Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 337 338 [339] 340 341 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 832294 times)

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Casuels Killed The Video Game
« Reply #5070 on: December 25, 2015, 04:06:34 pm »

What I meant is if my choice of allegiance was correct. I mean, someone might just feel like closing arbitrarily chosen path, but I feel morally invested into doing the right. I guess it was pretty good after all.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5071 on: December 25, 2015, 06:27:07 pm »

So, after a lot of thought and careful reflection, I have determined that I and others who have criticized Bethesda's interpretation of Fallout lore are wrong, and should probably apologize to the people who have defended the game.

So, to those I have upset or crossed blades with: I am sorry.

The reason I (and others) have been wrong is an assumption based on Bethesda's chosen naming scheme: Fallout 3 and Fallout4.  This choice led me to believe that Bethesda was intending to pick up where Fallout 1&2 left off, when in reality their intent (very poorly explained in or out of game) has been to spin their own separate and distinct timeline.
The division point is the same as Fallout Tactics, in the Black Isle universe, the Brotherhood of Steel never tried to become a major force, they were content to use their knowledge to help the fledgling NCR (only to later be betrayed, but that is not important here.)  In the Tactics universe the BoS built their airships, and headed out to destroy the remnants of the Master's Army, and in the process unified the Midwest under the BoS banner.  In the Bethesda universe the airships happened, and maybe the unification happened (insufficient data, the intolerance for non-humans leads me to believe that the unification did not occur), then they spread east eventually arriving in the Capital Wasteland.
I am not going to forgive certain distortions of established lore, but overall this realization has helped me come to terms with Bethesda's vision for Fallout.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #5072 on: December 25, 2015, 06:50:03 pm »

I wish Beth had gone with what seems like the original idea for Fallout 3: Set it at the same time as Fallout 1, but on the east coast. Would of made it easier to view it more as "Meanwhile, one universe over" to the original games. By deliberately placing them after the original games, it makes it harder to see them not as direct continuations of the same world.

Do hope they decide to give Obsidian the reins again for another spin-off game set on the west coast. Would be interesting to see what they can do with the new engine. The gameplay of 4 but with quests that have choices that actually matter and your character just saying the same thing in a slightly different way? Yes please, because "the choice doesn't matter if the outcome is the same".

Though hopefully without the "We will completely dick you over" clause this time...
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 06:58:08 pm by MorleyDev »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5073 on: December 25, 2015, 07:01:21 pm »

I guess the choice to go full BoS rather than make their own Pentagon Military Survivor faction made that time period impossible.
Love, scriver~

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5074 on: December 25, 2015, 09:40:32 pm »

The division point is the same as Fallout Tactics, in the Black Isle universe, the Brotherhood of Steel never tried to become a major force, they were content to use their knowledge to help the fledgling NCR (only to later be betrayed, but that is not important here.)  In the Tactics universe the BoS built their airships, and headed out to destroy the remnants of the Master's Army, and in the process unified the Midwest under the BoS banner.  In the Bethesda universe the airships happened, and maybe the unification happened (insufficient data, the intolerance for non-humans leads me to believe that the unification did not occur), then they spread east eventually arriving in the Capital Wasteland.
A little distinction is that the midwestern brotherhood were essentially outcasts, basically a schism between the mainstream west/californian BoS which ended up leaving to chase the remnants of the super mutant army. The east coast BoS is actually descended from the californian BoS, given maxson's presence.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

GundamMerc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5075 on: December 25, 2015, 11:29:03 pm »

A little distinction is that the midwestern brotherhood were essentially outcasts, basically a schism between the mainstream west/californian BoS which ended up leaving to chase the remnants of the super mutant army. The east coast BoS is actually descended from the californian BoS, given maxson's presence.

A bit of, not correction, because what you're said is technically correct, but clarification. The East Coast BoS originate from the californian BoS, but diverge early on upon arriving in the Capital Wasteland. They fracture, then after Lyons dies have several weak leaders before Maxson takes charge. Maxson institutes a recruiting system involving sponsoring by Knights that is a compromise between the xenophobic views of the original BoS and the reckless recruitment of unreliable wastelanders without any system of weeding them out under Lyons. This allowed a growth in overall strength of the East Coast BoS, especially once the Outcasts were reintegrated when Maxson proved to be more along the lines of their viewpoint. The huge amount of war material recovered from the Enclave operations in the CW allowed them to basically overhaul their forces from the T-45 Power armor they had been using to the much more advanced T-60 suits they currently use.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5076 on: December 26, 2015, 01:49:05 am »

That is another reason that I put the Bethesda universe in it's own category, separate from Tactics.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5077 on: December 26, 2015, 02:20:11 am »

this game is fucking amazing and also why is copper so hard to find
Black lives matter.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5078 on: December 26, 2015, 02:22:06 am »

Kill more robots, scrap more junk, or just use console commands to overcome soul-crushing time spent looting.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5079 on: December 26, 2015, 02:24:28 am »

im using my brother's xbox version while mine downloads for pc, actually
this wifi pains me ;-;
Black lives matter.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5080 on: December 26, 2015, 03:10:13 am »

this game is fucking amazing and also why is copper so hard to find
I was like you. Once I marked it as a searched resource I realized that it was in fact all over the place. Also the advanced scrapping perk is really nice.

Oh yeah, since we're talking about the game, is it just me or does FO4 have lot less (non-radiant) quests than we normally expect from a Bethesda game- say Skyrim, or Fallout 3? It feels like a peculiar omission.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5081 on: December 26, 2015, 03:25:48 am »

They seem harder to find, at the least.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5082 on: December 26, 2015, 04:59:29 am »

That's a byproduct of the small map and the fact that there are a grand total of three neutral settlements, plus one for each of the three non-Minutemen factions. Compare that to 30-something settlements in NV. Quite simply almost every place you visit is either a combat encounter zone, little holes that are empty/noninteractable/occupied by tiny groups or lone NPCs, or one of the Minutemen settlements which pretty much offer only procedural quests.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5083 on: December 26, 2015, 05:20:43 am »

I agree with that statement, except that most of the inhabited-at-start "homesteads" have their own unprocedural sidequests for recruiting them.
Love, scriver~

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5084 on: December 26, 2015, 06:02:18 am »

True, but those are all basically identical to the procedural ones, in the sense of go-here-shoot-this. There's usually a unique NPC or whatever, but yeah, those are the same locations you're going to be going back to every week or so.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 337 338 [339] 340 341 ... 462