Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 417 418 [419] 420 421 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 831823 times)

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: It Just Works
« Reply #6270 on: September 06, 2016, 03:36:39 pm »

Morrowind does have lots of things going for it though. And there are Morrowind-in-Oblivion/Skyrim mods while afaik there are no Daggerfall/Arena-in-Oblivion/Skyrim mods.

Well the reason for that is pretty obvious. 90% of those games (more for Arena) was procedurally generated, which is why the game maps are ridiculously huge. Can't really do that within the context of Beth's version of Gamebryo.

Yes, that too. There's a lot of Daggerite buzz about how Daggerfall is roughly the size of Great Britain, which sounds impressive until you have to bungle around in it. Hell, the Commonwealth feels like a decent size place these days now that I can't fast travel.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I loved Daggerfall when I was younger, but I tried to play it recently and it just did not hold up. People talk about how big it is, but nobody in their right mind would try to walk between two cities because it's just proc gen garbage all the way through, and the game will probably crash before you get somewhere.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6271 on: September 06, 2016, 03:50:38 pm »

True, true. Not a big fan of proc gen, not in that kind of game at least. I prefer it when things are hand placed. Even better when they are refered to in notes or by characters, which happens too scarcely in Beth games, but still.

Related to all that, when Fallout 3 was relatively new, I remember seeing some long rant on how the charred wooden ruins in Springvale could never ever possibly last as long as 200 years, and how unrealistic and lazy it was, and how it didn't make any sense.
That is, as opposed to the equivolent in classic Fallout, where all the houses where identical, had weird exterial walls and had all been shaved off at exactly the same height, et cetera, et cetera. Hell, the Temple of Trials is a chapter for itself, that thing.
But it wasn't really about the unrealistic decay of wooden house frames or superior and inferior sense-making, of course. It was just someone venting some steam, because they felt disappointed at the direction the franchise had gone, and that their game wasn't theirs anymore, so to speak. With the added effect of tons and tons of nostalgia for the old times on top of it. And honestly, it's pretty understandable. I think that feeling happens to us all at some point or another.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6272 on: September 06, 2016, 04:36:37 pm »

As far as I remember, Bethesda researched into what would have lasted 200 years, and found pretty much nothing would have at all.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6273 on: September 06, 2016, 04:44:22 pm »

Yeah, a ruined city full of monsters is a more stimulating destination to explore than a pit of dirt and glass. Come to think of it, thumbs up to F4 for bringing both along.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6274 on: September 06, 2016, 04:52:34 pm »

To be honest the only thing I really liked about FO3 was the Capital Wasteland-minus the bullshit metro stuff, because oh my god it sent me into wild fury-But the writing and plot just sucked so hard.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6275 on: September 06, 2016, 06:04:59 pm »

The metro didn't bother me that much. Samey stations and too little decor, but I liked the sneaky tunnel rat feeling.

I do think the plot suffered a lot more than it gained from the desperate attempts to stitch on earlier entities of the series, like the BoS and the Enclave. I thought it was passable, but I was very much in the right mindset at the time. I replayed it a year or so ago, and all the flaws became ridiculously glaring. Liked it a lot at the time, kind of like it now but I won't go through the trouble to install it again.

But credit where it's due, one problem I had with F3 was that putting on power armour was just dressing up in a jingling shirt. The F4 power armour is far, far better.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6276 on: September 06, 2016, 06:14:14 pm »

Ehh, at least wearing daejone's COL Hellfire felt like actually suiting up, having to mod the game to the nth degree to make it playable sucked tho'.  I'd actually like to see a lot more PA mods up on the Nexus, 'cause I ain't usin' Bethesda's services.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6277 on: September 07, 2016, 06:18:33 pm »

Speaking of fallout 4 mods, did they ever release the GECK? Is it still on the table? Or is it still like the prediction? Once they are done selling DLC they will release it?
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6278 on: September 07, 2016, 06:32:53 pm »

Speaking of fallout 4 mods, did they ever release the GECK? Is it still on the table? Or is it still like the prediction? Once they are done selling DLC they will release it?

released just over 4 months ago

source: googled "fallout 4 geck"

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6279 on: September 12, 2016, 05:46:54 am »

I mean, at least it was a similar form of "ridiculously heavy armor that is effectively discount Godmode against low-level enemies". Especially with the Winterized T-30-who cares armor from Operation Anchorage.
Black lives matter.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6280 on: September 12, 2016, 02:10:35 pm »

Not gonna lie, if someone remade New Vegas and the only new thing was that it used FO4's power armor, I'd pay a good $70 dollars on that.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6281 on: September 12, 2016, 02:26:21 pm »

Not gonna lie, if someone remade New Vegas and the only new thing was that it used FO4's power armor, I'd pay a good $70 dollars on that.

Not gonna lie...

I really hope they retire FO4's power armor after one game. It was a gameplay tumor...

And I don't see how it could be fixed outside maybe... I dunno
1) Make it available WAAAY later
2) Eliminate the cores (there is a reason for this! and not what you are thinking of. If they got rid of the cores then you wouldn't NEED to balance everything for in and out of suit)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 02:28:08 pm by Neonivek »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6282 on: September 12, 2016, 02:27:35 pm »

I thought it was great personally. I enjoyed stomping around in it and collecting new parts for it.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6283 on: September 12, 2016, 02:30:45 pm »

...Nnnooo, I don't see how eliminating the thing that makes them actually limited could 'fix it'. I also don't think it needed fixing. At all.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6284 on: September 12, 2016, 02:34:34 pm »

Only way I see a remaster of NV going is horribly. People will bitch at bethesda if they touch anything, people will bitch when they don't include the DLC right off the bat, people will bitch when they do sell the DLC.

Bethesda can't win when they mess with fallout IMO :v

That said, I am still hoping I get fallout 4 eventually. Especially since Nuka World's finally out. Maybe there'll be ultimate editions or whatever soon. Would let me save money :v
Pages: 1 ... 417 418 [419] 420 421 ... 462