Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Splatoon: You're a kid, but you are also in fact a squid  (Read 9521 times)

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
Splatoon: You're a kid, but you are also in fact a squid
« on: June 03, 2015, 10:53:20 am »

Splatoon is out. I think it's really good, and I heavily recommend anyone who owns a Wii U to buy it.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 11:15:09 am by Redzephyr01 »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Splatoon: You're a Kid You're a Squid
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 10:59:53 am »

If I had a Wii U I would so buy this.
Alas, Nintendo neglected to name the console (the successor to the Wii) the 'Puu'. And so I must continue my ineffective one-man boycott. :'(
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Splatoon: You're a Kid You're a Squid
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 11:20:45 am »

While this game looks great (I've seen a few videos and Chip Cheezum did a 2 hour stream of it) it's not quite a system seller for me. I've also been hearing that it's more of a beta release and a lot of it feels unfinished (for example, you can't look at your team composition and say "huh we have all rollers maybe I should be something else". Instead, you don't get to see what all your teammates use until you spawn in, and even then you cannot change your weapons/loadout without leaving the game lobby. Plus, playing with friends is a bit terrible since you need to join public rooms and hope that you get your friends in the lobby before it fills up or they have to wait for the matches to end to get another chance.

Hopefully they decide to fix a few things and polish it up. Nintendo is still kinda behind the times when it comes to these sorts of multiplayer games.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Splatoon: You're a kid, but you are also in fact a squid
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 08:15:55 pm »

The game mechanics are great, it's much deeper and more competitive than I expected. But it's a bit bare so far, and for some damn reason there's no online multiplayer with a +1. So you can't play the actual game with a friend.

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 12:14:24 am »

I do not have a Wii U.

In fact, I am probably never going to get a Wii U.

Still, OP, I just want you to know, that thread title is a 10/10.

That is all.

Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Jarvis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 12:18:54 am »

Relevant:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 08:44:13 am »

Oh yeah, the voice chat thing. It'd be nice if you could at least voice chat between friends you have added. It's just one example of Nintendo not really being up to date with online multiplayer type stuff. That isn't to say they don't have good reasons for not having voice chat on by default though.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
It's FEF, not FEOF

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 03:05:55 pm »

While having the option is convenient, I'm not even remotely surprised, nor disappointed, that they didn't include voice chat. Voice chat in online shooters is infamously caustic, and this game is marketed to a pretty young audience. Even if you can't exchange FCs in games, it's easy enough to find them online, and next thing you know somebody's calling little Billy a fag on his nintendo, and parents aren't going to like that.

I mean I feel like it holds them back quite a bit, but I think Nintendo's highest priority with online is keeping it kid-friendly so their consoles are always a safe bet for families. My mind wanders to my otherwise mild mannered 11 year old cousin calling people fags and squeakers on his PS3, because that's exactly what people were calling him. His mom, not being particularly tech-savvy, had no idea that sort of thing even could happen, and he made a deal of hiding the fact so he could keep playing. Completely removing the option of voice chat altogether might be a bit of an extreme way to avoid that, but I get it.

I'm honestly pretty okay with a fairly casual multiplayer game not having voice chat. There are absolutely loads of games out there to play when I want to do some heavy teamwork, but sometimes I just don't want to talk to random jackasses online or be expected to coordinate with people. Not having voice chat in the first place removes implication that you are playing wrong if you don't use it, which I'm okay with for the occasional game.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

varsovie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2015, 11:00:58 am »

Is it a prequel to octodad?  :P

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2015, 12:43:05 pm »

« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 11:08:48 am by penguinofhonor »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2015, 01:11:32 pm »

I find in general, the less communication an online game allows between strangers, the better it is.

A bullet to the face is the only kind of communication I need.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2015, 08:28:47 pm »

« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 11:08:55 am by penguinofhonor »

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2015, 08:37:57 pm »

I would like to ask a philosophical question to the collective uncounscious of this intriguing message board.
Can you be MLG on a Nintendo game?

Sweet dreams.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.
Pages: [1] 2