Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Rotating Nobles: Named rooms?  (Read 2289 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Rotating Nobles: Named rooms?
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2015, 01:33:39 pm »

I remember in 40d, I just set up a de facto danger room, and rendered my hammerer unconscious with a red wound that would keep him in a coma for years. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2015, 02:07:59 pm »

Nonlethal syndromes? Caravens often have venom barrels.

Also it disappoints me how this thread on rotating nobles does not mention a single centrifuge.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

davesoft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2015, 04:42:08 pm »

Hahaha, we need one of them minecart accelerator folk to get on the case!
I know the first collision knocks out the rider, but noone said the rotating noble needs to survive :D

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2015, 05:11:33 pm »

Hahaha, we need one of them minecart accelerator folk to get on the case!
I know the first collision knocks out the rider, but noone said the rotating noble needs to survive :D

The noble really should.  You get another noble who has more mandates if you kill them.  The objective is to render the noble incapable of issuing mandates altogether, which means putting the noble in some kind of stasis. 

Putting them in a tree where they can't get down, for example, would prevent mandates, although that might also include starvation.

If you can keep them perpetually in a coma, and being fed and watered by some sort of nurse dwarf, you keep them from ever issuing a mandate and still alive so that nobody sends a replacement.  Syndromes are a good place to start with this, although it needs to be very long-term or else set up with easy repeatability to really work properly.  (I guess dumping syndrome extract on a lever nobody else is allowed to path to so it can't be cleaned is an idea, although the problem is, the noble can issue mandates in the brief time between waking up and pulling the lever again, and if the timer is ready for a new mandate, they may well issue a mandate the instant they wake up.) 

Much simpler is using silk farms where the king is the target of a GCS, and leaving him nigh-permanently webbed.  Minecart loops involving lots of jumps could also work.  These have the problem of requiring you let the noble out to feed them once in a while, however.

That said, just finding a mayor who likes granite on a map with tons of granite so you don't have to worry about it is much easier than most of these options...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2015, 09:13:17 am »

Material preferences don't really matter anymore; the only consequence for refusing to carry out a demand is that the noble will get an unhappy thought. Item preferences are what cause mandates, the bane of artisans everywhere, but mercifully mandates never require any particular material.

For now, honestly, I'd say to just keep the mayor's suite all in one area, so when you notice the new mayor you can just assign the rooms quickly and be done. After all, the new mayor will be towards the top of the list.
Pages: 1 [2]