Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 367 368 [369] 370 371 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 829909 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: It Just Works
« Reply #5520 on: March 05, 2016, 11:17:51 pm »

My brother's character, shit, I cannot even compare to this majesty:
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/498017185281684601/899AEC6C66D18B42DC6DDBC5436A3599A2A9433B/

My character, which I haven't played in a while, takes a breather in respect of such ruggedness:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=580230511

Seriously, my brother STILL FUCKING HASN'T VISITED THE GODSDAMN INSTITUTE
HE PLAYS A LOT
I keep begging him to do the main storyline but no

THIS ISN'T OBLIVION, FUCK
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5521 on: March 05, 2016, 11:24:57 pm »

Seriously, my brother STILL FUCKING HASN'T VISITED THE GODSDAMN INSTITUTE
HE PLAYS A LOT
I keep begging him to do the main storyline but no

THIS ISN'T OBLIVION, FUCK
I haven't either. I'm level 88. I only just finished with the glowing sea,

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5522 on: March 05, 2016, 11:28:19 pm »

I really don't understand.
In oblivion, sure, the main quest was meh.  In FO3, I guess it was meh (but you need to find your father!)
In FO4?
I don't even have any kids and I felt the pull.
I mean, is forming settlements really worth ANYTHING?  Modded Minecraft is 10x better, shit.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #5523 on: March 05, 2016, 11:32:20 pm »

In FO4?

In comparison, I felt kinda annoyed that I get a pretty much completely defined character and it made me prefer wandering around and just doing whatever.

Your brother probally feels the same way, the main quest in fallout 3 was honestly done better. And that one was terrible.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5524 on: March 06, 2016, 12:11:12 am »

I mean, is forming settlements really worth ANYTHING?  Modded Minecraft is 10x better, shit.

In the base game, settlements are really only for artillery (if you can get the enemies into the beaten zone) and cap farming.

With mods tho, it becomes a necessary component of making a new faction come alive, as each settlement united with the Minutemen begin spawning patrols (also includes purchase-able guards for settlements and hire-able followers too) between the settlements and allows the player to summon a full fire-team of leveled allies for those hard encounters, with the included reasons above still valid.

Seriously, why dafuq didn't Beth make the Minutemen perform this way in the first place, I don't know. The Brotherhood gets its own patrols and a fun-ish fast travel option. The Institute has a few dungeons it owns. The Railroad kinda makes sense why it don't have much. The Raider gangs spawn in checkpoints and you'll occasionally get them raiding settlements (same with the upgraded version of raiders: the Gunners). Each Faction has its own thing, but the Minutemen pretty much consist of the player and Preston. Now you'll occasionally run into them clearing areas along the roads like the Brotherhood and actually feel like a damn faction.

Mod in question: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/6443/?
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5525 on: March 06, 2016, 12:15:18 am »

@Gunner-Chan
Yeah.
Well I mean, I rank FO3 and NV about the same.  But yes, FO3 defined your character concept and gave you a family member to chase.
NV...  Gave you you a job, and a nemesis to chase.

It's not all that different, but NV was looser sure.
The bigger element is that NV did a better job at making a believable, and CONFLICTED world.  Two sides, good and evil, sure...  But also anarchic side-options, forces of chaos biting at the heels.  And you could make New Vegas a free state if you so chose, thanks to Benny being a fucking stupid fuckable sexy idiot.

In FO3 with the water choice it was more "Do the stupid evil thing or do the obvious nice thing?".  New Vegas gave actual choices.
Yet FO3 was more of a RPG, with better RPG mechanics.

Nothing's perfect.

In the base game, settlements are really only for artillery (if you can get the enemies into the beaten zone) and cap farming.
[But mods]
That's the damn problem, isn't it.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 12:17:25 am by Rolan7 »
She/they

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5526 on: March 06, 2016, 12:18:24 am »

[But mods]
That's the damn problem, isn't it.

With Beth-made games always, my bruddah, always.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5527 on: March 06, 2016, 01:36:45 am »

While we're sharing our characters:

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5528 on: March 06, 2016, 02:06:15 am »

I really don't understand.
In oblivion, sure, the main quest was meh.  In FO3, I guess it was meh (but you need to find your father!)
In FO4?
Is it so strange?

I mean, some arseholes on this thread spoiled the entire thing without using spoiler tags and I caught a glimpse of it back then so I don't give a shit anymore.

Not to mention some of the side missions are pretty cool. Valentine's shit while exceptionally tedious was super fun and I'm stoked that the DLC is more of him. I really liked the mad scientist thing with the asylum. The only reason I'm even bothering to move forward with the main quest is that I have to do it to progress the game's world state so I can do more of the side missions.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5529 on: March 06, 2016, 02:57:32 am »

oblivion's main quest was like the fourth best part of the (vanilla) game, though two of the top 3 are DLC

...I guess the villain is the specific part I like. All of Mankar Camoran's dialogue is raw, first-draft Michael Kirkbride writing set to Terence Stamp's voice. There's a sort of accidental batshit quality to it that can't be replicated elsewhere. I mean, except maybe in, uh, other Bethesda writing, but really Bethesda's writing in general has a problem with being uninspired as opposed to rough and full of mistakes and weird like Camoran's is (I think he gets every single plane of Oblivion he mentions) wrong, isn't that amazing?).

FO3's main plot was bad. It was like they tried to hit all the stuff Fallout and Fallout 2 did but completely misunderstood that stories are made of events rather than things (which, now that I think of it, is Bethesda's style of worldbuilding nowadays anyway, huh, things instead of events) and also added your dad who knows you better than you do to try to make up for it.

FO4's plot feels like they tried to go New Vegas but still didn't get the memo about things. I'm also not sure if they realize that competent villains are cooler than incompetent ones. Actually, now that I think of it, that's always a problem with Bethesda. Dagoth Ur yells at you impotently as you whack away at the Heart, Mankar Camoran and his sister-daughter (he who enters paradise enters his own mother, AE ALMA RUMA) fight like slightly above average enemy mages, Jygallag is actually mildly interesting of a fight, since there's something of a puzzle element to it with the crystals, but he's still just a big humanoid, Umaril is definitely a big humanoid, Fallout 3's final encounter is against an ordinary human being with little armor and nothing special to him whatsoever, Skyrim's final boss is a slightly more threatening than usual dragon and Dragonborn's final boss is basically a slightly more threatening than usual dragon priest. Goddamn. Fallout's final boss is The Master and Fallout 2's is a beefed up (!!)) super mutant in power armor.

I only listed what I've actually played enough to be familiar with, there.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5530 on: March 06, 2016, 06:58:31 am »

With mods tho, it becomes a necessary component of making a new faction come alive, as each settlement united with the Minutemen begin spawning patrols (also includes purchase-able guards for settlements and hire-able followers too) between the settlements and allows the player to summon a full fire-team of leveled allies for those hard encounters, with the included reasons above still valid.

Seriously, why dafuq didn't Beth make the Minutemen perform this way in the first place, I don't know. The Brotherhood gets its own patrols and a fun-ish fast travel option. The Institute has a few dungeons it owns. The Railroad kinda makes sense why it don't have much. The Raider gangs spawn in checkpoints and you'll occasionally get them raiding settlements (same with the upgraded version of raiders: the Gunners). Each Faction has its own thing, but the Minutemen pretty much consist of the player and Preston. Now you'll occasionally run into them clearing areas along the roads like the Brotherhood and actually feel like a damn faction.

There are Minutemen patrols in the vanilla content. I've run in to them every so often as I fast travel to different settlements.
Love, scriver~

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5531 on: March 06, 2016, 08:40:53 am »

I don't really like boss fights. I also think F4 plot structure is an improvement over Vegas. In Vegas branches got cut off very early so I didn't really get a good chance to get familiar with factions. In F4 they run concurrently.

I got so uneasy about faction choice by now, I dropped game altogether, but that's not the point.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5532 on: March 06, 2016, 01:38:34 pm »

I don't really like boss fights. I also think F4 plot structure is an improvement over Vegas. In Vegas branches got cut off very early so I didn't really get a good chance to get familiar with factions. In F4 they run concurrently.

I got so uneasy about faction choice by now, I dropped game altogether, but that's not the point.
Personally I feel the fact that you can run with whichever faction you want really feels weird and too gamey at certain times.

For example, the Railroad seem very eager to accept a distinguished BoS veteran in their midst, in spite of their strong opposition to the Brotherhood's views.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5533 on: March 06, 2016, 10:28:28 pm »

Personally I feel the fact that you can run with whichever faction you want really feels weird and too gamey at certain times.

For example, the Railroad seem very eager to accept a distinguished BoS veteran in their midst, in spite of their strong opposition to the Brotherhood's views.

*a BoS veteran who is also a known supporter of the Institute.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5534 on: March 07, 2016, 04:44:44 pm »

I didn't experience this that way. There are probably some weirdness you could generate, but for me it was being a double agent torn between ethical consideration of Railroad and pragmatic simathy for The Institute. Brotherhood oddly enough is the designated "Bad Guy I would never join play along with even out of curiosity" for me.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?
Pages: 1 ... 367 368 [369] 370 371 ... 462