT wouldn't play so recklessly. You know all about not being able to share things before their time, right?
True; but not being able to share something before it's time is not the same as not being able to share anything, not the same as not being able to scum-hunt, and not the same as a Secret Doctrine.
And when I say this isn't like you, I mean it isn't like YOU. You're always steeping your posts in large amounts of information; whether it's vote aggregates, walls of text, or other such means of overwhelming the enemy team with information, you've never been one of the secretive players..

So far the camping trip is still on; I'll let you know in two or three hours if it's canceled. Ugh, I hate camping... only one trip a year is enough for me, because that trip is less camping and more socializing with people I only get to see once a year anyways (plus there's a store in the camp and several buildings (While that sounds like summer camp, its not; the do hold summer camps there, but summer camps don't have 100+ seniors, 500+ adults, and all their children all at once)).
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 20, 2015, 02:56:21 pm »

EBWOP: This is not that trip, btw, this trip is real camping with mosquitos and just us and stuff.
The Cyan Menace

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 20, 2015, 03:08:37 pm »

I just came back from camping! I was hiking 87 miles with some friends, camping along the way. It was great! No mosquitoes though, because I live in a civilised country.

True; but not being able to share something before it's time is not the same as not being able to share anything, not the same as not being able to scum-hunt, and not the same as a Secret Doctrine.
And when I say this isn't like you, I mean it isn't like YOU. You're always steeping your posts in large amounts of information; whether it's vote aggregates, walls of text, or other such means of overwhelming the enemy team with information, you've never been one of the secretive players..
Yep, superficially it's not like me, but trying new ways of doing things is definitely like me. I'm still collating all that information, obviously, I'm just not sharing it. Long story short: typically, town don't even read the info I provide, but it helps scum modify their behaviour or spot trends they hadn't realised. So I'm trialling out keeping things to myself this game.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 20, 2015, 03:19:15 pm »

NQT: What makes you think BMC is town?

Also, because BMC asked for replacement, I'm going to extend.

PPE: NQT: I read your explanations. They let people clearly see why people are scummy. Additionally, they help us know that you're town trying to find scum rather than scum trying to push a lynch on an unlucky member of the town.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 20, 2015, 03:31:20 pm »

Sure offering reasons does allow other people to act on those reasons, but it's just D1 so that's not too pressing. And yeah, it makes me look good if I give explanations, but I'm less interested in that. Why is BMC not scum? It's too easy. I know the B12 game: we almost always mislynch D1 and scum get to laugh all the way to the bank.

If I could oppose extension, I would. Let's not drag things out. When I was away I learned a new mafia-strategy. It's called the Thunderdome. Behold...

EVERYBODY
Yes, I mean you too

I want Persus dead today. I'm not giving you any more reason than that. Either you lynch me, or you lynch Persus. Make your decision. Who do you trust?

There can only be one.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 20, 2015, 03:59:34 pm »

Extend.

NQT's thing feels like NQT, not a jester version of him.  If there's any player here who I would expect to run around and abandon the very idea of trying to convince people or being clear in the belief that it's a brilliant idea because it might confuse scum as much as it confuses town, it's NQT.  I think I've even seen him do the "you don't need to question my ideas because I'm town" thing before at some point, though I don't clearly remember.

I know I won't be killing BMC though (I'm not a social conforming person :P Player-wise and RL wise), because I...err, 'know' his attitude and communication style -enough- that I can look at him just like I can look at everyone else here: the same neutral eye which contributes to 'Omg who to kill'.
Tiruin: You know BMC somewhat well?  How does BMC's behaviour today fit or not fit your expectations?

Long story short: typically, town don't even read the info I provide
NQT: We don't?  That's not the feedback I've seen, let alone my personal experience.

Do you intend to generally reveal reasons before your target's lynch, or after?

(As a side note, I've seen this whole 'don't give reasons' thing before.  That was too much of EpicMafia.  Didn't work there, though part of that was due to it being EpicMafia.)
I want Persus dead today. I'm not giving you any more reason than that. Either you lynch me, or you lynch Persus. Make your decision. Who do you trust?
A question, first, while I examine the evidence and consider whether to vote either of you: do you have evidence convincing you Persus13 is scum?  I am not asking you to reveal it, but just whether it exists.

NQT: I read your explanations. They let people clearly see why people are scummy. Additionally, they help us know that you're town trying to find scum rather than scum trying to push a lynch on an unlucky member of the town.
TDS: This feels so...bland.  You could say those last two sentences about any explanations: they're just the basic rationale for explaining votes at all.  Anything specific about NQT's explanations to say?
Also, why is Persus supposed to die?
Space-filling question.  You knew he wouldn't answer this.  Why ask?

You're not a jester by any chance, are you?
Deus Asmoth: Do you think he is now?  Did you think he's a jester when you asked this?  What specifically leads you to those thoughts?

I'd counter that by saying my activity in Mafia has seriously dropped over the past year and that I'm just doing my D1 flail.
Persus13: Should your D1 flail include no questions whatsoever?

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 20, 2015, 04:09:00 pm »

> You're unable to communicate directly, as in, conversationally. 'Directly' here doesn't cover action-language or body-language, it covers verbal conversation (like...how our text tries to mimic when we quote/respond/post at people).
I shrug at this, not nodding or shaking my head or beeping my phone, just shrugging and watching Tiruin.
And a separate question:
> You're bound in honesty. You may not outright lie.
I beep my phone.
And a separate separate question:
> You may not outright lie.
and yet again, I beep my phone.
EVERYBODY
Yes, I mean you too

There can only be one.
I roll my eyes and keep my focus aimed at BMC while pulling up a webpage on my phone and showing it to NQT.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 20, 2015, 04:16:03 pm »

Jack
Long story short: typically, town don't even read the info I provide
NQT: We don't?  That's not the feedback I've seen, let alone my personal experience.
Well, maybe that's not entirely fair. Moreover, town players haven't tended to view my analysis as a compelling reason to vote for someone though it is typically seen as evidence that I'm putting effort into the game. It's definitely a large factor as to why I rarely get lynched.

Do you intend to generally reveal reasons before your target's lynch, or after?
After, though not necessarily immediately after.

(As a side note, I've seen this whole 'don't give reasons' thing before.  That was too much of EpicMafia.  Didn't work there, though part of that was due to it being EpicMafia.)
I can see both sides of the argument. I'm wanting to see firsthand whether it works out for me.

A question, first, while I examine the evidence and consider whether to vote either of you: do you have evidence convincing you Persus13 is scum?  I am not asking you to reveal it, but just whether it exists.
Maybe I do. Maybe I've just got a blood lust and I saw Persus' name first. Maybe there's something deeper going on. You've got to ask yourself one question, who do you trust more right now?

Lenglon
I roll my eyes and keep my focus aimed at BMC while pulling up a webpage on my phone and showing it to NQT.
What's the matter, Lenglon? Chicken?! Lynching BMC is the easy option, I'm offering you a hard choice.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 20, 2015, 04:23:57 pm »

Moreover, town players haven't tended to view my analysis as a compelling reason to vote for someone though it is typically seen as evidence that I'm putting effort into the game.
NQT: That could be said about just about just about any case in Bay 12, honestly.  I've complained about this before, and want a cultural change in favour of greater acceptance of accepting points other than one's own as reasons to vote.  I'm even starting to see a change in other games.  Dumping the convincing aspect of play, though, seems a step not only in the wrong direction, but possibly in multiple wrong directions.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 20, 2015, 04:29:00 pm »

I don't disagree with anything you've said there. Nevertheless, this is the play I've chosen to make. Me or Persus?

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 20, 2015, 04:48:11 pm »

NQT, you're presenting a false dichotomy here. There's no reason to choose between you or Persus when there are fourteen other valid targets, especially when you've given no reason to get invested in it besides your saying so.

Jack, I'm entertaining the notion. He's being needlessly attention grabbing and divisive. Another thought I had was that they're both scum, but that seemed a bit too obvious.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 20, 2015, 04:51:31 pm »

Lenglon
What's the matter, Lenglon? Chicken?! Lynching BMC is the easy option, I'm offering you a hard choice.
I glare at NQT and bring up another webpage before spitting on the ground between us and turning back to BMC.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 20, 2015, 04:59:41 pm »

Deus
NQT, you're presenting a false dichotomy here. There's no reason to choose between you or Persus when there are fourteen other valid targets, especially when you've given no reason to get invested in it besides your saying so.
No reason?

I'm the #1 unlynchable NQT
I'm the exception to the appeal to authority
Persus is the worstest and that is a fact
If it wasn't then you wouldn't be hearing this rap

I'm asking you to make a hard decision: me or Persus? Even if you don't place a vote, where's your intuition lying here?

Lenglon
I glare at NQT and bring up another webpage before spitting on the ground between us and turning back to BMC.
Bkaaawk! You won't even offer an opinion on which of us is worse?

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 20, 2015, 05:08:29 pm »

Lenglon
I momentarily point at NQT but leave my knife pointed exactly where it belongs.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 20, 2015, 05:18:49 pm »

A wind storm blew in and canceled the camping. Yay!
Lenglon
Nope. I don't see a reason to pick a side in this argument without knowing either side's stance. It's like living in Canada in ignorance of the US political system and trying to decide which President is better.

Everyone voting BMC: What is your case for voting him?

Blackmagechill: What is your take on the two current wagons; your own and NQT's?
The Cyan Menace

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 41