Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Starfleet- You are the UN Admiral! New Turn- Summer!(SG)  (Read 2736 times)

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Starfleet- You are the UN Admiral! New Turn- Summer!(SG)
« on: June 04, 2015, 01:45:04 am »

Most modern historians generally view The united kingdoms withdrawal from EU as the the critical even that created the geopolitical situation we have today. In the political and economical chaos that followed, UK, Canada, Mexico and USA ( The north America alliance ) soon established their own economical alliance, Russia, China and India  followed suit establishing EAEU, Eurasia Economic Union.

After the Iran-Israel crisis 2027, and the first conflict where two countries was destroyed by nuclear warfare, several of the worlds most influential countries withdrew from the UN in protest. The world has never been closer to nuclear annihilation before. However, no one was willing to drag their nation into mutually assured destruction, and after a few years, tension began to cool down. However, the world was deeply changed, the EU and UN more or less merged, as only African, middle-eastern and European countries remained in United nations. The world divided into three different distinct alliances, the UN, AA (American Alliance, the name was changed after the southern and central American nations joined the alliance), and EAEU.

The world slowly recovered from the economic recession, and many great advances was made. Green energy replaced its dirtier counterparts in many ways, the world population has stabilized and  smart robots made a lot of dangerous profession obsolete.

For the first time in almost a hundred years, men looked towards the stars, this time it was different though, this time, they had a economic initiative to get there. Metals became more are more expansive, and a series of engineering advancements made space-faring cheaper than ever. So begun the second space race, as the three alliances scrambled to colonize the solar system. AA claimed and colonized the moon, while EAEU and AA shared Mars. All three nations have a presens in the asteroid field. UN has a established colony on Europe. As the cheapest and most refined fuel can be found deep in gas giants, all three alliances has probing stations around atleast one of the gas giants.  The first FTL systems are even out on the market. And there is rumor that AA plans her first colony outside of the solar system.  The solar system hasn't seen much fighting, only AA had an established military presens in space, while the other two alliances preferred to focus on economic and colonial growth.. This changed when Napoleon, UN´s largest fuel station was attacked and destroyed by an unknown foe. UN vowed to get to the bottom of this, and so the UN established its first space-fleet...

What is this game about?!

This game is a strategic  suggestion game where the community will lead establish and control the UN-spacefleet. As you will be the highest authority in space-related military matters you are not expected to lead battles from the front. Instead, you are in charge of the budget, establishing larger scale battle-plane, finding the right officers for the right assignments , handling the politicians that wants to cut your budget, cooperating between other parts of the military, designating where to focus the research and much more. But we are getting ahead of ourselves, as mentioned in the history if the game, the UN military presens in space is abysmal. You will have a lot of power to form your fleet however you want.

The game will be quite soft sci-fi, as I am not educated enough to be able to make this game scientifically realistic. Some things are also subject to change, sutch as the way budget system work and the timescale. I am considering one turn every three months in peace time. But I might shorten it.

Spoiler: Abilities (click to show/hide)

Name:

Abilities: For every green one you have to pick a red one. You can pick how many yellow ones you want. Feel free to come up with your own abilities aswell. They must have a long term effect and of curse be balanced. New abilities need to be approved by me. Remember that this is necessarily not about minmaxing, instead try to come up with a combination of abilities that will make a interesting game!
Name of the UN fleet: (Optional)

More information will be posted in the next turn.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 02:21:23 pm by Evil Marahadja »

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starfleet- You are the UN Admiral! (SG)
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 01:46:21 am »

Glossary

FTL
The current FTL engine basically open up a tiny wormhole which is used to shorten the distance to the intended destination. Ships have reported to travel 16 times quicker than light, although it is more common to achieve a speed of 8-10 times quicker. It is yet unknown why the speed vary so much.
The technique is still very unexplored, and the current design has some serious drawbacks.
First and foremost it is very expansive to build ships for FTL travel. To travel through hyperspace puts huge strain on the ships, so they need to be built way sturdier than traditional crafts. They need to have a large computer and complex engine to archive FTL aswell. Secondly, it between a day up to a week for the computer to calculate all the factors to open up a wormhole to the right position. This has to be done individually for each ship.
The range is limited. Our computers aren't able to calculate how to open a wormhole if the distances are to long. We are currently limited to our neighboring stars.
Maybe the worst drawback is that only 67% of the jumps are successful, often ships are destroyed in hyperspace, or we simply loose contact with them. Therefore conventional movement is the norm in the solarsystem.

Conventional engines
Conventional engines are the most common today. They are way slower than light. Our quickest ships are able to travel from earth to Pluto in two weeks, most ships take twice that long. [/spoiler]

UN
A few decades ago almost every nation on earth was a part of the UN. This changes after the Iran-Israel nuclear conflict. Today, the UN consist of Europe (except the UK), Australia, New Zealand, Africa and middle-east. It is a powerful alliance, but the nuclear fallout in the middle-east drained a lot of founds the last 20 years, the UN has fallen behind both AA and EUEA militarily and economically.

AA
The American Alliance, consisting of the American continent, UK and Japan. While not as economically superior as it once was, it has the most powerful military of the three alliances. It is also the only alliances who has an established military presens in space, this will ofcourse change the next few months after the attack on Napoleon.

EAEU
EAEU has grown considerably the last few decades, and its economy is almost in pair with the AA, the alliance has also invested a lot of founds into its military, although they still lack a proper space-fleet.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 02:09:59 am by Evil Marahadja »

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 05:31:46 am »

fuckign finally someone did this, wanted to do it myself but wanted to play it myself...so...ech whatever.

Name: Friedrich Richter
Abilities:
No Ability (if that is possible) since i kinda dont like any of the trade offs

Name of the UN fleet: tempted to call it U.N.S.C. but then again...
Raumflotte der Vereinigten Nationen (RFVN) because why not have a german domintated UN? XD

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 09:35:29 am »

Name: TBD
Abilities: Superior Scientists & Incompetent army
Name of fleet: United Nations Space Task Force

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 01:05:26 pm »

This UN looked like dominated by Switzerland.

So: Raumflotte der Vereinten Nationen / Espace Flotte de l'Organisation des Nations Unies / Spazio Fleet delle Nazioni Unite, and contracted in typical Swiss Fashion, RFVN EFONU SFNU

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 05:25:05 pm »

fuckign finally someone did this, wanted to do it myself but wanted to play it myself...so...ech whatever.

It is ofcourse. Remember that you can come up with your own abilites aswell though.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 05:32:15 pm »

We vote for 1 sheet to play with right?
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 05:47:08 pm »

We vote for 1 sheet to play with right?

Correct!

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 05:47:32 pm »

Name: Friedrich Richter
Abilities:

Name of the UN fleet: tempted to call it U.N.S.C. but then again...
Raumflotte der Vereinigten Nationen (RFVN) because why not have a german domintated UN? XD

+1 If we can have a yellow one without suffering losses in anything than offense should be it.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 05:54:08 pm »

Would having no strengths at all work though? Being average in all respects could be a problem when we're playing catch up.
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2015, 06:16:43 pm »

yeah but look at the drawbacks they are all more or less problematic as hell, same goes fo rthe yellow traits. Better keep an average army and then work more intelligently with what we have rather than relying on the traits. Plus it will allow us a tactical variety and allow us to adapt better rather than being a one trick pony.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2015, 06:20:40 pm »

True, I tried to make a sheet, I want the better officers because that makes every ship and army unit stronger but couldn't decide what to lose. I kept bouncing between science and spies.

But yeah tactics could give us an edge but we'd have to play it slow and careful and avoid any major confrontations for a good long while.
Caine's law.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2015, 07:43:58 pm »

I think it would be interesting to have A powerful friend but the bad spys, anyone agree?
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2015, 08:26:09 pm »

Can you have an Elite, Incompetent army? Like really good SF and really good gear, but training so astoundingly corny and obsolete that literally nobody pays attention except those who WANT to get ahead, and even they go "Wait, this is crap."

Or Stupid Superior Scientists, who insist upon doing such research as Weaponized Cheese when not prodded into doing their actual work?

I have to know.

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2015, 12:47:31 am »

Can you have an Elite, Incompetent army? Like really good SF and really good gear, but training so astoundingly corny and obsolete that literally nobody pays attention except those who WANT to get ahead, and even they go "Wait, this is crap."

Or Stupid Superior Scientists, who insist upon doing such research as Weaponized Cheese when not prodded into doing their actual work?

I have to know.

Haha, sure why not. Although it is more of a disadvantage than anything else, so it is nothing I would recommend.

Update later today or tomorrow!

Pages: [1] 2 3