Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: kobold diplomat for the elves  (Read 4233 times)

lukstra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
kobold diplomat for the elves
« on: June 05, 2015, 06:33:47 pm »

In the early spring of the year 104, shortly before the arrival of the annual elven caravan, my fortress got a surprising (and unannounced) visit from Cethire Methilaapasi, the elven diplomat... who happens to be a kobold. She met with the fort baron, scolded him for cutting down trees, and left. Apparently the kobold's parents settled in an elven site, allowing Cethire to eventually become the elven diplomat. I'm surprised that kobolds can become incorporated into other civs, given that they don't have sites like other races do. Has anyone else seen kobolds as part of other civs?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 02:54:42 pm by lukstra »

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: kobold diplomat for the elves
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 06:37:00 pm »

...and left.

And you let this just... happen?

<shakes head in disappointment>

lukstra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 06:40:07 pm »

...and left.

And you let this just... happen?

<shakes head in disappointment>

Wait a moment! - the diplomat is currently a guest in the entrance lobby, admiring the +lead minecart+ in the minecart grinder. I'm not sure if I should let her go or not, given how unusual this is.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 08:29:59 pm »

I wonder if it is possible to have a kobold noble of your own?

Inevitability

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 08:59:58 pm »

You should be able to get a kobold queen.
Also normal kobold immigrants in the next version, apparently.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 10:48:03 pm »

I wonder if it is possible to have a kobold noble of your own?

You can have an elven king, so why not a kobold?

Wait a moment! - the diplomat is currently a guest in the entrance lobby, admiring the +lead minecart+ in the minecart grinder. I'm not sure if I should let her go or not, given how unusual this is.

Generally, I let anomalies live, since they will be replaced with generics. 

Think of it this way: You can either have some snooty elf screaming in your face about trees, or you can have some kobold doing its best impersonation of how snooty elves act squeeking and trying to wave around the long flowing hair it doesn't have in a mockery of elven tradition. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

lukstra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 10:53:31 pm »

Think of it this way: You can either have some snooty elf screaming in your face about trees, or you can have some kobold doing its best impersonation of how snooty elves act squeeking and trying to wave around the long flowing hair it doesn't have in a mockery of elven tradition. 

When you put it that way I can't help but agree with you.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2015, 03:25:25 am »

Wait... a kobold talking intelligently ?

Kumquat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2015, 06:10:59 am »

If it is elven diplomat, you (and your mayor) already know what it is going to say already, so talking intelligibly is not a requirement.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2015, 07:05:34 am »

I was about to say just that. Kobolds don't have a language.

...But they can learn language? It is possible to civilize Kobolds?!!! Oh god... Civilized Kobolds...

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2015, 10:02:53 am »

I was about to say just that. Kobolds don't have a language.

...But they can learn language? It is possible to civilize Kobolds?!!! Oh god... Civilized Kobolds...

Wha?  I know kobolds have a tendency to steal a couple samples from others and can be vicious, but I see them as a bit of a cute little fellow species.  The whole thought of a kobold as diplomat for the elves is actually quite neat in my eyes.  I wonder if this lovable little kobold's got an interesting history that got the position of diplomat...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2015, 12:09:41 pm »

Wha?  I know kobolds have a tendency to steal a couple samples from others and can be vicious, but I see them as a bit of a cute little fellow species.  The whole thought of a kobold as diplomat for the elves is actually quite neat in my eyes.  I wonder if this lovable little kobold's got an interesting history that got the position of diplomat...
They make look cute, but they're not as cute when they're putting arrows in your eyes

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2015, 12:12:26 pm »

They make look cute, but they're not as cute when they're putting arrows in your eyes

But then how can you tell they don't look cute?

If a kobold murders you in your sleep and there's no one there to see it, is it still cute?
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

lukstra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2015, 02:52:04 pm »

I'm surprised that kobolds do not have a language. Anyway, here is the picture of the dialogue between the diplomat and the fort baron.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2015, 03:04:11 pm »

By default Kobolds have [UTTERANCES] in their raws
Changes the language of the creature into unintelligible 'kobold-speak', which creatures of other species will be unable to understand. If a civilized creature has this and is not part of a SKULKING civ, it will tend to start wars with all nearby civilizations and will be unable to make peace treaties due to 'inability to communicate'.

And they do NOT have [CAN_SPEAK]
Can talk. Note that it is not necessary for a creature to gain social skills. If a member of a civilization (such as a pet) has this token, it'll need to eat and drink

So it's possible this is a bug that led this kobold to ignore [UTTERANCES] and speak an actual understandable language or your raws are somehow modded.
Pages: [1] 2