Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: editing raw files, creature edit  (Read 1892 times)

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
editing raw files, creature edit
« on: November 30, 2006, 08:09:00 pm »

Ok, I've been playing Dwarf Fortress for a few days, and after being thouroughly amazed with it (its one of the few, if not the only games that i consider to do random worlds in a good way) i decided to mess with raw files and try my hand at modding a bit. So far ive made quite a few nice additions, but some things are frustrating/confusing me.

What exactly does [LIKES_FIGHTING] do?

Do messing with parameters effecting spawning (such as [LARGE_CAVERIVER] or [LARGE_CAVERN] being added or removed) actually change the spawning pattern without starting a new world?

Is there any way to force a creature to appear without starting a new world? (would make bugtesting quite a bit more convenient, for what bit is needed)

Thanks for reading.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: editing raw files, creature edit
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 11:06:00 pm »

some modding information

The entry for LIKES_FIGHTING there is incorrect -- LIKES_FIGHTING just controls whether or not they get a happy thought from killing things.

You can use an old creature token for testing to a certain extent, although it might be a bit unpredictable.  You can't currently introduce new creatures into old worlds.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Syndlig

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 11:11:00 pm »

I have a modding question myself, but it pertains to color.  How DOES color work?  The wiki gives no explanation to it.

[COLOR:0:0:0] From what I assume (from looking at other creatures in-game) the first is the icon color, the second is the background color, and the third is probably the corpse color or something.  I can't figure out what represents what color, though, I haven't seen a list anywhere.

Oh, and first post!   :D

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 11:17:00 pm »

Thank you, i thought the likes fighting tag encouraged them to wrestle, although the idea of them getting happy thoughts from killing stuff is great for purposes of creating a personality.

Right now my main question though is the changing of spawn areas, for instance, if i have a creature that only existed in cavern caves, then i expand them out to exist also roaming on all terrains, would i find them roaming on all terrains with no new world, or would i need to have my computer generate a new world?

Thanks again.

Edit: as for color, i noticed the color comes from the init file (..\data\init\init.txt), at the bottom of the file is a bunch of colors listed with rgb values, and it seems the files for items and creatures use that list, indexed from the top, starting from 0

[ November 30, 2006: Message edited by: AlanL ]

Syndlig

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 11:30:00 pm »

Ah, I figured, it looked like it coincided.  But I'm still unsure about what the third color is.  Do you know?

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 11:49:00 pm »

Color 2 is green, color 3 is cyan.

The third color option adjuts the brightness of the color i beleive, although im not completely sure.

[ November 30, 2006: Message edited by: AlanL ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 11:58:00 pm »

If you expand the biomes a creature occurs in, you'll have to regen the world to get it to create populations in those locations -- the creature pops are all placed in advance, with information about the biome.

The third color is the brightness, either 0 or 1.  The complete list:

0/0 black
1/0 blue
2/0 green
3/0 cyan
4/0 red
5/0 magenta
6/0 brown
7/0 light gray
0/1 dark gray
1/1 bright blue
2/1 bright green
3/1 bright cyan
4/1 bright red
5/1 bright magenta
6/1 yellow
7/1 white

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 12:07:00 am »

Thanks, i expected that was the case.

Syndlig

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2006, 12:33:00 am »

Sooo... say I wanted to add in a canary.  They're yellow.  Would I put [COLOR:6:0:1] to make the yellow color?  Or [COLOR:6:1:0]?

EDIT:  Oops, canary, not kiwi.

[ December 01, 2006: Message edited by: Syndlig ]

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2006, 12:47:00 am »

[COLOR:6:0:1]

Syndlig

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2006, 01:38:00 am »

Another question cropping up.  What are the different blood types?  Do we know what different types do?

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zarat.us/
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2006, 01:48:00 am »

Means different colors/names for the blood the creature produces. Blood, Ichor or nothing.

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2006, 10:24:00 pm »

Ok, got a new set of questions...

Are the human, elvish, dwarf, goblin, kobold civilizations needed for the game to run, along with certain creatures in the creature standard file? Im thinking about writing an entire new database of creatures/civs from scratch, and im hoping that theres no dependancy on certain things still being there.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2006, 01:23:00 am »

There are some things assumed about the entities for world generation.  You need to have a playable mountain civ, and a plains civ, and a forest civ, as well as a nuisance and baby snatcher civ, I think (though it might cope now, I don't remember).  It doesn't care about if you have any of the particular creatures, though you'll find it uses the word "dwarf" or "dwarven" in some announcements and menus during dwarf mode for the time being.

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2006, 03:33:00 pm »

Thanks, that explains why an earlier attempt kept hanging on running civs.
Pages: [1] 2