Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 341 342 [343] 344 345 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 832378 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Casuels Killed The Video Game
« Reply #5130 on: December 27, 2015, 11:28:26 am »

The wiki says that skill reduces sway in NV as well.
And as an aside, if you don't meet the STR requirement for a gun in NV it will be inaccurate as hell.  I tried using the anti-materiel rifle with like 3 STR... utterly unusable.  Which is fine, even a good thing.

There's a massive difference in 'sway' and the cone of fire in Fallout 3.

With NV, as long as you're aiming you can still see where the gun's pointing. Yeah, it'll move back and forth as per 'sway', but if your sights are lined up on target when you pull the trigger, you're going to hit it.
In 3, the sniper rifle, which is one of the few guns you can use the sights on, would commonly miss after you took the time to line up a shot because the bullet would not go where the sights pointed to, at least at lower Small Guns skill.
Ah yeah that's an important distinction.  I think I like the NV system better, even though the FO3 system is frankly more realistic.  In real life, I couldn't rely on my perception of a rifle sight to be correct.  I wouldn't be looking correctly, or brace correctly, and might pull instead of squeeze etc.

And the NV system lets a skilled player overcome an unskilled character to pull off skilled shots, which breaks character to an extent...  But at least it's relatively difficult to shoot with the unskilled character, and damage is still affected.  Idunno, it's probably fine.  I guess what I want is that an FPS-unskilled or relaxing player be *able* to enjoy the game, not that a FPS-skilled player have no advantage at all.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5131 on: December 27, 2015, 11:31:51 am »

The point is still that 3 showed at least a half-hearted attempt to find a decent compromise between being a straight-up shooter and having all combat be VATS.

e: Rolan, that's what VATS is and should be there for: a way for someone who can't into FPS (or doesn't want to) to play the game. The problem is that it's too easy to minmax into either perfect accuracy forever (as in previous games) or the crit-monster LUK build of 4, and that it's practically useless if you don't. The main drawback outside of those is that it has an abysmal range, but I'm sort of okay with that being a thing.

The shift towards super-slow bullet-time VATS was, IMO, ultimately a bad one. Bethesda should have cribbed from PN and offered two modes: the old pause version, and straight-up bullettime that served the same role while being reliant on player skill rather than character skill.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5132 on: December 27, 2015, 11:54:57 am »

I miss the expansive interiors of Fallout 3, I hate walking into a decent sized building and having the vast majority of it be caved in or otherwise inaccessible, I don't like the tiny subway tunnels with itty-bitty connecting serviceways.  C'mon Bethesda, the point is to make the game more everything, not to strip it down to the bare bones and paint it with bright colors.

Yes I do realize that from a development standpoint smaller interiors mean (slightly) shorter loading times and more locations can be done, but for crying out loud everything just feels so small.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 11:56:28 am by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5133 on: December 27, 2015, 12:08:27 pm »

I miss the expansive interiors of Fallout 3, I hate walking into a decent sized building and having the vast majority of it be caved in or otherwise inaccessible, I don't like the tiny subway tunnels with itty-bitty connecting serviceways.  C'mon Bethesda, the point is to make the game more everything, not to strip it down to the bare bones and paint it with bright colors.

Yes I do realize that from a development standpoint smaller interiors mean (slightly) shorter loading times and more locations can be done, but for crying out loud everything just feels so small.

Are you sure you aren't thinking of fallout 3? I remember all the cramped and blocked off places forcing walking through cramped subway tunnels to enter a building that seems like it seems like it should've collapsed with how much infrastructure is broken down.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5134 on: December 27, 2015, 12:11:54 pm »

Did... did Fallout 3 have interiors that weren't subway tunnels or bunker/bunker-like sets of corridors? The only ones I recall at all are the Dunwich building, Raven Rock, and Rivet City.

3. Run Resize Enable

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5135 on: December 27, 2015, 12:15:36 pm »

I probably didn't explain well, what I mean is that crossing through the DC Metro was an actual task, it went all over the place and was expansive as hell.  Most of the buildings had large amounts of walkable space, even though they were cramped confines, most places in F4 are five minutes and everything is dead, several spots in F3 were thirty minutes to an hour of continuous travel and exploration.  The longest time I've spent in interior cells is the Vaults, and even they are extremely small (their layouts make a hell of a lot more sense, but they are tiny.)  There were definitely small areas in F3 as well, but most of those were just hole-in-the-wall places.

For FD: Capital Building, the tricycle plant, the nuka-cola plant, multiple Vaults, Fort Constantine, the dish arrays, etc.  They all looked an awful lot alike tho', Beth is starting to look like one of the laziest devs ever where tilesets are concerned.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 12:19:04 pm by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5136 on: December 27, 2015, 12:21:24 pm »

I finally managed to pick up Pain Train, and as someone who spends most of their time in power armour it's very fun to be able to just ram into enemies and watch them fly into the air.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5137 on: December 27, 2015, 04:43:07 pm »

So I just finished the game on the side of the Railroad, and oddly, despite them seeming like the most ethical faction, I feel bad about it. The Brotherhood was my jam, and I betrayed them. And now my BoS bae won't even talk to me anymore. ;(
I think I might load the save and finish on the side of the Brotherhood. It's hurt my soul siding with the stupid railroad.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5138 on: December 27, 2015, 04:46:14 pm »

Mild spoilers, but you're going to be equally disappointed when you side with the BoS.

The tl;dr of Fallout 4's main quest and factions.

3. Run Resize Enable

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5139 on: December 27, 2015, 06:54:46 pm »

Having skill impact aim only through CoF would be pretty bad. I'd add it as a subtle additional effect on top of sway, recoil, bloom, maybe some other things idk I'm not a gun nut. Basically hide the smaller CoF behind other effects to make it feel more natural.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5140 on: December 27, 2015, 08:31:18 pm »

So I just finished my second playthrough of the main quest. Sided with the brotherhood this time, and damn did killing the Institute give me a bit of trouble. It wasn't hard to defeat them, but I genuinely felt bad for doing it.

I was able to slaughter the railroad and dance a merry jig upon their bones as I cannibalized their bodies, I was able to get over blowing the brotherhood out of the sky with only mild regrets, but something about the institute really hurt:(

In other news Pain Train is possibly my favorite perk. Being able to ram my way through corridors full of enemies and watch them crumble at my feet is very satisfying. I even killed a Super Mutant Suicider by crashing into him and knocking him dead.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5141 on: December 27, 2015, 08:32:12 pm »

Mild spoilers, but you're going to be equally disappointed when you side with the BoS.

The tl;dr of Fallout 4's main quest and factions.
Not reading it, but I wasn't disappointed with the railroad ending. It was about what I expected, nothing super flash. I just don't feel like I should have helped them win, because they are shit. :P
That and Danse stops talking to you once you betray the Brotherhood if you romance him. If I have to choose between dick-head-deacon and Danse, I'll go Danse. 'sides, the Brotherhood aren't wrong, they are just overly ruthless, and the game loves painting them negatively.
At least with BoS I'll get to see
in action again, which is always fun.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5142 on: December 28, 2015, 01:39:40 am »

Meh, the final BoS quest felt pretty underwhelming to me.

Finished the game with the Minutemen. The "Defend the Castle" quest was quite fun and overall the ending felt more satisfying than the BoS ending. The wiki says that the BoS should hate my guts now but they're not. They're just kinda there.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5143 on: December 28, 2015, 02:45:03 am »

twelve hours in and i have come to several conclusions
-i'm numb to the shitty graphics setting now. sometimes in an extended conversation i notice the 8-bit shadow textures but that's it.
-sarcasm is so much fun
-do not ditch the laser musket.
-do not ditch the laser musket. upgrade it to three cranks and basically anything without a prefix or suffix is disintegrated.
-why would anyone in their right mind use pipe weapons so much except their availability, literally anything is better in the commonwealth? goddamn raiders, man.
-i've spent fifteen minutes with piper and my ss is now gay for her
-i also love piper
-piper is the best character in diamond city until nick shows up

Black lives matter.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5144 on: December 28, 2015, 02:57:06 am »

-snip-
Almost 80 hours into my save at this point, and I've never even bothered to find Nick. I guess I'm not all that invested in the story (which honestly worries me a bit, given that I'm a real life dad...) I've spent just about all of my time exploring and building settlements, story be damned. I'm the mayor of Beantown now. That said, I'm seriously considering starting over because there's a mod on the Nexus that allows you to clear out a bunch of the shrubs and broken down houses and stuff in settlements, but only works on a new save.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 341 342 [343] 344 345 ... 462