Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 831772 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Casuels Killed The Video Game
« Reply #4830 on: December 14, 2015, 09:24:21 pm »

If you gibber at everyone all the time, by sheer probability, you'll finish all the quest. Especially since most of the quest requires you to shoot people so odds are, people not shooting you means they want you to shoot someone and those shooting you are the ones you need to shoot.
But sometimes the people to shoot just gibber back.
Only safe course is to shoot everyone?

That'd work pretty well in FO3 and later.  "Oh this meatsack is invincible, better listen!"  In FO2... Wow, I don't think I *ever* tried shooting up Arroyo, but I assume you're permitted to?  I wonder how that even works with later events.

But in Fallout 1/2 I guess a mass-murderer would just have to find the Master or the Enclave on your own.  Almost positive it was impossible to render the games unwinnable (well, except for FO1's time restrictions...)
I remember getting help to reach the Enclave base (I only finished 2 not 1) but I'm sure there was a way.  Maybe a repair skill check.

In the fallout universe I would expect someone gibbering at people to be shot
Or become a raider.
New Vegas had at least one loony NPC, and FO4 has its loony psycher.  In general my impression is that crazy personalities are practically encouraged.  The devastation brought out the extremist in many.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 09:27:22 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4831 on: December 14, 2015, 10:07:05 pm »

There's an early alpha release of Mod Organizer 2 out which supports Fallout 4.

Also, for settlement woes, more mods for the mod throne:
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2683/?
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2819/?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4832 on: December 14, 2015, 10:46:58 pm »

So I guess that makes me literally the only person who likes the pipe reflex sight :P
I mean, not as much as the ACTUAL reflex sights other guns get, but I think its better then the default sights at least.

Also am I the only one who does testing to see how much Shaun changes depending on what you and your other look like?
I mean, there is obviously defaultbrightwhite Shaun and black!Shaun, but I've been trying to see if for instance the claim that "Shaun has your eyes" made to the mother is true or not.

Well I've been TRYING, but I keep getting distracted by playing the game :P
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 10:49:38 pm by BFEL »
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4833 on: December 14, 2015, 11:05:03 pm »

I think it's kinda neat and original, just an absolute pain to actually use.  Particularly with high/any recoil.

And I didn't do experiments, but my PC's Indian and Nate's... Irish, basically.  Result seemed to be pretty light, far as I remember, but I think somewhat dark.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I sorta wish that instead of recording "fuckface" they'd recorded different background for different special levels.  My high cha/int character happened to be a lawyer so it worked out, but... still.

(Okay that's not fair, the "Fuckface" thing sounds funny.  I'd be amazed if they made dialogue for "Roan")
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4834 on: December 14, 2015, 11:23:22 pm »

I don't know where people are finding all these abundant fusion cores, except shops.
Random ammo boxes. I once found 8 fusion cores in an ammo box in front of the BOS police station that I forget the name of at this moment. Yes, cores. Not cells. This was around level 15.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4835 on: December 14, 2015, 11:35:15 pm »

So I guess that makes me literally the only person who likes the pipe reflex sight :P
I mean, not as much as the ACTUAL reflex sights other guns get, but I think its better then the default sights at least.

Also am I the only one who does testing to see how much Shaun changes depending on what you and your other look like?
I mean, there is obviously defaultbrightwhite Shaun and black!Shaun, but I've been trying to see if for instance the claim that "Shaun has your eyes" made to the mother is true or not.

He inherits facial structure too - my brother made a hideously ugly character and Sean inherited the big ears and micrognathia.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4836 on: December 15, 2015, 06:49:20 am »

He inherits facial structure too - my brother made a hideously ugly character and Sean inherited the big ears and micrognathia.

I AM FINALLY HAPPY

Indeed, I do this.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4837 on: December 15, 2015, 10:43:59 am »

Here's something that bugs me immensely.

Namely, the high-end human enemy groups, Gunners. They have enough manpower and weapons to take over entire settlements and build extensive networks of fortifications throughout the Commonwealth for seemingly no goddamn reason other to just be there and attack random passers by (most often myself, but I've met some provisioners of mine engaged in firefights with them).

That's just plain stupid behaviour. Now raider groups I'd get. But a mercenary company? They have enough manpower and fortifications that they could easily be the richest group in the whole commonwealth by just providing safe havens to trade caravans or by offering their protective services to those who can pay. But nope, all they gotta do is sit around in their forts all day and shoot at brahmin because reasons I guess.

FFS just call them a raider gang, Bethesda. Don't fuck around with this "Mercenary company" nonsense. It was silly in FO3, and it's silly here. Hell, at least in FO3 you were occasionally ambushed by a group of Talons who went on about a bounty or somesuch and you could pretend that someone wants you dead. here, the gunners are just there because they're there.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4838 on: December 15, 2015, 11:18:38 am »

Here, the gunners are just there because they're there.

Sometimes right next door to Super Mutants and Raiders. A block away from each other. Do they fight? Nope. They are just there waiting for you. Every once in awhile a vertibird will show up and blow up.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4839 on: December 15, 2015, 11:26:57 am »

Yeah the Gunners are stupid as shit.

Indeed, I do this.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4840 on: December 15, 2015, 12:03:41 pm »

I had immense fun clearing out a Gunner nest, including two Legendary Assaultrons that got their lasers charged up... and totally missed both their lasers while i was still surprised.

Cleared the entire thing, sniped all the ones on the freeway above.

WHHHHIISTLE, somehow survive a mininuke to the face.

Spin to see where it came from, and their captain is firing another one. Dead. Not big surprise.

Mininukes are not remotely fun unless you've already spotted it firing, are quick enough to get into vats and snipe it out of the sky.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4841 on: December 15, 2015, 12:43:39 pm »

Yeah, I'm not really sure why mininukes are more common than missile launchers, that seems very much like a 'fuck you' feature.  Even high end PA doesn't really help with survival when some random unnamed gunner has a Fatman.  That said, it still doesn't really add to the challenge, either they hit you and you die or they don't and they die.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4842 on: December 15, 2015, 01:36:54 pm »

That'd work pretty well in FO3 and later.  "Oh this meatsack is invincible, better listen!"  In FO2... Wow, I don't think I *ever* tried shooting up Arroyo, but I assume you're permitted to?  I wonder how that even works with later events.

But in Fallout 1/2 I guess a mass-murderer would just have to find the Master or the Enclave on your own.  Almost positive it was impossible to render the games unwinnable (well, except for FO1's time restrictions...)
I remember getting help to reach the Enclave base (I only finished 2 not 1) but I'm sure there was a way.  Maybe a repair skill check.
IIRC, you can shoot up Arroyo and Vault 13, but you get game over'd once you leave. Cause you kinda destroyed the reason you were doing anything.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4843 on: December 15, 2015, 01:40:16 pm »

Yeah, I'm not really sure why mininukes are more common than missile launchers, that seems very much like a 'fuck you' feature.  Even high end PA doesn't really help with survival when some random unnamed gunner has a Fatman.  That said, it still doesn't really add to the challenge, either they hit you and you die or they don't and they die.

Your power armor fu is weak, obviously.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #4844 on: December 15, 2015, 01:42:52 pm »

Your power armor fu is weak, obviously.
Well, it's more annoying from the "common sense" point of view.
I mean, holy shit, thee amount of mini-nukes they're shooting all over the place would be enough for another three Great Wars.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.
Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 462