Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 389 390 [391] 392 393 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 830665 times)

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: It Just Works
« Reply #5850 on: April 17, 2016, 03:21:52 am »

Also it's really for the best to just take the Eastern BoS as an entirely separate entity to the Western BoS with whom they share nothing but some of the nomenclature.

It's for the best, I find.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #5851 on: April 17, 2016, 03:40:23 am »

You know, I wasn't really interested in FO4, wasn't even paying much attention to it. It seemed nice all right but by seeing some LPs of it it felt too much like FO3 with building/crafting and more interesting power armour to get me exited. I thought I'd buy it some years later when GOTY goes for 5€ or something. But seeing this
That I think is my biggest issue with Fallout 4, is there is no consequences at all, nothing you do actually matters that much.
And I thought FO3 was terrible?
And bethesda really makes it so you don't make any mistake at all, and gives you huge pop up warnings before hand.
Nope, don't like it.

In other words, it's Borderlands.  Like I predicted as soon as they removed the skill system.
Wait what

Except the BoS is almost unrecognizable.
The other factions are basically new.
As are the feral ghouls, basically zombies which are suddenly everywhere
Pipe weapons all of a sudden, and energy muskets, and even the classic guns are almost unrecognizable
double wat

But not only did they not reference on the events of New Vegas whatsoever that I saw, but they barely reference Fallout 3.  I guess because "nobody" liked FO3, supposedly, but dangit they made it and it took place nearby.  And what do we get?  A Brotherhood that apparently made up with the Outcasts for some reason, and some magazines called the Wasteland Survival Guide.  Which don't look like the freakin Wasteland Survival Guide.
do I hate that oh man

All that, and then they give us a choice of two predefined voiced characters with predefined backgrounds...  Removed the karma and faction systems...  And stripped the RPG mechanics to the absolute bare bone.
holy shit waaat

what the hell happened
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5852 on: April 17, 2016, 03:41:23 am »

bethesda came back, made a good game but a bad fallout game (is what some say; i think it's an alright fallout game)
Black lives matter.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5853 on: April 17, 2016, 03:43:54 am »

I have a terrible itch to patrol the Mojave now, nuclear winter or not.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5854 on: April 17, 2016, 03:45:37 am »

I'VE GOT SPUUURS THAT JINGLE JANGLE JINGLE (jingle jangle)
Black lives matter.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5855 on: April 17, 2016, 03:47:01 am »

YES

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Black lives matter.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5858 on: April 17, 2016, 09:22:02 am »

bethesda came back, made a good game but a bad fallout game (is what some say; i think it's an alright fallout game)
Yeah now that I have that rant out of me I'd like to reiterate that it's a pretty good game.  I love games that are like it.  It just didn't feel like Fallout to me (and other people, like you say).

I'm glad people like it though, and it could have been a lot worse.  I'm glad they added a bunch of good mechanics like the power armor.  It's just so different, in style and mechanics, and barely connects with the other games plot-wise.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5859 on: April 17, 2016, 10:51:18 am »

I rather like the fact that they turned the retro-futuristic 50s aesthetic to 11. Helps set Fallout apart from other postapocalyptic IPs.

All that, and then they give us a choice of two predefined voiced characters with predefined backgrounds...  Removed the karma and faction systems...  And stripped the RPG mechanics to the absolute bare bone.
holy shit waaat

what the hell happened
Actually, the bit about "predefined characters with predefined backgrounds" is massively exaggerated. The character's "backgrounds" only really come into play in the start and even then it's extremely bare-bones (You're a war veteran/lawyer and have a child with this guy/gal, SUDDENLY NUKES).
It's not like you're suddenly Geralt of Rivia and how he's a well-established character in his gameworld. Hell, even Commander Shepard somehow feels more pre-established than the protagonist(s) of FO4.
The game feels really schizophrenic when it tries to start off with a "you're this guy/gal and this is your background" and then never really takes it into account, ever.

The bit about the RPG mechanics being bare-boned? That bit is true, tho.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5860 on: April 17, 2016, 11:17:46 am »

Yeah I did exaggerate there.  I don't know about Nate, but my character never really brought up being a lawyer outside the prologue.  Ironically I choice high charisma and intelligence, so for the longest time I thought she was a lawyer because of my choices.  But yeah.

I actually really liked the main quest, and maybe having the protagonist voiced added some emotional impact.  It just felt like a good story I was watching, and sometimes choosing between "angry" and "sad" in the cutscenes.  And the speech wheel is less predictable than in Mass Effect...  Too vague, actually ruined a couple of tender companion moments when I tried to make a lighthearted joke and jeered them instead.  Based on a nebulous prompt like "Tapes" or "Duty".  I could get that mod that shows the actual choices though.

Oh, Alpha Protocol is another game I absolutely loved and was a lot like this!  Except that's honest about you playing a developer-crafted character, whereas this is supposed to be a Bethesda RPG.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5861 on: April 17, 2016, 11:32:03 am »

The main quest had its ups and downs. I had hoped it'd delve deeper into Blade Runner territory but oh well. Can't say I liked the sidequests too much, tho. Too many "go there and kill everything" quests.

I really, really, really love the visuals. It's not the prettiest game out there but I just really enjoy its visual style, especially how they amped the 50s retrofuturistic aesthetic and the fact that it is a post-apocalyptic world that still looks vibrant and bright.

I also felt the world was somewhat better designed than in Fallout 3. There's still an overabundance of raiders, but what I really liked was how if you sneak up on them you can occassionally hear them have conversations or talk about what they did which I feel is a really nice touch.

Overall, Fallout 4 is a game that I really enjoyed and would recommend to people, though with some significant caveats (especially to fans of the old Fallout games). The dialogue system is really unneccessarily limiting, the RPG mechanics are stripped down and the settlements system is not as well fleshed out as it might be, but overall I quite enjoyed it.

Though seriously I'd murder someone to get Obsidian to make a game based on its engine.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5862 on: April 17, 2016, 12:06:31 pm »

The problem with the quests was mainly that they relied too heavily on the radiant quests when the radiant quest system is shit and they don't even have enough locations to make "go here kill this" interesting past the second or third time, since you've already visited everything.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5863 on: April 17, 2016, 02:23:58 pm »

Yeah, even though I've been ranting about Fallout 4.

It IS a good game, it is a lot of fun.

However, if it was called an FPS (not an RPG, or at least an FPS-RPG hybrid sorta like Borderlands (it has some RPG mechanics sorta) and NOT called Fallout...I wouldn't even complain and wouldn't think anything of it lol.

Its pretty much Borderlands in a Fallout skin, with a heavy dose of Mass Effect.

However, I LOVE the art style. Its probably one of my favorite things about the game. The graphics are plenty good enough to me. The FPS mechanics are great, and I love the power armor. There is a lot of good in Fallout 4...just too bad its called Fallout 4 :P
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5864 on: April 17, 2016, 02:58:13 pm »

Lol, no, calling it an FPS is just as valid as calling it an RPG, for pretty much the same reasons: the mechanics are vaguely there, but they aren't fleshed out or particularly strong.

In particular the boost to VATS where the right build is basically FO3's VATS "I Win" button without the flaws. That's not an FPS, that's a hybrid-system tactics RPG.

Or from a different perspective it's both an FPS and an RPG, and the people claiming it isn't are being anal about their definitions because it doesn't fit their preconceptions. Mostly because the skills were folded into a larger, more sensible feat system.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 389 390 [391] 392 393 ... 462