Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone know the science behind civ housing/shop furniture?  (Read 1170 times)

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Anyone know the science behind civ housing/shop furniture?
« on: June 03, 2015, 04:09:49 pm »

I've been playing a bit more of adventure mode recently, mostly because I find the procedurally generated civ sites pretty interesting. One thing I can't really seem to place though is the distribution of furniture.

Human hamlets are pretty consistently bare. I've only once seen a house that actually had a bed, and the rest were just empty log cabins. Human towns tend to be a bit better - on a few occasions I've found homes that had a "complete" set (bed, cabinet, chest and a table/chair set) but for the most part they seem pretty bare as well. They do tend to have more chests/cabinets, but most homes are still littered to the brink with random articles of clothing. Shops suffer from the same issue, but I did once find a shop with a table. All the sellable items were stacked on this single table. Are shops intended to have more tables to "store" their items? Because I don't think littering the floor with merchandise is intended to be as common as it is.

Dwarven sites seem to handle the whole furniture issue a bit better. Almost all the homes in the hillocks and mountain homes had a complete or near complete furniture set. I've never seen any furniture items in elven sites, so I'm not sure if they simply don't procure any of those items currently, or if there's something broken in their entity behavior. Goblin sites are so laggy, I've been unable to actually visit them for any prolonged amount of time to see how their homes are handled.

So, those anyone know how the game determines how individual homes get furniture? Human sites seem to lack basic necessities most of the time, in stark comparison to dwarves, so if I can find definitive proof that something's not working as intended, I'll probably write a report to the bug tracker. 
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone know the science behind civ housing/shop furniture?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 05:21:45 pm »

TBh it seems the building generator works like that. outside of commercial buildings (including taverns) the game doesnt really puts effort into the creation of buildings, just put some walls and a roof and call it a day (well many people does the same in regards to fortress mode since dorfs arent very picky about living space but still)....

its something that needs to be fleshed out more, maybe even rewritten....

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 06:06:07 pm »

The simple answer is it's a bug see here and here

Basically speaking, the game will generate a city with a population, and if the population expands, they will furnish their city as appropriate, but as soon as the population dies (of age or hunger) then nobody reclaims the old stuff, and they just keep throwing their old clothes on the floor.  Cities also do not have any significant industry beyond agriculture, which means they nearly never produce anything stone, metal, or wood, outside of automatically-generated goods like clothing and weapons on soldiers.  (Which materialize onto them when they choose to be a soldier in worldgen.)

Houses are never reclaimed, either, leading to the infamous houses full of nothing but tables in .34.

Amusingly, cities work perfectly when there are goblins running things, as they will never die of age or starvation.  Goblins running a human civ will slam into the population caps, and you will have well-populated shops that are simply marred by the lack of actual raw material production.  (Meaning the shops aren't abandoned ghost towns, but you still will be hard-pressed to find anything but cloth and food.)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 06:13:04 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 07:50:37 am »

I for one have seen some shops where it all works perfectly, even an armourer with about a hundred pieces of armour, metal, but may just be lucky.
One wheel short of a wagon

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 10:30:45 am »

I for one have seen some shops where it all works perfectly, even an armourer with about a hundred pieces of armour, metal, but may just be lucky.

Those bug reports were from earlier versions (.31 or .34) and there has been progress in making them less crazy, (cities are no longer ghost towns of abandoned shops occupied entirely by a million tables) but by and large, cities do not produce as many materials or finished goods as a population of their size would indicate.  I suspect a few key components of the background simulation are still missing.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 05:39:41 pm »

If I remember correctly the goblins sites have the same level of furniture dwarven sites have.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 01:44:48 am »

Really? Apart from a throne, I never saw any... except statues, of course.
One wheel short of a wagon

Remuluson

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:EDITING_TOO_MUCH:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 09:21:33 am »

Houses are never reclaimed, either, leading to the infamous houses full of nothing but tables in .34.
O.O OMG my character had come back from retiring in house like this!
[ETHICS:FEAR_SOCKMASTRERS:REQUIRED]
[ETHICS:HAVING_TOO_MUCH_ETHICS:REQUIRED]