Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Rotating Nobles: Named rooms?  (Read 2291 times)

davesoft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rotating Nobles: Named rooms?
« on: June 03, 2015, 01:12:11 pm »

Howdy, i've tried this kinda question before and hand my mind blown, here goes:

Can I set a room to be The Mayor's Room, so it changes to whoever is currently the mayor?

I know keeping up with politics is important, but my fortress seems to change their favorite really quickly. Maybe I should cultivate a social dwarf and confine him to party duty or something

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Rotating Nobles: Named rooms?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 01:18:03 pm »

Unfortunately there is no way to automate the assignment of the Mayor's quarters, you'll have to handle that by hand.  As for just setting someone with high social skills to just party and schmooze all the time, that can be semi-reliable, but not perfectly.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

infrequentLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 01:51:34 pm »

There is something in the LNP (probably some dfhack shenanigans) that allow you to assign at least the office to the position of the mayor.  Would be a place to start looking, at least.
Bugs from Normal Games: "The game stutters for six seconds before crashing."
Bugs from Broken Games: "The lighting is weird and the characters have no faces."
Bugs from Dwarf Fortress: "The horses outnumber us. I have seen settlements with a thousand horses to a man. I have seen them in the deepest caverns. They are everywhere. Liberate te ex equus."

Sacasco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 02:57:46 pm »

If I remember correctly, it works for all rooms, rather than just the office. It can be used when a room is assigned to any noble. I've never really used it much, though.
I think it shows up in the bottom-left of the menu when looking at the room with (Q), but I'm not certain of that.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 03:34:35 pm »

If you are not using all your dwarves all the time, the ones off-duty will gain social skills and get their sorry butts elected.  Best is to make sure no one is that idle.

Maybe I should cultivate a social dwarf and confine him to party duty or something
Almost any dwarf who is idle will become "social". What you want for a mayor is a dwarf with no awkward preferences, so either they won't be issuing mandates (preferably), or at least those they do issue will be easy to fulfill (maybe like barrels, doors or armour, something you'd produce anyway).  When they demand "catapult parts" and you're already running short on wood... yeah...

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Mandate#Mandates_.26_preferences

flarn2006

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 04:05:33 pm »

DFHack has a feature like this. Just install DFHack, use Q on the room, and it'll say "1: mayor" or something like that.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 05:49:04 pm »

Toady says he's going to add this. Seems like if it's not in the next release then it'll probably be during this arc.

We're not doing much with temples until later, but for this release devout dwarves will be able to pray in them (fulfilling their spiritual needs). You select a deity from your civ's list when you create the temple. We can probably use the same location system for groups of rooms attached to positions later on (so you don't have to reassign the mayor's rooms with every change), and anything else that needs multiple associated areas/etc. /

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 09:18:50 pm »

Almost any dwarf who is idle will become "social". What you want for a mayor is a dwarf with no awkward preferences, so either they won't be issuing mandates (preferably), or at least those they do issue will be easy to fulfill (maybe like barrels, doors or armour, something you'd produce anyway).  When they demand "catapult parts" and you're already running short on wood... yeah...

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Mandate#Mandates_.26_preferences

Keep in mind, nobles can also perform export bans.  If a noble bans the export of barrels when the caravans are already leaving with several barrels of prepared food, you'll regret thinking barrels are a great mandate preference.  (Doors are pretty safe, though, as you rarely want to trade those away...)

In general, I prefer to make one of my starting seven mayor, and that way I can control who gets picked.  Look at your dwarves at embark, and choose a mayor with preferences that you can at least import from the mountainhomes.  (Gems are generally the most annoying, so make sure you can import those, but some metals like bismuth or stones like orpiment might also be impossible to find on your embark.  Also, look at the wood preferences, and pay attention to whether you're embarking at a place where it will grow, and if not, whether you can trade with the mountainhomes for it.)

You want a mayor that has generally friendly personality traits and likes helping people and isn't vengeful, but isn't necessarily all that honest (you want flatterer and such to help keep dwarves happy). 

Give the chosen dwarf a few points of consoler and one point in a couple other social skills to make them the prime choice for expedition leader, and let them go on break slightly more than others.  (I make my mayor carpenter, because I usually use carpentry a lot, but there is often time for breaks.)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 09:20:36 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 06:20:22 am »

My mayor doesn't like rivals so when any dwarfs arrive with higher social skills than her she douses them in hot steamy magma.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 09:37:32 pm »

My mayor doesn't like rivals so when any dwarfs arrive with higher social skills than her she douses them in hot steamy magma.

Interesting.
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 11:13:16 am »

I usually just pick a perfect mayor myself, one with suitable personality traits and no item preferences. If dwarves happen to elect someone else I'll just putin my candidate back to the position. That's what the (r)eplace function is for, right?

The same applies when appointing a new baron; the dwarf with no item preferences gets the job. I don't much like mandates and demands and will usually ignore them if I ever get any. In .40.xx missing mandates is not even that big a deal anymore.

Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2015, 03:54:15 am »

That's what the (r)eplace function is for, right?

WUT!

How did I never think of this?
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2015, 06:17:19 am »

That's what the (r)eplace function is for, right?

WUT!

How did I never think of this?

You have to do it every year, which can be annoying.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2015, 06:34:33 am »

Hmmm... intriguiging... DFwiki says mandates can't be issued in flight... how can we exploit this?
One wheel short of a wagon

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2015, 07:35:17 am »

Minecart track?
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.
Pages: [1] 2