Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 335 336 [337] 338 339 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 832286 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Casuels Killed The Video Game
« Reply #5040 on: December 23, 2015, 06:50:39 pm »

Being able to craft ammo does trivialize it, and I'm not so sure about it anyway.  How realistic is it to make usable bullets for a modern weapon from junk?  I'd guess nearly impossible without very specific tools.  Having said that, I never did use the reloading benches in New Vegas because there was almost no point.

-snip-

Overall, though, anyone who does know what they're doing could probably put together an effective ammunition building station out of literal scrap.

I guess it's not so hard to believe that you can make bullets, but I would expect it to be very hard to make good bullets for manufactured weapons.  Aren't the tolerances extremely tight, so that the bullet will engage the rifling properly?  I'd expect that deviating from that very much would either wear the gun out super fast or significantly degrade the range, damage and accuracy of the weapon.  Maybe it's easier to get the tolerances to spec than I think.

Making ammo for pipe rifles and the like seems a lot more plausible to do with household junk at least.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5041 on: December 23, 2015, 07:20:00 pm »

I guess it's not so hard to believe that you can make bullets, but I would expect it to be very hard to make good bullets for manufactured weapons.  Aren't the tolerances extremely tight, so that the bullet will engage the rifling properly?  I'd expect that deviating from that very much would either wear the gun out super fast or significantly degrade the range, damage and accuracy of the weapon.  Maybe it's easier to get the tolerances to spec than I think.

Making ammo for pipe rifles and the like seems a lot more plausible to do with household junk at least.

Ultimately, the most implausible part is that there's so much pre-war ammunition lying around after 200+ years (not to mention weapons, but that's beside the point). Ammunition crafting isn't in itself implausible, but from a gameplay perspective you'd need to balance it. In this case, that'd mean making pre-war ammo a lot scarcer, which makes sense.

Personally, I think it'd be interesting to have to mostly rely on "homemade" ammo, as the properly manufactured kind would be very rare. You could even make it so that proper bullets are more effective than the improvised stuff everyone inevitably ends up using most of the time.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5042 on: December 23, 2015, 07:33:06 pm »

Bullets aren't really a problem, casings can get reused and as long as there's some softer metal like lead forming a seal for the rifling you can use not quite properly fitting rounds. You loose efficiency and get mechanical problems though.
More likely is that a gun lieing in the wasteland for 200 years has rusted beyond use. Even a decade should be enough to ruin the mainsprings or weld the reciever solid.
Sure t34's can be recovered from polish swamps 80 years later and be drivable after restoration, but the complex mechanical parts are mostly sealed in oil filled cases, also a swamp is actually a fairly good place for preservation, low oxygen levels etc. gun parts are small too and having tiny tolerances means microscopic corrosion is enough to break operation.
That guy with the AK full of Twinkie put his much abused glock into a dishwasher and it rusted immediately. To be honest all the corrosive shit he put that glock in probably affected the factory anti corrosion coating, but 200 years in the wasteland has got to be pretty bad.
Edit: why isn't any of that stuff buried? The earth does move, at the least you would expect roads to be buried and houses in worse condition, here's a random picture of a gun dug out of a hole after 100 years.

To be honest, the trench itself looks almost exactly like decayed fallout shack walls and junk fences, so good job there. Contains graphic images, there's a bone sticking out of a helmet and possibly more I missed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2099187/Bodies-21-German-soldiers-buried-alive-WW1-trench-perfectly-preserved-94-years-later.html
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 07:44:03 pm by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5043 on: December 23, 2015, 07:38:06 pm »

Got gifted this for Xmas.

I wasn't really ready to play it yet, I kinda wanted to wait longer for the real mod work to start. That said, what's the state of FO4 modding right now? Any must haves out there already?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5044 on: December 23, 2015, 07:53:37 pm »

And with pre war ammo being so scarce you could make it into a currency!
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5045 on: December 23, 2015, 07:54:51 pm »

Would make more sense than bottle caps, they probably would all get reused as shell casings.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5046 on: December 23, 2015, 08:16:15 pm »

Bullets aren't really a problem, casings can get reused and as long as there's some softer metal like lead forming a seal for the rifling you can use not quite properly fitting rounds. You loose efficiency and get mechanical problems though.
More likely is that a gun lieing in the wasteland for 200 years has rusted beyond use. Even a decade should be enough to ruin the mainsprings or weld the reciever solid.
Sure t34's can be recovered from polish swamps 80 years later and be drivable after restoration, but the complex mechanical parts are mostly sealed in oil filled cases, also a swamp is actually a fairly good place for preservation, low oxygen levels etc. gun parts are small too and having tiny tolerances means microscopic corrosion is enough to break operation.
That guy with the AK full of Twinkie put his much abused glock into a dishwasher and it rusted immediately. To be honest all the corrosive shit he put that glock in probably affected the factory anti corrosion coating, but 200 years in the wasteland has got to be pretty bad.
Edit: why isn't any of that stuff buried? The earth does move, at the least you would expect roads to be buried and houses in worse condition, here's a random picture of a gun dug out of a hole after 100 years.

To be honest, the trench itself looks almost exactly like decayed fallout shack walls and junk fences, so good job there. Contains graphic images, there's a bone sticking out of a helmet and possibly more I missed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2099187/Bodies-21-German-soldiers-buried-alive-WW1-trench-perfectly-preserved-94-years-later.html

Casings can be reused, but they need to be resized and occasionally they split.
Pure lead isn't going to really be used in any modern calibre, since it'll leave lead deposits down the barrel, enough to render it inaccurate after a few shots and potentially splitting after more. You wouldn't even want to use just hard lead (alloys with something like antimony or tin) for rifles, you'd want to use jacketed rounds.

After 200 years, there would be basically nothing left of the old world- not ruined roads or cities.

But these are both acceptable breaks in reality that you just need lead to make a rifle round or that buildings are still mostly intact to make
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5047 on: December 23, 2015, 08:25:22 pm »

Got gifted this for Xmas.

I wasn't really ready to play it yet, I kinda wanted to wait longer for the real mod work to start. That said, what's the state of FO4 modding right now? Any must haves out there already?

No must haves that I've seen. People are fairly limited in what they can do using FO4EDIT.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5048 on: December 23, 2015, 09:06:11 pm »

Pure lead isn't going to really be used in any modern calibre, since it'll leave lead deposits down the barrel, enough to render it inaccurate after a few shots and potentially splitting after more. You wouldn't even want to use just hard lead (alloys with something like antimony or tin) for rifles, you'd want to use jacketed rounds.

After 200 years, there would be basically nothing left of the old world- not ruined roads or cities.

But these are both acceptable breaks in reality that you just need lead to make a rifle round or that buildings are still mostly intact to make

It's mostly because they wanted to try and tie the series away into their own thing.. They just didn't plan for it well.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5049 on: December 23, 2015, 09:19:45 pm »

There's a fairly good assortment of mods if your after either , harder, easier, or sims apocalypse edition.
Oh or playboy mansion 40k.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5050 on: December 23, 2015, 09:37:51 pm »

It's mostly because they wanted to try and tie the series away into their own thing.. They just didn't plan for it well.

I think the original plan Bethesda is supposed to have had was for FO3 to be set just a few decades after the war (which would have made Little Lamplight make waaaaay more sense,) but something happened part way through development and stuff got changed. By that point they already had a lot of stuff made and had to just run with it.

The overall aesthetic they wound up with is pretty nice though, so I personally don't mind the issues like 'why haven't the houses collapsed?' and 'why is there still uneaten food in the supermarkets?'
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5051 on: December 23, 2015, 11:24:19 pm »

Fallout is not a world that is really meant to make sense and civilization level is probably wobbling with raise and fall of prominent city.

But it's also a videogame universe. Any Videogame, like, say, TES tends to have unreasonable for a populated region number of ruins, bandits and monsters.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5052 on: December 23, 2015, 11:31:23 pm »

It does make some sense if the radiation levels here were so high that people have only just returned, though Chernobyl and even Fukushima show major reforestation in areas people have avoided.

GundamMerc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5053 on: December 24, 2015, 12:01:19 am »

It does make some sense if the radiation levels here were so high that people have only just returned, though Chernobyl and even Fukushima show major reforestation in areas people have avoided.

Chernobyl and Fukushima =/= massive nuclear war

Fukushima in fact isn't even a nuclear disaster. the only people who died there were two workers that drowned from the tsunami. the amount of radioactivity added to the ocean is literally a drop, not in a bucket, but in an ocean. It has no practical effect.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5054 on: December 24, 2015, 12:15:12 am »

Well, it's the difference between Fallout and the real world isn't it? In Fallout, nuclear fallout ended up with pretty much all plant life dying off, mutation of animals and large areas still irradiated. I'm not sure what the first recorded event on the surface was since Fallout 1 takes place 80ish years after the war but Shady Sands was established in 2142. It might've taken about 10 to 15 years for radiation levels to get low enough looking at this timeline.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.
Pages: 1 ... 335 336 [337] 338 339 ... 462