Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 407 408 [409] 410 411 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 831485 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: It Just Works
« Reply #6120 on: May 21, 2016, 09:29:02 am »

Oh lord, the hilarity of the police station logs.
Just saw the one about "Nicole Connelly" who is suspected of grand theft auto because the registration was for "Nicole Connell"
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6121 on: May 21, 2016, 06:09:47 pm »

I've heard Far Harbour is great, then. Also one of its songs has a nod to the New Vegas theme. Very subtle, but it gave me chills.
I've just started it. It adds a second area to the game that's around 1/4 (!) the size of the normal play area, from what I can tell so far. It also seems to add some new weapons, like a harpoon gun.

I'm half-tempted to see if I can run through the new DLC using only the items that I find in it (the Overseer's Guardian and my Two-Shot Plasma Rilfe appear to be absolutely wrecking the foes that I've encountered so far). Should I?

Also, interesting tidbit: the second shot granted by the Two-Shot ability has the base damage given by an unupgraded version of the gun that you're using. Normally, this is a negative thing, but if you have a Two-Shot machine gun whose base form is a bolt-action rifle or something...
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6122 on: May 21, 2016, 10:02:49 pm »

Just took my first shot at Far Harbour and the new Survival mode, wound up playing for about 7 hours straight.

The new Survival mode is good, few kinks I'm not fond of but generally liking it. Eating and drinking is way too frequent for my tastes, really like what they've done with the need to sleep, the rest is basically fine. Limited/no fast travel is forcing me to walk more, which means I'm seeing more stuff, soaking in the atmosphere and generally enjoying myself despite the long trudging walks. Ammo having weight is annoying, if only because i favour some heavy guns with heavy ammo to match, but power armour is providing. Simply adore the higher lethality for me and NPCs, being able to kill super mutants in just a few seconds with a gatling laser is great, and my power armour keeps me pretty tanky. Makes me feel more like a badass and makes the challenging enemies feel more challenging rather than grindy.

Far Harbour I've not seen much of yet. Only gone a little way into the main quest, mostly done some side missions and mucked about with the harpoon gun, which I love. I love the atmosphere and design of the DLC, the fog, the trees and general dark and mysterious feel to the place. The new enemies are interesting enough to fight, if nothing special. I do like the variety of aquatic themed enemies though. I've felt that the new mirelurks were among the best redesigns of FO4 and I'm glad to see more enemies with a similar aesthetic. New favorite quest is part of the DLC, it's just way too fun, I was smiling all the way through it and left wishing for more missions like it. It's a lot like the Silver Shroud questline, but sadly far shorter. Not going to say anymore about it because I think people who aren't familiar with it should find it for themselves.

I've yet to find any of Far Harbour's power armour things yet, which is annoying me a bit. My suit needs new bling.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #6123 on: May 22, 2016, 03:13:23 pm »

I've yet to find any of Far Harbour's power armour things yet, which is annoying me a bit. My suit needs new bling.
Reminds me of another mod I want to see. MOAR POWER ARMOR!
Seriously there's like 6 suits in the base game, and 4 of those are just variations on the same concept.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6124 on: May 22, 2016, 04:48:14 pm »

Reminds me of another mod I want to see. MOAR POWER ARMOR!
Seriously there's like 6 suits in the base game, and 4 of those are just variations on the same concept.

There's 5 in the base game, Raider, the three T series and the X-01. Which makes sense really, the only faction that made power armour pre-war was the US army, Raider is just scrap metal welded on and X-01 was made by the Enclave. There's not really a whole lot of other people who'd make variants of it.

I am annoyed that the Institute doesn't have a version of it's own though. With all their tech you'd think they'd rig up something for their personnel when they need to take a trip topside.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6125 on: May 22, 2016, 05:05:38 pm »

There are currently 3 new power armor mods on the nexus (that I know of), TumbaJumba's Combat Power Armor, the X-02 Enclave armor, and the construction power armor (also packaged with Wasteland Scavvers).  There's also several new upgrades for the Raider PA in Raider Overhaul.

Edit: Actually there is one more, but it's a replacer and I wouldn't recommend it right now, if it goes standalone it might be okay for people with an anime bent.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 05:08:36 pm by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6126 on: May 22, 2016, 06:29:35 pm »

I am annoyed that the Institute doesn't have a version of it's own though. With all their tech you'd think they'd rig up something for their personnel when they need to take a trip topside.
That's what the Synths are for. Personnel don't go topside.
Black lives matter.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6127 on: May 22, 2016, 06:37:36 pm »

That's what the Synths are for. Personnel don't go topside.

Apart from the one who met Kellog before he was their surface goon, and those guys who went to recruit whats-his-face to help them on their reactor.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6128 on: May 22, 2016, 06:49:06 pm »

I'm not sure who Whats-His-Face is, but I do know they recruited Kellogg a long time before the game; [at least 50 years happened between Shaun's kidnapping and the game,] plus however long before then he was recruited, because he was just a kid when the NCR was doing that thing and the NCR did the thing a while ago, as I've heard.
It's very easy for the Institute to have changed policies since then. Definitely so, if they'd tried to go topside and then gotten shut down because nobody trusted them and they didn't trust anyone back.
Black lives matter.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6129 on: May 22, 2016, 07:39:56 pm »

I'm not sure who Whats-His-Face is, but I do know they recruited Kellogg a long time before the game; [at least 50 years happened between Shaun's kidnapping and the game,] plus however long before then he was recruited, because he was just a kid when the NCR was doing that thing and the NCR did the thing a while ago, as I've heard.
It's very easy for the Institute to have changed policies since then. Definitely so, if they'd tried to go topside and then gotten shut down because nobody trusted them and they didn't trust anyone back.

Whats-His-Face is some scientist from the Commonwealth they try to recruit as part of the Institute questline, I can't remember his name for the life of me, but they send 2 or 3 scientists and some gen 1/2 synths to extend their invitation to him, he thinks it's a kidnapping attempt and calls the Minutemen, standoff ensues, PC shows up to deal with the situation. That guy.

I got the general impression that pre-hiring Kellogg they always used Institute personnel to handle important tasks topside because they had no else to rely on and gen 1/2 synths aren't precision instruments, then when they put Kellogg on retainer that stopped being necessary except on very important missions like kidnapping Shaun. They do send personnel (one of them anyway) to the surface in the mission where you get the reactor component for them, so they clearly appreciate the need for a close hand on some matters.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6130 on: May 22, 2016, 07:46:30 pm »

Ah, alright. I haven't done the Institute questline at all so I didn't know they sent anyone else up.
Black lives matter.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6131 on: May 23, 2016, 12:33:56 am »

I like the construction armour, but it really looks too much like armour, I was expecting it to be more, forklifty.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6132 on: May 23, 2016, 01:07:00 am »

I'm not gonna lie, if I could have another DLC made for Fallout 4 I think it'd be some sort of interaction with the NCR. Always liked them as a faction, and not only because of their fantastic fashion style.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6133 on: May 23, 2016, 01:34:05 am »

I like the construction armour, but it really looks too much like armour, I was expecting it to be more, forklifty.

It's pretty much a kitbash of automatron resources, so it does end up looking very military instead of looking like a power-loader.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6134 on: May 23, 2016, 04:43:27 am »

[kicks over NCR flag] wild card for life
Black lives matter.
Pages: 1 ... 407 408 [409] 410 411 ... 462