Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 339 340 [341] 342 343 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 832366 times)

dv

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Casuels Killed The Video Game
« Reply #5100 on: December 26, 2015, 02:34:26 pm »

No, but the expectations on follower... dimension-of-personage has grown since then. Just like our expectations of graphics.
Not really. Pillars of Eternity and other recent RPGs have the same hello-ok-I'll-join-you followers and I didn't see anyone complaining.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5101 on: December 26, 2015, 02:38:05 pm »

On mobile but about white kid, nani? My kid's pretty dark, a mix of me and husband.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5102 on: December 26, 2015, 02:39:55 pm »

at least one of you has to be white ( because its kinda hard to have white kid from two black/asian )
I know this is about nitpicky as it comes, but this is not the case. Shaun's appearance will change based on the parents. That means if you make two hideous monsters, things can get amusing.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5103 on: December 26, 2015, 03:38:15 pm »

you have to be hetero etc.
Nope. Gay people have kids and get married to the opposite sex all the time. Look at pretty much any anti-gay politician.
Ba-dum-tish!

In all seriousness, I really do enjoy Fallout 4, (and I seem to be the only one who is still enjoying it now...) but I actually got more enjoyment out of Oblivion on the Xbox 360. I got maybe 300 hours out of it with no mods, and I'm already starting to need mods for F4. This could also be owed to the fact that I was in highschool when I was playing my 300+ hour save on Oblivion, and had nothing much else to do with my free time, but I dunno. It seemed like there was more uniqueness to each quest, and I didn't have to go out looking for new quest triggers.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #5104 on: December 26, 2015, 04:25:56 pm »

Setting aside, Fallout 4 is a lot closer to Far Cry than Fallout. I flat out refuse to call it an RPG any more.

(Seriously though, it's fucked that the Courier remembers the backstory of Lonesome Road but the player never does.  That creates a *huge* disconnect between player and character, and is so very easily fixed by having the Courier receive amnesia and a change of personality from their traumatic head wound.  Fuck the word-of-god.)

Actually you can go through the entirety of Lonesome road completely denying any knowledge of anything that happened, making it seem like Ulysses is misblaming The Courier for something they didn't do and too far gone to accept otherwise. You chose to make it the Courier's backstory by picking those dialogue options that have them acknowledge it. There are several instances in the game where you can make dialogue that hints at The Courier's past, but if you don't pick it then it's not your Courier's backstory.

This disconnect between player and character is something Obsidian seem to enjoy exploring (KoToR 2 did something similar, your character goes the majority of the game knowing about things and hinting at things through dialogue options which we, the player, cannot yet know about. There are several times where you decide the way past events played out in dialogue or flashbacks in that game).
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 04:32:03 pm by MorleyDev »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5105 on: December 26, 2015, 04:30:29 pm »

Quote from: AlleeCat
In all seriousness, I really do enjoy Fallout 4, (and I seem to be the only one who is still enjoying it now...)

I still enjoy playing FO4, but after the first 10 hours or so I came to realize the game was more shallow than I was hoping for.  It just doesn't give me the same feel that previous Fallout games did, for better and for worse.  It feels a lot more like a shooter and action game than an RPG.  That doesn't make it a bad game or unenjoyable, just not what I was hoping for.

At this point I think I'm going to say what I've seen a lot of other people say: I just hope that it gets a New Vegas equivalent eventually that tweaks the gameplay mechanics and gives a better story.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5106 on: December 26, 2015, 06:13:43 pm »

Nope. Gay people have kids and get married to the opposite sex all the time. Look at pretty much any anti-gay politician.
Ba-dum-tish!

HEYO!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5107 on: December 26, 2015, 08:00:37 pm »

Things I discovered on my Cheater Character: Jetpack + player.setav speedmult 1000= Orbit achieved.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5108 on: December 26, 2015, 08:45:22 pm »

Ba-dum-tish!

HEYO!

Beards are a thing, yanno? Especially in pseudo-'50s culture.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5109 on: December 26, 2015, 08:48:04 pm »

- just like every other Bethesda game world feels completely empty, featureless and unresponsive to my actions
- it takes 15 minutes to get Power Armour ( which my housewife is somehow familliar to the point she can operate, fix and even modify it ) and minigun
It's really shitty power armor limited by fusion cores.
But lorewise yes, it bothers me that anyone can operate it.  I... guess the husband may have taught the wife how to use it, and they're teaching the settlers "off-camera".  And... the bandits... are orks?
It doesn't make sense, they just wanted to show off their fancy power armor.  So you're right.

Okay, stop right there.  In Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics it takes no specialized training to use PA whatsoever, that mechanic is introduced by Bethesda as of Fallout 3 and is one of the blatant violations of lore that I will not let slide.

Edit: Fallout 1, 2, Tactics, and 4 do not have PA training, 3 and NV do.  That is four out of six games where training is not needed, making 3 and NV outliers.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 08:56:12 pm by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5110 on: December 26, 2015, 08:48:30 pm »

Beards are a thing, yanno? Especially in pseudo-'50s culture.

* Ultimuh rubs his beard on Flying Dice's face.
FEEL the beard.
GROW the beard.
BE the beard.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5111 on: December 26, 2015, 09:05:09 pm »

how many times have we been over this

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5112 on: December 26, 2015, 09:16:34 pm »

- just like every other Bethesda game world feels completely empty, featureless and unresponsive to my actions
- it takes 15 minutes to get Power Armour ( which my housewife is somehow familliar to the point she can operate, fix and even modify it ) and minigun
It's really shitty power armor limited by fusion cores.
But lorewise yes, it bothers me that anyone can operate it.  I... guess the husband may have taught the wife how to use it, and they're teaching the settlers "off-camera".  And... the bandits... are orks?
It doesn't make sense, they just wanted to show off their fancy power armor.  So you're right.

Okay, stop right there.  In Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics it takes no specialized training to use PA whatsoever, that mechanic is introduced by Bethesda as of Fallout 3 and is one of the blatant violations of lore that I will not let slide.

Edit: Fallout 1, 2, Tactics, and 4 do not have PA training, 3 and NV do.  That is four out of six games where training is not needed, making 3 and NV outliers.
Thank you, god. It's annoying how people keep holding up 3 and NV as paragons of what Fallout "really" is, except when it suits them not to.

Like the blind fucking defense of the terrible combat mechanics. "Buh buh RPG not FPS?"

Yeah, FO1/2 weren't FPSes. The pure RPG stats-maketh-man approach worked perfectly well for them, because they were pure RPGs and everything could be derived from stats. When the decision was made to reboot the series as first-person action-RPGs, that stopped making sense, for the same reason that it wouldn't make sense in Diablo-likes: when combat, puzzles, &c. occur in real time, they must by necessity rely to some degree on player skill, because actions in such need more input and allow for finer control than "choose which button to press, and don't worry about how long you take to decide".

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5113 on: December 26, 2015, 09:32:29 pm »

Don't be so married to labels guys (not talking to Flying Dice)

Just because something is a FPS or a RPG or a Strategy Game or a roguelike it doesn't mean it is beholden to those mechanics.

Fallout 3 worked AND had stats. Want to shoot better? Get more skill.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5114 on: December 26, 2015, 09:46:17 pm »

Setting aside, Fallout 4 is a lot closer to Far Cry than Fallout. I flat out refuse to call it an RPG any more.

(Seriously though, it's fucked that the Courier remembers the backstory of Lonesome Road but the player never does.  That creates a *huge* disconnect between player and character, and is so very easily fixed by having the Courier receive amnesia and a change of personality from their traumatic head wound.  Fuck the word-of-god.)

Actually you can go through the entirety of Lonesome road completely denying any knowledge of anything that happened, making it seem like Ulysses is misblaming The Courier for something they didn't do and too far gone to accept otherwise. You chose to make it the Courier's backstory by picking those dialogue options that have them acknowledge it. There are several instances in the game where you can make dialogue that hints at The Courier's past, but if you don't pick it then it's not your Courier's backstory.

This disconnect between player and character is something Obsidian seem to enjoy exploring (KoToR 2 did something similar, your character goes the majority of the game knowing about things and hinting at things through dialogue options which we, the player, cannot yet know about. There are several times where you decide the way past events played out in dialogue or flashbacks in that game).
Well fortunately I got through lonesome road thinking the courier had amnesia. I played the whole game three times thinking that, which is maybe why I'm so annoyed that official word of God is that the courier remembered everything.  And when I next play, I will ignore that nonsense. Amnesia explains so much and causes no issues at all, even in Lonesome Road.

FD: Three was essentially turn based with pausing. Literally no FPS skill necessary. My understanding is you don't have to aim well in KOTOR either, despite being "real time".

But maybe I should try a high AGI/PER VATS only run in 4. With all these drugs it may not be so tough as I'm suggesting.  Playing NV without manually sniping is rough though (less so with 10 END)

EDIT: I really am enjoying the game though, looking forward to getting home to play (and still unsure what choice to make). It's just not the RPG I'm looking for, and I'm more likely to replay Borderlands tPS with my friends than this imitation.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 10:00:43 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 339 340 [341] 342 343 ... 462