Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 432 433 [434] 435 436 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 832300 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: It Just Works
« Reply #6495 on: December 05, 2016, 05:33:32 pm »

in vanilla you cannot make ammo or non-healing/food items so there's a purpose for these tools despite them being kind of terrible.

But then again who plays Bethesda RPGs without mods?  :P
Yeah, that's basically all they're practically useful for.

It's kinda neat to have something other than a workbench to make stuff with in your lair though.

For example, my setup on the fourth floor of that concrete building has all my displays and workbenches and stuff, but also an ammo press and a food production thing as well. So while I don't consider it a "factory" per se... it's a way to make those things in a cute way.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6496 on: December 05, 2016, 10:42:54 pm »

I don't want to be annoying or sound like a spambot, but I found the latest Fallout 4 Robbaz video to be greatly amusing.
The other ones in the series are really fun, and some are great..but building a bridge and so many conveyors, just to process..food...is seriously..amusing.

Note that I watched this video while having lunch. It's probably the 5th+ Robbaz video that makes me feel a bit weird to watch when eating.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6497 on: December 05, 2016, 11:14:27 pm »

I don't want to be annoying or sound like a spambot, but I found the latest Fallout 4 Robbaz video to be greatly amusing.
The other ones in the series are really fun, and some are great..but building a bridge and so many conveyors, just to process..food...is seriously..amusing.

Note that I watched this video while having lunch. It's probably the 5th+ Robbaz video that makes me feel a bit weird to watch when eating.

Just wait til the great Clone Exodus. I was laughing my ass off. I love Robbaz, and I'm not the kind of guy who watches virtually any youtubers.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6498 on: December 05, 2016, 11:38:06 pm »

Just wait til the great Clone Exodus.

Wow man. That video.. He makes all his videos seem quick and easy, but I bet walking all those NPCs through the map probably took hours to record properly.
Again, don't want to sound fanboyish or hijack the thread, but when I watch his videos (especially From The Depths, The Sims 3 and Kerbal Space Program) I think "That's what we, gamers, were born for. To make insane, stupid, ingenious and hilarious shit happen."
And I mean stupid in the genius way. Smartphones and the internet probably sounded stupid until they actually happened.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6499 on: December 05, 2016, 11:43:29 pm »

Robbaz makes me feel like I do not stop and smell the roses, and then build shit out of those roses, often enough in games. I play games in a workmanlike, idealist way. I roleplay in a conservative, gamey way. Robbaz turns all the nobs to 11 then seems to latch on to absurd and run with it in a way I don't. Which is why I get into his videos. The clone video, I was just like "Huh, imagine it, a whole clone army of superficially individual Roberts popping out of the cloning vats and having a gun shoved in their hands and told to march in their underwear across the Wasteland." Robbaz alludes to that then stops because it's kind of too horrifying to imagine. Where I him I would have named them as such. (Feminist Robert, Hipster Robert, Slacker Robert, etc...) In truth, he should be terrified. Once the Roberts attain full bulk apperception, they'll be coming after him!

Like Robbaz says, it's gen-ie-us.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 11:54:44 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6500 on: December 05, 2016, 11:56:46 pm »

Hahaha, yep. You described what I feel really spot-on.
It kinda rescues how most people used to play games as a kid, I think. Always going for the absurd and smelling the roses - since that's all you really know how to do. Once you get older, most of the time you start getting used to patterns and focusing on getting what you want out of games (and experiences) instead of letting the experience provide you anything.

Which is why I think playing games with friends is always a different experience than playing alone. For instance, if I play modded Minecraft by myself I end up playing it completely focusing on the things that I want to do (which is usually automation and machines), meanwhile when I play with friends I usually discover details I never noticed when playing singleplayer. It kinda resets me to the natural way of playing around with things.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #6501 on: December 06, 2016, 02:59:10 am »

Another thing useful that the manufactories can do is make heavy armor. This might not seem like a big deal until you play with a mod that lets you take perks at any level. I got my first heavy metal piece at level TWELVE.

Oh, and while I don't have a weapon factory yet, I remember looking through stuff on the wiki and thinking the Flamer was HILARIOUSLY cost efficient to build, and probably worth a massive amount of caps compared to what it costs to build.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 03:04:19 am by BFEL »
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6502 on: December 06, 2016, 08:21:29 am »

Robbaz is one of my favorite youtubers because of the insane shit.

Though the meat factory seriously, is the most fucked up thing he's done. It's hilarious though. Makes me wonder if he's gonna pull a 'The End of The Cube' on the series once it's over :P

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6503 on: December 06, 2016, 08:48:11 am »

The constant, endless, even showing up in new games and old saves raditation sound made me stop playing about 9 months ago.
I reinstalled today, it's still not fixed and "new" work arounds (gammar gun, console cmds) don't fix it. FML

Anyone got the same issue?

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6504 on: December 06, 2016, 09:28:38 am »

Are you sure you aren't a Glowing One?

Anyways, on a more serious note, I have no clue. Maybe go file a bug report.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6505 on: December 06, 2016, 12:46:30 pm »

I archived my old save and started with a fresh install, plus all DLCs. I'm thinking adding a few mods, but nothing that changes gameplay hugely or changes settlement building a lot (at least until I have tried all the new DLC town stuff). Right now I only have the one that names armor and weapons nicely according to the modifications they have. Maybe I'll add one to rename settlers, I dunno.

Anyway this time I'm playing as Butch, who is going to specialize in melee weapon and non-auto pistols. Probably not gonna focus much on Leader stuff yet, I need 3 points on Charisma just to get there.

Also everything kills me faster this time. I read somewhere that Very Hard is what used to be Survival hard before they changed Survival into masochist mode.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 12:50:50 pm by Sergius »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6506 on: December 06, 2016, 01:44:28 pm »

I archived my old save and started with a fresh install, plus all DLCs. I'm thinking adding a few mods, but nothing that changes gameplay hugely or changes settlement building a lot (at least until I have tried all the new DLC town stuff). Right now I only have the one that names armor and weapons nicely according to the modifications they have. Maybe I'll add one to rename settlers, I dunno.

Anyway this time I'm playing as Butch, who is going to specialize in melee weapon and non-auto pistols. Probably not gonna focus much on Leader stuff yet, I need 3 points on Charisma just to get there.

Also everything kills me faster this time. I read somewhere that Very Hard is what used to be Survival hard before they changed Survival into masochist mode.
All the Bethesda difficulty levels just make enemies more bullet spongy and do more damage.

Survival is different in that it actually makes enemies significantly easier to kill (we're talking basically everyone dies in one or two hits generally). But you also die very easily.

The difficulty of survival is more to the point in that you have to worry about food, water, rest, disease, injuries, no instant heals, and the inability to save. Also no fast travel.

What I did was reduce the timescale to 6 instead of 20, so you're not endlessly blasted with requests for food / water / rest. Then after two CTDs where I lost 3 hours of gametime each, I modded in a way to quicksave on the fly. I use it sparingly, since it kinda defeats the point of the mode. So like, after I clear a cell or something.

I do like survival though, as it feels a lot more intimidating due to how easily you can get wrecked. I've taken to going everywhere in power armour just so I don't die in 2 shots. Also enemies with rocket launchers and fat men are super duper scary.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6507 on: December 06, 2016, 02:18:47 pm »

I've been putting off survival mode simply because I liked NV's simple integration of the system with the default difficulty but I might try a survival mode next game. But I like my fast travel and I wonder if armor is worth anything then? I mean, I would imagine a strip of leather over the chest is the difference between dying in one hit or two and, if so, should combat armor be fairly solid protection of around 5 bullets? Basically, I like tricking out my armor and want to know if its worth it with the new damage values.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6508 on: December 06, 2016, 02:37:13 pm »

Armor becomes essential with the new damage values as it is very often the difference between a sudden unexpected death and a fighting chance. You have to really mind your weight as well because the carry weight has been lowered so much.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6509 on: December 06, 2016, 02:44:16 pm »

Armor becomes essential with the new damage values as it is very often the difference between a sudden unexpected death and a fighting chance. You have to really mind your weight as well because the carry weight has been lowered so much.

Cool, thanks for the heads up. Yeah, im not worried about fast travel, there's mods for that, but I don't want to have pimpin' maxed Combat Armor and still get rekt by a pipe pistol in 2 shots.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.
Pages: 1 ... 432 433 [434] 435 436 ... 462