Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 831228 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Casuels Killed The Video Game
« Reply #4575 on: December 07, 2015, 08:54:54 pm »

I am trying to think of anything I like in Fallout 4

That isn't mired in bad.

I like cooking. Actually has a purpose in that it avoids rads.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4576 on: December 07, 2015, 08:58:21 pm »

I've done pretty well for legendary weapons of all sorts, it's legendary armour I can't find in any decent amount. Almost all of it is leather, metal or raider, which is rather lackluster when you're wearing full sturdy combat armour/rocking it in a full suit of X-01.  :-\

Legendaries can be 'sturdy' or 'heavy' too, they just don't show it. Leather and Metal actually have good defense at that level, as well, though where combat armor is balanced each of them is tilted toward one form of damage.

My problem is I keep getting synth armor legendaries, which is extraordinarily frustrating.
Nothing important here, move along.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4577 on: December 07, 2015, 09:07:17 pm »

Really? Synth armour seems to work pretty well, at least, for the stuff I got.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4578 on: December 07, 2015, 09:35:03 pm »

I have a full set of legendary combat armor. 2 of them have AP recovery and the rest have SPECIAL stat boost. Anything higher than that feels like overkill. Mainly because stacking med-x and psycho damage reduction is enough to cover the difference.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4579 on: December 07, 2015, 11:39:34 pm »

Really? Synth armour seems to work pretty well, at least, for the stuff I got.

You can compare the numbers. Synth is a little better than raider (maybe, I think it is but I didn't do a hard comparison), but it's not nearly as good as leather, metal, or combat armor at protecting you.
Nothing important here, move along.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4580 on: December 08, 2015, 01:35:49 am »

Whereas in Fallout 4 when you have a laser pistol/rifle/autorifle/sniper rifle the only differences are their damage, recoil, accuracy, rate of fire, type of sights, degree of zoom, effective range, movement speed, and physical appearance.

I don't know what game your referring to... In Fallout 4 what makes a "Sniper" weapon... isn't the scope...

Also Pistol and Rifles are exactly the same. You will NEVER be able to tell the difference between an amazing rifle versus an amazing pistol.
If you're going to cherrypick one thing to respond to, it helps to pick one which you have a response for. You gave a non sequitur which had nothing to do with what I said, and an unquantifiable claim. In case it was somehow unclear, I was being sarcastic when I noted that the "only" differences between weapon types were literally everything about them.

I can distinguish noticeable differences in performance between a pistol or rifle... about as much as I can in any of the previous games. More importantly, they have objective statistical differences and different appearances.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4581 on: December 08, 2015, 06:12:30 am »

You can compare the numbers.

Combat Armor Chestpiece: 15dam/15eng
Sturdy Combat Armor Chest: 25dam/25eng
Heavy Combat Armor Chest: 35dam/35eng

Synth chest: 12dam/17eng
Sturdy Synth: 25dam/29eng
Heavy Synth: 37dam/42eng

So the numbers say that while regular synth armor is vendor trash, the sturdy/heavy versions are THE BEST ARMOR IN THE GAME.
Basically Synth just seems crappier then it is because by the time you start seeing the base variant you see Sturdy or even Heavy versions of everything else.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4582 on: December 08, 2015, 07:51:22 am »

I gotta disagree with those points, Neonivek :P

But specifically, I think you're mistaken about the mods?  You don't need skill to attach mods, only to create them.  So if you pull one off another gun (by crafting a basic part, which is... dumb, but arguably balance I *guess*) then you can place it on the weapon you want.

The crafting skills are really just for convenience and expediency.

My issue is more that the modification was supposed to be expansive... but there are so many "the same thing but slightly better"... add onto the fact that many guns have the same modifications but require different skills...

1. Why does placing a recon scope on one weapon take more skill than another? it is the same recon scope.

2. I actually think that it makes the weapon variety feel smaller then in previous Fallouts.

3. So yes you CAN place a 10mm silencer on ANY 10mm... But that same silencer only works on a 10mm even though it is the same silencer that almost all the other weapons use... and when you create them it might be anywhere from 1 to 4 gunnery for no reason other than game mechanics.

In otherwords the problem with modification is that... It is so aggressively game... well one problem at least.
bold points added by me

1. It doesn't, remove the scope mod and attach it to any other, no skill required. The only stupid part about this is that removing the scope for some reason requires you to "build" a standard sights, which is ridiculous but I haven't seen a weapon for which I couldn't do it without needing a rank in the gun skills. Yes, that applies to the Deliverer as well.

2. You have pipe, pipe bolt-action, 10mm pistol, .44 pistol, submachine gun, syringer, laser, plasma, gauss rifle, gamma gun, Institute, laser musket, hunting rifle, sniper rifle, combat rifle, assault rifle, sniper rifle, double barrel shotgun, combat shotgun, minigun, gatling laser, missile launcher, fat man, all the melee weapons and the explody stuff (mines and grenades).

I am counting Institute as separate weapons because they do feel separate (higher ROF, better ammo capacity. They are well suited to autmatic upgrades. Least they would be if they weren't ugly as sin). If the "It's just laser but weaker and fugly" logic were followed, you could trim all weapons in all Fallout games to the strongest representative of the Plasma, Laser, Semi-auto, Automatic, Bolt-Action, Shotgun and Explodey categories and argue all other weapons are just weaker and fuglier/prettier variants of the same weapon.
I am however willing to concede the point on couting Institute, Laser, Plasma, Pipe, Pipe Revolver and Pipe Bolt Action as single entities rather than dividing them into pistol and rifle category.

Anyway, onto actual numbers:

Just keeping to firearms, energy weapons and heavy weapons, in FO4 you have 23 different weapons and 7 truly unique weapons (I.E. they have different models to the others and cannot be bought at vendors). All in all that's 30 different weapons (disregarding named weapons which are basically ordinary weapon models but with names and Legendary weapons), all of which are also highly modifiable. sauce

Now, in fallout 3, limiting myself once again to firearms, energy and heavy weapons (and only counting those available to you in the base game, without the DLC), you had 22 different weapons (yes, I counted the laser and plasma rifles and pistols as separate weapons) and 5 truly unique weapons (dart gun, railway rifle, rock-it launcher, Alien Blaster, Lincoln Repeater). So all in all, 28 different weapons. Then you also had the named weapons, but since I did not count those towards FO4, I shan't do it for FO3 either (because that'd mean all of the modifications for changing the weapons from rifles to pistols also get on the table). sors

Fallout New Vegas, on the other hand (same limitations apply) had 28 weapons and 17 truly unique weapons (with the added caveat that some of them are only texture modifications). All in all, 45 different weapons (give or take a few, I think I may have lost count a couple times), with most of the standard ones being somewhat modifiable. Again, I disregarded named weapons (at least some of them, because NV usually gave them a texture swap) and weapons added via DLC. sűrs

So while it may feel like FO4 has less weapon variety than previous fallout games, in reality it's only below Fallout New Vegas (And moves closer to it if you consider some modification paths as unique weapons) as far as the new fallout games are concerned.

3. untrue, silencers are heavily dependent on the weapon IRL. You can't take a 9mm pistol's silencer and screw it onto an AR-15 and have it be silenced. Hell, given the way silencers work IRL you can't even screw it onto another 9mm pistol and have it work unless that pistol has the ability to even mount a silencer in the first place.

WRT to some modifcations being obvious upgrades: I believe that was kind of the point. Like it has been said, most modifiable weapons can go two routes, eiher automatic or semi-automatic (higher dpsecond vs. higher dpshot) as far as damage is concerned and 3 routes as far as range is concerned (long-range, mid-range, short-range). All of those routes consist of obvious upgrades (with the routes being mostly sidegrades, depending on the player's playstyle) in order to prolong the weapon's useful lifetime within the game.

This way, keeping weapons and giving them names actually makes sense instead of discarding them the instant something with a higher number comes along. hell, I'm well into late game and still my fully upgraded 10mm pistol finds its fair share of use in combat.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 07:59:13 am by Krevsin »

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4583 on: December 08, 2015, 08:50:51 am »

Silenced 10mm pistol remained my favourite intial close contact weapon until I finally ran out of ammo. Sneaking and oneshotting people with worked rather well.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4584 on: December 08, 2015, 09:05:03 am »

Just to make it clear, I do not approve of everything Bethesda did with weapons in FO4.

For example, the assault rifle looks completely and utterly stupid. It might've worked if it were called a machine gun (hell, even "heavy rifle" I might've swallowed) but calling it an assault rifle and having it look like... well, like a WW1 machine gun just looks dumb. It also appears very late in the game and its ammo is relatively rare for a good while after it makes its appearance. It's also highly comparable to the much more common combat rifle in its preformance (albeit later upgrades surpass it) though it does have superior recoil control and dpsecond when compared to the most common combat rifle (the short version).

Likewise I am annoyed that a lot of guns take up too many square yonks of screen space (e.g. the much lamented Institute weaponry) and by the general uselessness of pipe weapons (your starter 10mm pistol is miles better than most pipe weapons you encounter and Vault 111 has enough 10mm ammo to last you for a while)

But what really annoys me is how the sturdy and heavy variants of armor aren't just upgrades you can apply to pieces of armor but instead have to be found (or bought at merchants if your level is high enough) in the game world. It's annoying as all hell AND it makes legendary items kinda useless unless you happen to find a Sturdy or Heavy legendary armor variant. Which I so far haven't.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 09:06:54 am by Krevsin »

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4585 on: December 08, 2015, 10:26:50 am »

Over all I quite like what Bethesda has done with Weapons/Armour, though I feel their aesthetic design needs work on some of the guns even though I can see where they were going with them. The melee weapons I pretty much always like the appearance of, especially bladed tire irons and the chinese swords. Armour wise I feel most look pretty good, even Synth (I know some people hate it, but I love the full face helmet the higher tier versions have,) not a fan of most of the helmets though. Bowl helmets look fugly to me, even if they are realistic.

I feel the stats on most guns mean it's worth keeping a tooled up weapon of each type around (except shotguns, because I hate them in most games) for different circumstances, but other than my Silver Submachinegun pretty much all my weapons wind up rigged as long rage sniper rifles so I can blow my enemies away from the other end of the street rather than carrying around some auto/battle-rifle variants. Melee weapons I feel less obliged to keep multiples of though, instead just keeping whatever my absolute best is. That said pipe weapons, combat rifles and assault rifles tend to be made automatic and dumped on a companion to spray fire while I snipe with lasers or hack things with a sword/knife.

I really like what they did with Power Armour, but then I'm a huge 40k fan so I may just be fond of the ways in which it feels like the way Space Marine handled astartes. I do think they need way too many fusion cores as is, I'd probably have at least doubled the base time a core allows, though I do understand why they wanted to keep it limited.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4586 on: December 08, 2015, 11:08:20 am »

To be honest the game is piss easy without power armour even on survival difficulty.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4587 on: December 08, 2015, 11:09:31 am »

To be honest the game is piss easy without power armour even on survival difficulty.

Well... if you stay on the yellow brick road.

Power Armor though can let you just break the game's intended curve instantly.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4588 on: December 08, 2015, 11:18:09 am »

I liked how even though they're moddable the weapons still look like the iconic... Icons (and models) from the previous games. This might not have been a relief for many but myself, but ever since I saw a 10mm in a preview or trailer that didn't look the way it was "supposed" to I had been worried the change in art direction had gone too far in the opposite direction of F3's "copy everything down to details" and ended up changing the iconic stuff. In hindsight it was just a 10mm with short barrel.

But yeah, I think they did good with the weapons and modifications and his they look (Assault rifle being the main exception). Armor is pretty great all over. I can't decide if I'm happy or let down that they removed the classic "one sleeve cut off" look from the leather jacket/road leathers, but since it was just a giant Mad Max reference to behind with it's not something I get very hung up on. It gets a bit unintentionally silly when every single leather jacket wearing guy has that one look.

In still squeeing over the return of layered clothing to Bethgames, of course, as well as more armour pieces. I hope they keep that for the next TES game as well.
Love, scriver~

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4589 on: December 08, 2015, 11:23:14 am »

In still squeeing over the return of layered clothing to Bethgames, of course, as well as more armour pieces. I hope they keep that for the next TES game as well.

Yeah, the layered armour system is definitely one of the better things, and I'd like to see it built on in their later products.

Bit disappointed they didn't implement a 'robe' slot Morrowwind style. I'd like to be able to wear trenchcoats over combat armour and suits and so on.

EDIT: Since I'm pretty close to finishing the main quest after a lot of side questing and dithering around I'm starting to think of what to do with my 2nd character. I'm tempted to go with a luck/charisma build to try out Idiot Savant, because I like the idea, and going for the name 'Fuckface' simply because I love how Codsworth says it.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 11:28:33 am by Grim Portent »
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.
Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 462