Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 342 343 [344] 345 346 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 832381 times)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Casuels Killed The Video Game
« Reply #5145 on: December 28, 2015, 03:52:52 am »

Don't worry about it MZ, as a fellow dad I can say that the story is so damned uninspiring and makes no meaningful attempt to actually use those feelings as motivation, so you aren't missing anything at all, except some very poorly executed heartbreak.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5146 on: December 28, 2015, 04:30:35 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here's more petty niggling (Because gods know I have a lot of that in store for this game): Why the hell does the paper look like it's hand written? I mean they clearly have a fully functional printing press, so why doesn't it use a font?

Likewise, why does the Survival Guide's cover look like something that's been drawn by a four year-old instead of an actual book? It was supposedly printed, not hand-made, so why does the cover look so bloody stupid? I know this is the post apocalypse and that you don't exactly have graphical designers on hand, but at least make the thing look halfway decent. It looked fine in New Vegas and FO3 without looking like it's been professionally designed.

Spoiler: comparison (click to show/hide)
Also why on earth would you split what is supposed to be an all-in-one, indispensable guide to surviving in the wastes into multiple books? It makes no bloody sense to me.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5147 on: December 28, 2015, 04:38:45 am »

The way I rationalize it is that its a magazine.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5148 on: December 28, 2015, 04:52:13 am »

A magazine teaching people the vital skills of surviving in their local area only makes sense in a pre-apocalyptic setting as you can afford the luxury of breaking vital information into many chunks which can then be sold separately in a serialized fashion, mostly because nobody is in imminent danger and they don't need that information to survive their day-to-day life (and also because that way you can maximize your profit).

In a post apocalyptic setting, you want the knowledge to be as concentrated as possible because people are in imminent danger and need that information to survive their day-to-day life. Besides, Moira doesn't strike me as someone who intends to maximize their profit by serializing what is in her mind the key to helping people survive.

Basically what I'm trying to say is it makes no sense. Also the "drawn by a four year old with a pen" cover looks ridiculous.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5149 on: December 28, 2015, 06:00:51 am »

Re the book.
Marge has seen better days.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5150 on: December 28, 2015, 06:10:58 am »

Spoiler: comparison (click to show/hide)
Also why on earth would you split what is supposed to be an all-in-one, indispensable guide to surviving in the wastes into multiple books? It makes no bloody sense to me.
Gotta have that episodic content.

Is it even confirmed this wasteland survival guide is the same one? Like to me it looks like something Piper and her sister could've done, since they can reprint copies, and have a reason for doing issues. Piper's sister could've been the one doing the cover. Could be they're just reprinting parts of a pre-war survival guide, and because they can't make a printing press draw, they just have the sister do the cover for each.

Like I wouldn't put it past Moira to draw that kind of cover either considering she's a child-like moron, but the issues thing would be out of place. The survival guide itself would be out of place as well, though, since that was D.C.. Plus it may as well have been filled with nonsense considering she just took the word of a random stranger for it. You even had the option of feeding her bullshit IIRC.

Wait, that guide showed up in NV? Are you REALLY sure it was Moira's and not just a pre-war one? Like it was a skill book in both FO3 and NV, right? That'd hardly be useful for you in FO3 where you basically wrote the damn thing. And the notion that nobody's come up with something better in the West, the place where cities have been built anew out of actual concrete, for 200 years is just retarded.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5151 on: December 28, 2015, 06:33:01 am »

Mild spoilers, but you're going to be equally disappointed when you side with the BoS.

The tl;dr of Fallout 4's main quest and factions.
Not reading it, but I wasn't disappointed with the railroad ending. It was about what I expected, nothing super flash. I just don't feel like I should have helped them win, because they are shit. :P
That and Danse stops talking to you once you betray the Brotherhood if you romance him. If I have to choose between dick-head-deacon and Danse, I'll go Danse. 'sides, the Brotherhood aren't wrong, they are just overly ruthless, and the game loves painting them negatively.
At least with BoS I'll get to see
in action again, which is always fun.

That's no article, it's a movie clip!

*is shot*

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5152 on: December 28, 2015, 06:35:25 am »

He doesn't want spoilers from the new Star Wars either, you asshole!
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5153 on: December 28, 2015, 06:49:26 am »

Wait, that guide showed up in NV? Are you REALLY sure it was Moira's and not just a pre-war one? Like it was a skill book in both FO3 and NV, right? That'd hardly be useful for you in FO3 where you basically wrote the damn thing. And the notion that nobody's come up with something better in the West, the place where cities have been built anew out of actual concrete, for 200 years is just retarded.
It uses the same game model as in FO3 and the wiki says it traveled to the west coast because it was so popular.

The notion that something like this wouldn't be made is not as outlandish as you may think. People generally don't come up with guides for stuff they think is self-evident and for most post-war US residents survival is either self-evident or they die.

Like I wouldn't put it past Moira to draw that kind of cover either considering she's a child-like moron, but the issues thing would be out of place. The survival guide itself would be out of place as well, though, since that was D.C.. Plus it may as well have been filled with nonsense considering she just took the word of a random stranger for it. You even had the option of feeding her bullshit IIRC.
Yeah but the canon says the Wanderer didn't feed her bullshit.

Is it even confirmed this wasteland survival guide is the same one? Like to me it looks like something Piper and her sister could've done, since they can reprint copies, and have a reason for doing issues. Piper's sister could've been the one doing the cover. Could be they're just reprinting parts of a pre-war survival guide, and because they can't make a printing press draw, they just have the sister do the cover for each.
Pre-war survival guides don't teach you about ghouls, deathclaws, the peculiarities of postwar game and crops, raiders et cetera, so it'd be pretty bloody useless. here's all of the covers.

It's definitely a post-war magazine though. Now it is possible that this has been done by the Wright sisters, but it's still stupid that it's serialized and that they for some reason cannot use fonts for the cover.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5154 on: December 28, 2015, 08:12:33 am »

It is very likely these guides were done by someone in the commonwealth, because one of them is a map to Diamond City, while another is called "Commonwealth Coupon Spectacular".
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5155 on: December 28, 2015, 08:26:29 am »

He doesn't want spoilers from the new Star Wars either, you asshole!
Kidding aside, I'd honestly rather have had The Search for More Money instead of Episode VII.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Jiokuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Morning comes whether you set the alarm or not
    • View Profile
« Reply #5156 on: December 28, 2015, 09:23:26 am »

So, what did Fallout 4 do right?

As a designer, I've picked it apart and tried to learn from the bad parts as much as I can.

But, as flawed as it is, I still enjoyed it for 120 hours. (much less than previous games by Beth, but still)

Why is it fun. I mean power armor feels nice, the shooting is pretty solid, although it meshes poorly with weapon damage. (FPS + hit target 10 times in head for a kill, perhaps not the best genera mesh there)

Edit: I rambled here spoilered away

What did fallout 4 do well, better than another game?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 09:33:59 am by Jiokuy »

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5157 on: December 28, 2015, 09:43:08 am »

First things first.  Fallout 4 is NOT an FPS, it is an FPARPG (that is First Person Action Role-Playing Game.)  Second, Fallout 4 did NOTHING better than other games, only as well as or worse than.

It's settlement mechanics are pretty solid, though the Radiant Quest elements tied into them are abysmal.
The weapon modding system is decently well developed, but fails to really even the playing field, the 10mm will always be better than the pipe gun as a pistol, the hunting rifle will always be better than the pipe gun as a rifle, and the higher-tier weapons just leave everything in the dust.
Power Armor is decently well done, but does not distinguish itself from Halo or Mech Assault 2 (where most of the basic ideas came from.)
The companion system is okay, but has been handled much better elsewhere (like just about any Bioware title.)
The conversation system is almost entirely a bad deal, only the ability to quit conversations was really an improvement.
Dynamic content generation (the legendary loot system in this case) is very weak and could use major expansion, Diablo and other titles have done this in vastly superior ways.
The perk system is almost okay, but really needed some more thought, having to sink 6 levels of perks into lockpick and hacking (three each, with level gating) is a major issue here.

The game itself is not bad, but the majority of its mechanics are weak or half-assed, and those that are strong are not innovative (i.e. they do nothing special.)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 09:50:43 am by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5158 on: December 28, 2015, 09:56:16 am »

In strict comparison to previous Fallout games anyway, I'd say that the following were better:

1. Power armor was handled pretty well I think.  The fusion core economy is annoying at first, but is actually a meaningful choice, at least early on.
2. Combat outside of VATS feels a lot better than FO3 or NV.  I very rarely ever bothered to even try combat outside of VATS in FO3, and only if I was out of AP in NV.
3. Settlement building is included without mods.

Most of the other parts of the game felt stagnant or like they regressed some from previous games.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Jiokuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Morning comes whether you set the alarm or not
    • View Profile
« Reply #5159 on: December 28, 2015, 09:56:38 am »

A quick comment, the Settlement Building, and the Weapon Modding, were in my opinion the least appealing aspects of Fallout 4 for me.

I think this is mostly because I very much enjoy that sort of stuff, and Fallout 4 just does it in a way that feels tedious, and lacks meaningful choice. (too sleep deprived to elaborate atm sorry, also more interested in keeping discussion on the good parts atm)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 10:03:44 am by Jiokuy »
Pages: 1 ... 342 343 [344] 345 346 ... 462